Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bnemesis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2003
Greetings!
I hope to soon be a new Mac convert, and have decided on an Ibook, since my desktop PC is still usable, and I cant afford a Powerbook.

My question is, in the next month, does anyone foresee an Ibook update?
What would make me wait on a purchase, would be if they planned on bumping the speed up to at least 1GHZ, and updated the graphics chipset to something a little newer like the Radeon 9100 mobile. Panther would also be nice. Not too much of a change from what there is now, but enough to make me wait. Also, if there was an Ibook price drop, that would be nice too ;)

Any suggestions?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Based on the buyer's guide:

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//

shows that iBooks were last updated in April 2003.

It looks like it will be a bit longer before they are updated again. There have been no substantial rumors on the iBooks recently.

IBM's 750GX G3 Processor is due in December 2003. So, if you assume that that will be the procesor used, then it's likely not going to be updated until MWSF 2004 (Jan 2004).

arn

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
how long are you willing to wait? get the one you like when it's available when you want it. i think it's rather silly to wait for stuff you don't know if it's even coming. even then, you will have the best and the most recent [ibook/pb/anything computer related] for just a few months. get it when you want it for specs/price you can accept and start enjoying it. no point looking back.

there's been many other threads on people asking about buying ibook/pb, etc. you might want to check those out.

thebossisback

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2003
Providence, RI
No matter when you buy there will always be something new that will come out. I know someone thats been waiting 5 years to buy a powermac and each time a new one comes out he waits thinks they will come out with bette ones

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.