Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bryant2108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2018
So I’m looking to upgrade to a MacBook Pro, after finally getting fed up with my 2010 MacBook. B&H has a sale ending tonight, with the 2017 Touch Bar pros included. The specs I’m looking at are $450 off ($1549 instead of $1999). I know there were no new MacBook pros announced yesterday, so it’s not like companies need to liquidate them at this point. That being said, would anyone expect to see a better deal in 3 weeks, or is it best to just scoop it up at this point? Thanks

Leo90

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Switzerland
Scoop it up! Just make sure you stress your system a lot within return period and check how the keyboard behaves. I bought a MBP 15 inch and after 9 days keys were getting sticky when working under heavy load, needless to say I returned it.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I purchased the labor day sale on B&H 15" 2017 $700 off. Basically this sale has lasted since just before labor day on most 2017 models. Are you leaning for the 2017 13" 3.1 8gb ram 512ssd $1549? Apple refurbished also has that for $1609.

Maybe Black Friday you can get 16GB of ram too for about that price. If I was in the market for a 13" now, I would consider a refurbished 2018 4 core.

Farns514

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
Chicago
I recently just sold my 2017 Macbook Pro w/TB 256GB SSD on craigslist for $1400 with apple care warranty until 2021 and purchased an open-box 2018 Macbook Pro w/TB 512GB SSD from Best Buy for $1600($2k - new). I inspected it and there was literally not a single thing wrong with it. I couldn't be happier since i had a couple issues with the keyboard on my 2017 and now the 2018 versions have the updated keyboard that helps fix the issue.

If you are ok with an Open Box, i think you can get the best bang for your buck. If the open box item is not 'geek squad' certified, you can typically ask if they can do better on price and throw out an offer which is what i did and they accepted it.

Reactions: Bryant2108

Bryant2108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2018
I purchased the labor day sale on B&H 15" 2017 $700 off. Basically this sale has lasted since just before labor day on most 2017 models. Are you leaning for the 2017 13" 3.1 8gb ram 512ssd $1549? Apple refurbished also has that for $1609.

Maybe Black Friday you can get 16GB of ram too for about that price. If I was in the market for a 13" now, I would consider a refurbished 2018 4 core.

Yeah, that's the one that I'm looking at. That's the only thing that's holding me back, I'm partial to the 16GB RAM, though I'm sure I could survive with 8
[doublepost=1540997330][/doublepost]
I recently just sold my 2017 Macbook Pro w/TB 256GB SSD on craigslist for $1400 with apple care warranty until 2021 and purchased an open-box 2018 Macbook Pro w/TB 512GB SSD from Best Buy for $1600($2k - new). I inspected it and there was literally not a single thing wrong with it. I couldn't be happier since i had a couple issues with the keyboard on my 2017 and now the 2018 versions have the updated keyboard that helps fix the issue.

If you are ok with an Open Box, i think you can get the best bang for your buck. If the open box item is not 'geek squad' certified, you can typically ask if they can do better on price and throw out an offer which is what i did and they accepted it.

Oh ok, so they did fix the keyboard issue on the 2018? I was a bit weary of that, though I did see that Apple will fix them for free (I guess up to 4 years after it was released?)

Farns514

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
Chicago
Yeah, that's the one that I'm looking at. That's the only thing that's holding me back, I'm partial to the 16GB RAM, though I'm sure I could survive with 8
[doublepost=1540997330][/doublepost]

Oh ok, so they did fix the keyboard issue on the 2018? I was a bit weary of that, though I did see that Apple will fix them for free (I guess up to 4 years after it was released?)

Yeah based off my usage so far, i have not had a single issue with it, like I had with my 2017. From what i understand from the article below here on MacRumors, Apple created a membrane to prevent debris from getting in there. If you do run into issues, im sure Apple will make it right and fix the keyboard.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...rom-entering-the-butterfly-mechanism.2128308/

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
So I’m looking to upgrade to a MacBook Pro, after finally getting fed up with my 2010 MacBook. B&H has a sale ending tonight, with the 2017 Touch Bar pros included. The specs I’m looking at are $450 off ($1549 instead of $1999). I know there were no new MacBook pros announced yesterday, so it’s not like companies need to liquidate them at this point. That being said, would anyone expect to see a better deal in 3 weeks, or is it best to just scoop it up at this point? Thanks
I’m debating the same thing - going for one of the current deals at B&H that end tonight or waiting for a better deal over Thanksgiving or Christmas. I’m debating whether to go for this 15 inch model at B&H. I figure that with the 4 year free replacement offer by Apple of keyboard (if defective), not much risk...and a big savings.
  • 2017 2.9 i7, 16GB, 512 SSD, AMD 560 ($2,099)

