Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

memphismac

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2003
I'm just about settled on buying a new iMac, but I'm not sure if I should wait for Tiger or not.

What have the update procedures/timelines been like in the past?

Brian

FWIW: I'm currently using an iMac DVSE Graphite (400mhz, I think).

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
1. As soon as Apple announces a shipping date, people buying new machines should be eligible for the $19.95 Mac OS X Up-to-Date program.

2. People buying new machines the day before the announcement are eligible for the full whack update at $129.

You know it's coming, Apple hasn't announced a ship date yet... so you'll probably be grouped with (2) if you buy a machine now.

As far as the new iMacs, they'll likely be speed bumped after the updated PowerMacs hit the streets.

Manzana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Orange County, CA
memphismac said:
FWIW: I'm currently using an iMac DVSE Graphite (400mhz, I think).

no one really knows the actual ship date of tiger...it could be 6 mos from now, and many people buy right away, but others like myself will wait 2-3 mos to see how the initial installs go...i would buy when iLife 05 is bundled with it.

mox358

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2002
Indiana
Forget tiger, I'm waiting for the next iMac update to see if they improve the graphics card any! :D

Seriously though I am in your same predicament - looking to update to a new iMac G5 from an older iMac, and waiting to see how the cards fall. I think I'm going to go ahead and get Tiger first (if it comes out before an iMac refresh with a new GFX card) for my older iMac, and then get the iMac G5 with tiger pre-installed. If they don't refresh the GFX card I'm still going to get one, but it'd be nice to get a little bump if I can (and my iMac now is still performing fine for me).

Just my 2 cents.

memphismac

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2003
Thanks for the comments. I think I'm going to give it until early March and see where things are.

Maybe by then we'll have a ship date for Tiger, and maybe even price drops or speed bumps...

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
mox358 said:
Forget tiger, I'm waiting for the next iMac update to see if they improve the graphics card any! :D

Seriously though I am in your same predicament - looking to update to a new iMac G5 from an older iMac, and waiting to see how the cards fall.

Pun intended?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.