Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malsaadi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2018
I am planning to buy a new MacBook pro, but the October event is around the corner, but at the same time there have not been any rumors about a new or updated mbp. what do you guys think?

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I am planning to buy a new MacBook pro, but the October event is around the corner, but at the same time there have not been any rumors about a new or updated mbp. what do you guys think?
Let me ask you this? What could apple upgrade in the 2018-10 MBP that isn't in the 2018-07 MBP? Its on the latest chipset, there's no new dGPU that would make sense to update and why risk angering everyone who bought a 2018 MBP in the summer. Makes less sense when they should be focusing on the Macs they did not refresh yet, MBA, MacBook, Mini, iMac etc.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
The only reason to wait is if you are unsure if you want a MacBook Pro or a potentially new MacBook Air/nTB/MacBook instead.

If you are set on a Pro model, buy, there is nothing new coming for it.

Reactions: SDColorado

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
The only reason to wait is if you are unsure if you want a MacBook Pro or a potentially new MacBook Air/nTB/MacBook instead.

If you are set on a Pro model, buy, there is nothing new coming for it.

The nTB is a Pro model. I think you mean that there is nothing new coming for the TB Pro models.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
The nTB is a Pro model. I think you mean that there is nothing new coming for the TB Pro models.

Well I consider the nTB not a real Pro, as in a nontraditional fashion it employs a 15w CPU which are typically used for MacBook Airs. In the October keynote itself, they actually tried to sell the nTB to Air users looking for an upgrade if memory serves me right.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Well I consider the nTB not a real Pro, as in a nontraditional fashion it employs a 15w CPU which are typically used for MacBook Airs. In the October keynote itself, they actually tried to sell the nTB to Air users looking for an upgrade if memory serves me right.

Hey you can consider it a helicopter if you like. Reality dictates otherwise of course. :D

Reactions: ixxx69 and rutrack

tamara6

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2004
or you could order a new touch bar macbook pro now and hope that the announcements of the new machines happen within your 14 day return timeframe - then you have the machine now, but can return it if apple announces something that you'd really rather have. Of course, we don't know when this "October Event" will happen - it is beginning to look like it will slip to Oct. 30, or maybe even into November.

At any rate, if you are looking for a touch bar macbook pro, it is unlikely that they'd be updated, whenever the event is. The non-touchbar pro, the macbook and the macbook air are all likely to see some sort of "update" - although that could be to simply remove them from the line up altogether (could be, for instance the nTB pro goes away, the macbook air is reformed into something that looks a lot like a nTB pro, and the macbook gets a processor update)

If you have time to wait, then wait - probably 2.5-3 weeks from now. If you want a TB pro, go ahead and get it now.

RandomDSdevel

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009
Kokomo, IN
The hopelessly optimistic part of me, infinitesimally small as it has gone and dwindled ever since 2012, is still pining for the triumphant return of the 17-inch MacBook Pro in an un-compromised manner. That's become so much of a pipe dream by now, though, that I'm increasingly resigning myself to getting some other, non-Mac laptop as a way to migrate away from the ailing hand-me-down of a mid-2007 24" iMac that I'm currently still stuck with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Falhófnir

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
OP, I guess it depends on what you want out of a MacBook, if an updated Air, or 13" version of the 12" MacBook would suit your needs then yeah, probably best to wait and save some cash over getting the 13" pro Touch Bar (or even the outdated ntb). If you want the iris graphics, 4x thunderbolt ports, 28W chip and... well, that's probably the sum of the differences with that machine tbh... then I don't think we'll see an update before next June.

The hopelessly optimistic part of me, infinitesimally small as it has gone and dwindled ever since 2012, is still pining for the triumphant return of the 17-inch MacBook Pro in an un-compromised manner. That's become so much of a pipe dream by now, though, that I'm increasingly resigning myself to getting some other, non-Mac laptop as a way to migrate away from the ailing hand-me-down of a mid-2007 24" iMac that I'm currently still stuck with.
Unfortunately Apple only really seem to care about people that want ultraportable 13" MacBooks - the 15 inch is even starting to feel a bit of an afterthought being pushed further towards being an expensive niche product for power users with the discontinuation of the iGPU only model at a more reasonable price for general users. I wouldn't be all that surprised to see it killed off after it 'declines in sales' (and starting at £2,700 for what you'd probably call a 'reasonable' configuration I don't think it's hard to see it doing so).

Reactions: Queen6

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Random wrote:
"The hopelessly optimistic part of me, infinitesimally small as it has gone and dwindled ever since 2012, is still pining for the triumphant return of the 17-inch MacBook Pro in an un-compromised manner."

Fearless, fearless prediction:
You will still be repeating this on your deathbed.

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
Random wrote:
"The hopelessly optimistic part of me, infinitesimally small as it has gone and dwindled ever since 2012, is still pining for the triumphant return of the 17-inch MacBook Pro in an un-compromised manner."

Fearless, fearless prediction:
You will still be repeating this on your deathbed.

And after your death Apple will announce a 17" MacBook Pro fully loaded with a ports and boasting a scissor-lift keyboard, user-upgradeable drive and memory, standard five-year warranty, and priced to sell at $1200.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Let me ask you this? What could apple upgrade in the 2018-10 MBP that isn't in the 2018-07 MBP? Its on the latest chipset, there's no new dGPU that would make sense to update and why risk angering everyone who bought a 2018 MBP in the summer. Makes less sense when they should be focusing on the Macs they did not refresh yet, MBA, MacBook, Mini, iMac etc.

the return period is 2 weeks
if there is something you like better announced oct - then return it

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I'm wondering if after the keynote, as Tim is walking off stage turns his mic off and says, "Oh we are doing a minor spec bump to the Pro's to fix the pesky T2 issue."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.