Also considering this deal from Adorama on a 2018 15 inch model (sale ends today too):
  • 2018 2.6 i7, 16GB, 512 SSD, AMD 560X ($2,499)
No sales tax (to Georgia) for either.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
make sure you stress your system a lot within return period

B&H's return period for computers ends the moment you open it.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/HelpCenter/ReturnExchange.jsp
[doublepost=1541004612][/doublepost]
For now... That changes January 1, 2019. See http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/display/20172018/HB/61

(and on Tuesday be sure to thank Stacy Abrams for sponsoring that bill)

Reactions: jmoore5196

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
B&H's return period for computers ends the moment you open it.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/HelpCenter/ReturnExchange.jsp
[doublepost=1541004612][/doublepost]
For now... That changes January 1, 2019. See http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/display/20172018/HB/61

(and on Tuesday be sure to thank Stacy Abrams for sponsoring that bill)
Ah yes, I’m aware of the Jan 1 deadline :). That plus tax write-off that I need this year (it’s for my business) are strong incentives to take one of the current deals!!

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
Actually, there were new MacBook Pros announced via press release. Not a huge upgrade, but they are updating the 15" with AMD Vega GPUs next month, which should be a pretty good jump in graphics performance.

Bryant2108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2018
I’m debating the same thing - going for one of the current deals at B&H that end tonight or waiting for a better deal over Thanksgiving or Christmas. I’m debating whether to go for this 15 inch model at B&H. I figure that with the 4 year free replacement offer by Apple of keyboard (if defective), not much risk...and a big savings.

Also considering this deal from Adorama on a 2018 15 inch model (sale ends today too):

Yeah, it’s a tough call. I would love a 2018, but the price points are a bit high for us right now. I guess I could always grab the 2017 now (knowing that I can’t open it) and see what BF has. That way, I can still return it. Although, having it in the house for 3 weeks and not opening it will be a challenge lol

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
Yeah, it’s a tough call. I would love a 2018, but the price points are a bit high for us right now. I guess I could always grab the 2017 now (knowing that I can’t open it) and see what BF has. That way, I can still return it. Although, having it in the house for 3 weeks and not opening it will be a challenge lol
Yeah, that’s a good point! Go ahead and grab one now from B&H and just keep it under wraps to wait/see if better deals come along! If so, return it (unopened of course:)

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011

I decided to go for the 2017 version (2.9 i7, 16GB, 512 SSD, 560 graphics). I found a link from Apple Insider to a page on B&H site selling this in Space Grey for $2,049. It’s odd though, if you navigate to the same MacBook Pro going though B&H site navigation, it takes you to the same laptop for $2,149 (in Space Grey) and the B&H item number is different. In fact, you can’t even use the B&H search, using their own item numbrer to find the one for $2,049 on their site. Can’t navigate to it and can’t search for it - can only get to it from the Apple insider link (pasted below). I called B&H to confirm and they were stumped. They said, yeah...it’s the same MacBook Pro, but they couldn’t navigate to the $2,049 one on thier site either. They said go for the cheaper one if you can pull up the page and add it to your cart...it’s the same laptop!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1433461-REG/apple__15_4_macbook_pro_with.html

Reactions: IngerMan

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I decided to go for the 2017 version (2.9 i7, 16GB, 512 SSD, 560 graphics). I found a link from Apple Insider to a page on B&H site selling this in Space Grey for $2,049. It’s odd though, if you navigate to the same MacBook Pro going though B&H site navigation, it takes you to the same laptop for $2,149 (in Space Grey) and the B&H item number is different. In fact, you can’t even use the B&H search, using their own item numbrer to find the one for $2,049 on their site. Can’t navigate to it and can’t search for it - can only get to it from the Apple insider link (pasted below). I called B&H to confirm and they were stumped. They said, yeah...it’s the same MacBook Pro, but they couldn’t navigate to the $2,049 one on thier site either. They said go for the cheaper one if you can pull up the page and add it to your cart...it’s the same laptop!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1433461-REG/apple__15_4_macbook_pro_with.html

Good find. I bought the same one a few months back for $2099 B&H. No tax at the time but that has changed now for my state. So I am glad I got it. It's a lovely machine and I have been very happy with it. I retired my 13" to my wife.

