Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RJQJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2018
So I'm in the market for a nostalgia trip and I wouldn't mind a little device to listen to when I'm traveling. So the Ipod Nano seems like a good idea, but is it worth buying any of the mentioned ones in the title in this day and age? My main concerns are battery life (which getting a referb model would solve, but I don't wanna spend too much) and capability with current and future versions of iTunes.

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
If you want a dedicated music player they still work perfectly fine for that, as with any iPod honestly. The current version of iTunes is even still compatible with the original iPod from 2001 so there shouldn't be any worries in that regard.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I would suggest the first generation for one reason; it's easier to replace the battery in it than subsequent nanos. I recently got a first-get 4GB nano for free from a local electronics recycler, and replaced the battery in it. About 10 seconds to open it up, and another minute to solder in the new battery and it's rocking out again.
The second generation isn't that bad to get into, although it is more complex than the first. However, getting to the solder points is a larger PITA than on the first. The third generation is a pain in the butt to open up, both sides being made of metal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.