Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Midgetinabikini

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2006
So my office gave me 5000 nis (about 1150 euro/1300 USD) I already have Macmini 2014 but without any upgrades and this one will be the same, only with SSD. My problem is, that I can't work with Windows. I got nothing against it, but I'm used to OSX and I find it perfect for me, plus I can use Logic.

Now, I can buy at the same price, a brand new PC with 16G RAM, SSD, Core I5 6600 and ATI R9 270 GPU.

The computer should hold at least 3 years, and that's another reason I'm afraid of another Macmini. What do you think should I do? I work at audio editing and recording.

Thanks

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
So my office gave me 5000 nis (about 1150 euro/1300 USD) I already have Macmini 2014 but without any upgrades and this one will be the same, only with SSD. My problem is, that I can't work with Windows. I got nothing against it, but I'm used to OSX and I find it perfect for me, plus I can use Logic.

Now, I can buy at the same price, a brand new PC with 16G RAM, SSD, Core I5 6600 and ATI R9 270 GPU.

The computer should hold at least 3 years, and that's another reason I'm afraid of another Macmini. What do you think should I do? I work at audio editing and recording.

Thanks

If OX S and Logic Pro X are what you like to work with, get the Mac Mini specced to suit your needs and budget. Sure, you can pick up a Windows machine with fancier specs for your budget, but hardware is not the be all and end all.

The Mini is likely to be updated some time within the next few months to a year, but that will not make the current model obsolete. It should see out several generations before support is dropped in future OS X iterations. The early 2009 Mini came out with OS X 10.5, but it can run the latest OS X 10.11.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
If OX S and Logic Pro X are what you like to work with, get the Mac Mini specced to suit your needs and budget. Sure, you can pick up a Windows machine with fancier specs for your budget, but hardware is not the be all and end all.
This. OS X is one of the biggest selling points for me when I'm in the market for a new desktop machine. I have a base model late 2012 Mac mini and it's still going strong - it's also my only desktop machine.

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States

Thanks
3 years no problem... as long as it has an SSD.

However, you didn't indicate why the MM 2014 you already own isn't cutting it. The SSD will make the MM feel like a really zippy computer for everyday stuff, but it's not going to transform it into a Logic powerhouse. Logic likes fast CPUs and lots of RAM.

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
Will a MM(Late 2014), 2.8GHZ, 8GB Ram, 256 SSD cut-ii with Logic??
I'm not a Logic expert, so I can't speak to specific examples, and expectations of performance are always subjective. Those specs are pretty bottom end on the CPU side, but if all you're doing is really simple audio work/hobbyist, sure, it will work. But Logic and a lot of the plug-ins/effects can take advantage of lots of CPU cores, which is something that MM dual core is lacking.

Midgetinabikini

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2006
3 years no problem... as long as it has an SSD.

However, you didn't indicate why the MM 2014 you already own isn't cutting it. The SSD will make the MM feel like a really zippy computer for everyday stuff, but it's not going to transform it into a Logic powerhouse. Logic likes fast CPUs and lots of RAM.

The problem I have is the loading times, 5400rpm drive, replacing it will be a nightmare for me, including few days of not being able to work (have to ship it to tech, etc)
I decided to go for new MM with SSD, this MM will replace my early 2009 MM (still works as HTPC, 720P)

Reactions: janitor3

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You will find that the SSD (instead of HDD) makes all the difference in the world.

Even moreso with the 2014 Mini, because it has a PCIe based SSD (instead of a SATA based drive). You should be seeing read speeds around 730mbps or so...

Midgetinabikini

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2006
Still had thoughts about getting a PC and install Adobe Audition, but I couldn't do it and asked for extra money. Just ordered new 2014 MM with SSD and 16GB RAM. This will hold for at least 3 years (and if my early 2009 MM still runs, it will hold much more)

Thank you everyone for the emotional support :-D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.