Reactions: DSTOFEL

Bryant2108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2018

Good deal! I noticed that, too. The link is a different price. Is having the 16 GB 2.9 quad 15-inch worth $500 more than the 8 GB 3.1 dual core that’s 13-inch, if just using it for basic functioning and some GarageBand? I’m not editing videos or pictures or playing games or anything like that.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
Good deal! I noticed that, too. The link is a different price. Is having the 16 GB 2.9 quad 15-inch worth $500 more than the 8 GB 3.1 dual core that’s 13-inch, if just using it for basic functioning and some GarageBand? I’m not editing videos or pictures or playing games or anything like that.

I’m going to take your advise and “hold onto” the one I just bought (unopened) through Thanksgiving. “If” the 2018 similarly spec’d model gets a good sale price, I may consider trading up. Luckily, I have another laptop I’m using now and don’t need to rush in setting up the new MacBook Pro.

To your question: Personally, I’d say it’s not worth the $500 difference given your use case. Honestly, I’d think that any of the 2017 13 inch MBP’s, the latest 12 inch Macbook or the new MacBook Air would work very well for the basic functioning you described and they all come in a small/light form factor....if you value that. I had the original 12 inch (lowest spec’d) Macbook when they came out. I bought it for my wife to use and I ended up using it for almost everything (except photo/video editing, etc...).

For me: I had a 2012 RMBP 15 inch that I used for a few years (8GB RAM, 212SSD, i7): I used it for work (Consulting) and had Paralells running on it so that I could also run Windows, also Lightroom for photos, Microsoft Office products (Excel, Word, Access etc..) and it was fine with the excption that I was taxing the 8GB RAM from time to time and had to manage the storage a bit. My use case with this new one is not much different except I also use Final Cut Pro X now for video editing. But still, the one I’m getting is probably overkill for how I use it....I just like to have a little “headroom”! If I were not doing these things with a laptop, I’d be looking at more the Macbook, MacBook Air or MBP 13 line for sure.

Maybe get one from B&H now if you’ve got your eye on one that’s a good value and hold onto it over the holidays to see if a better deal comes along!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryant2108

Bryant2108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2018
I’m going to take your advise and “hold onto” the one I just bought (unopened) through Thanksgiving. “If” the 2018 similarly spec’d model gets a good sale price, I may consider trading up. Luckily, I have another laptop I’m using now and don’t need to rush in setting up the new MacBook Pro.

To your question: Personally, I’d say it’s not worth the $500 difference given your use case. Honestly, I’d think that any of the 2017 13 inch MBP’s, the latest 12 inch Macbook or the new MacBook Air would work very well for the basic functioning you described and they all come in a small/light form factor....if you value that. I had the original 12 inch (lowest spec’d) Macbook when they came out. I bought it for my wife to use and I ended up using it for almost everything (except photo/video editing, etc...).

For me: I had a 2012 RMBP 15 inch that I used for a few years (8GB RAM, 212SSD, i7): I used it for work (Consulting) and had Paralells running on it so that I could also run Windows, also Lightroom for photos, Microsoft Office products (Excel, Word, Access etc..) and it was fine with the excption that I was taxing the 8GB RAM from time to time and had to manage the storage a bit. My use case with this new one is not much different except I also use Final Cut Pro X now for video editing. But still, the one I’m getting is probably overkill for how I use it....I just like to have a little “headroom”! If I were not doing these things with a laptop, I’d be looking at more the Macbook, MacBook Air or MBP 13 line for sure.

Maybe get one from B&H now if you’ve got your eye on one that’s a good value and hold onto it over the holidays to see if a better deal comes along!

Thanks, yeah I just ordered the $1549 model and will hold onto it until thanksgiving, and see what happens.. before opening it!

TheyCallMeBT

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2013

Do you have to go to the store to see what they have in stock for open box? Or can you see it online?

Farns514

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
Chicago
Do you have to go to the store to see what they have in stock for open box? Or can you see it online?

Most of the time you can see it online but on this occasion i went into the store and they so happened to have an 'Excellent' open-box for $1659 and I asked if they would do $1600. It's always worth it to head into the store. I typically call first and see what versions they have as open box before i go in.

Reactions: TheyCallMeBT
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.