Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jfriedman8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
I currently have a Dell Inspiron 1720 2.5GHz 3GB BD R/W, Inspiron 1420 2.4GHz, 3GB, BD R, and Mac Mini 2.0GHz 1GB Superdrive. I am debating over buying a MacBook now or waiting for a MacBook Pro with Blu Ray. I want the MacBook so I can have something to use along side my Mini, which I use as a PVR and basically media center. Since Mac/PC are not so friendly to share files, I want a MacBook, but I am hesitant to either have 4 computers or sell one with Blu Ray that is portable. Either way when an MBP comes out with BD I will get that regardless. It is just frustrating not having a portable Mac in the meantime. Basically my question is should I buy the "blackbook" now or wait it out and sell the Inspiron 1420 to use towards a MBP BD whenever that time comes?

alexjdb

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2007
I currently have a Dell Inspiron 1720 2.5GHz 3GB BD R/W, Inspiron 1420 2.4GHz, 3GB, BD R, and Mac Mini 2.0GHz 1GB Superdrive. I am debating over buying a MacBook now or waiting for a MacBook Pro with Blu Ray. I want the MacBook so I can have something to use along side my Mini, which I use as a PVR and basically media center. Since Mac/PC are not so friendly to share files, I want a MacBook, but I am hesitant to either have 4 computers or sell one with Blu Ray that is portable. Either way when an MBP comes out with BD I will get that regardless. It is just frustrating not having a portable Mac in the meantime. Basically my question is should I buy the "blackbook" now or wait it out and sell the Inspiron 1420 to use towards a MBP BD whenever that time comes?

Do you really need the Blu-Ray reader - in your laptop ? If not, sell both Dells, buy your BlackBook and get a BRD player for your TV.

SeanEE89

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
VA, United States
I just bought my MacBook a little over a week ago and I couldn't be happy. Plus I doubt that Apple is going to include blu-ray readers in any computers for atleast another year. Unless your willing to wait I would just invest in a MacBook or MacBook Pro now.

jfriedman8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
I don't need it per say, but I like being able to watch blu ray movies on the road (I have a PS3 for home) on a 1440x900screen is still pretty good. I had the 2.16 Core Duo MBP so I love the OS, but I only paid $1100 for the Dell 1420 thanks to a 30% coupon and I'm not sure spending an extra $400 on a less featured laptop is worth it. I do alot of video conversions and the PC programs I use are faster than what I was using on my previous MBP, but with a Mac its easier to compress the files- The sole reason I really want the MB. Decisions decisions.....

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
<snip>.. I do alot of video conversions and the PC programs I use are faster than what I was using on my previous MBP, but with a Mac its easier to compress the files- The sole reason I really want the MB. Decisions decisions.....

The sole reason you want an MB is for video file compression? And you already have a PC with programs that do this?
That's an expensive purchase for this use alone.

I vote for wait. You don't need a computer, you just want one.

CKtoph

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2007
Personally, I wouldn't hold your breath for a MB Blu-Ray addition. Your absolute earliest point of expectation should be 2009 MacWorld.

Like other readers have said, if your biggest selling point is simply to watch a Blu-Ray disc on a laptop while on the road and you must have this now, then just get a PC. I'm sure you can find one with an internal Blu-Ray drive for a decent enough price.

ahaley1986

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2008
I am also trying to decide if I should buy now or wait. I have a dell inspiron 6000 and it's fine, but really starting to slow down and be tedious to use. That being said, I don't need a replacement immediately. Any suggestions if I should bite the bullet and buy a macbook now or wait for something better.

ghostguts

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Unless you're waiting for the new Macbook Pro, I would buy a Macbook right now. Whatever updates are to come are probably going to be minor.

ipodtouchy333

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2007
US
I am also trying to decide if I should buy now or wait. I have a dell inspiron 6000 and it's fine, but really starting to slow down and be tedious to use. That being said, I don't need a replacement immediately. Any suggestions if I should bite the bullet and buy a macbook now or wait for something better.

I have a Dell Insipron 4600 and am going to switch to mac. I'm waiting until June though just to make sure cause I would be pissed if they released new aluminum macbooks like some have speculated after a bought a blackbook. So, I'd say wait for 2 more months.

ghostguts

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
By the way, I have a Dell Inspiron 1420. While it's been reliable for the most part, I've noticed it slowing down recently, and I needed something for ultra portability and quick internet/presentation use, which is why I opted to get a Macbook (with 2gb of ram).

I now use my Dell Inspiron 1420 as a desktop computer, with my Macbook as my presentation/wireless internet surfing machine.

DaveWonders

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
I'd either get a new Penryn MB or save some serious money and get the Santa Rosa refurb for 1050....that's 30% off. If Mac Pros don't have BR, you can bet it's going to be even longer before a consumer device like a MB gets one. If BR is a must have keep the PC.

ahaley1986

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2008
ya i would be pretty upset if they released a aluminum macbook if i bought one now when i don't really need it. i guess i'll just wait until a new macbook release or if i simply just can't wait any longer:p

jfriedman8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Well since my Inspiron 1720's screen crapped out (I have another post on this if you care) I am returning that and that free's up about $2000. Looks like I'm down to either an ASUS M50 A1 or the MacBook Black and Maybe even an outside shot at a MBP but I'm not looking to overspend on the 2.5 model.

danzzz

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
LA

Waiting or buying has been an issued discussed in MBP sub-forum forever.

First, there's no problem with current MB or MBP's design, and I don't really expect the future design will have any big difference or will be much better than the current one.

Besides, if you need a computer for your work and you are okay with the current ones, buy a one for yourself! Save the time of waiting to enjoy the time of using these beautiful machines.

As for rumored aluminum MB, I don't really think it'll be coming out soon (at least not in this year). And the redesigned MBP will be only different on the keyboard I guess.

So, my suggestion is to BUY IT if you want a one!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.