Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peower

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Hi everyone.

I'm about to switch from linux to apple. I plan to buy new 12" iBook. I want to burn my home made videos (shot with minidv-camera) to dvd using iMovie and iDVD.

Since 12" iBook does not have superdrive I need to buy external firewire dvd-recorder.

I have heard that there has previously been some problems with iDVD and external dvd-recorders but iDVD 5 should support at least some of them.

Question is: which external dvd-recorders work fully with iDVD 5? Any comments about your own experiences are appreciated.

Please, could some one help me with this. I'm very eager to order my first apple but before I can do that I need an answer to this one.

-P

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
They would all work with iDVD5 you may need to install patchburn from http://www.patchburn.de to get it detected by iDVD but otherwise it will work fine...

I suggest you build one yourself using a DVD writer and nice enclosure if you are looking to save money, if not go for a lacie external dvd writer,

SHadOW

peower

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Thank you for a quick reply :)

I would like to buy burner which wouldn't need patchburn. Money isn't the biggest issue but compatibility is :)

Which one you would recommend?

nsheikh80

macrumors regular
May 2, 2005
London, England
My experience is that NO external DVD writer works with iMovie 5. Infact, it is even stated on the Patchburn website.

However, there is always an alternative. iDVD 5 allows you to export the movie as an image so you can burn the image using your external DVD writer with no problems.

I recently bought an external DVD writer for my 12" PB. I bought the Pioneer DVR-110D with an external enclosure. I used Patchburn to get Mac OS X to recognise the DVD writer and it worked pretty well. Coupled with Roxio Toast, there is nothing you can't do on an external DVD writer that you can do on an internal DVD writer.

But the DVD writer is not recognised in Finder so I can't use burn folders. Apart from that all is coolio.

peower

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
nsheikh80 said:
My experience is that NO external DVD writer works with iMovie 5. Infact, it is even stated on the Patchburn website.

However, there is always an alternative. iDVD 5 allows you to export the movie as an image so you can burn the image using your external DVD writer with no problems.

I recently bought an external DVD writer for my 12" PB. I bought the Pioneer DVR-110D with an external enclosure. I used Patchburn to get Mac OS X to recognise the DVD writer and it worked pretty well. Coupled with Roxio Toast, there is nothing you can't do on an external DVD writer that you can do on an internal DVD writer.

But the DVD writer is not recognised in Finder so I can't use burn folders. Apart from that all is coolio.

Hi.

Good to hear that I can export dvd-images from iDVD and burn them with Toast.

Especially because today I ordered 12" iBook and external firewire Lacie D2 16x lightscribe dvd-writer with Toast 6 Titanium :)

I can tell my experiences here if you or anyone else is interested when I get my iBook.

It's so hard to calmly wait 2-3 weeks :p

verozov

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2005
Columbia, SC
i just got a memorex and therefore didn't get a superdrive on my ibook (long story)... it works great, fast, usb or firewire, and looks pretty good too... o ya the price wasn't bad either

peower

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
SpaceMagic said:
I'm very interested! Cheers.

Hi.

I decided to buy external Lacie firewire D2 16x dvd+-rw drive with Toast Titanium 6. I got my new iBook this Monday and finally got chance to test drive and iBook together. I created new movie with iMovie and imported it to iDVD. After that I burned it as video dvd using my external firewire drive. Everything worked without problems. I even didn't have to install any drivers etc :)

BTW, this iBook is my first apple product and so far I have been very satisfied. Everything seems to be so easy with mac.

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
Two days ago UPS delivered my LaCie 16x Dual Layer DVD burner from Amazon. $157 and no tax/shipping charges. Boss!

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
peower said:
Hi.

I decided to buy external Lacie firewire D2 16x dvd+-rw drive with Toast Titanium 6. I got my new iBook this Monday and finally got chance to test drive and iBook together. I created new movie with iMovie and imported it to iDVD. After that I burned it as video dvd using my external firewire drive. Everything worked without problems. I even didn't have to install any drivers etc :)

BTW, this iBook is my first apple product and so far I have been very satisfied. Everything seems to be so easy with mac.

Sorry, but did you have to use Toast, or did it burn right from iDVD?

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Me? I'd buy a new internal superdrive and have an apple tech put it in. In fact, I just did that with an iBook under warranty.

agentbob

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2004
Which 5.25 External Enclosure to get for DVD Burning?

I'm looking to buy an external enclosure + dvd-r for my macs. I've currently got a tibook 667 and an imac g5... I've had trouble in the past with an LG drive in no-name enclosure...

The macs I tried it on would see it as a dvd/cd reader, but wouldn't burn to it even with patchburn nor toast. It also wouldn't boot off cds/dvds sometimes.

The new drive I'm thinking to get will be a pioneer, I'm just wondering what models/brands of enclosures people have had success with

Thanks,

Dan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.