Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luis.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
England
Hey,

I'm planning on buying a MacBook for College. I have a few questions, please could you help me with them?

1. Looking at the specs for the entry level MacBook it looks sufficient, but does anyone have any experience on how well it handles Word Processing, Spreadsheets etc (I'm going to be doing an ICT programming course) and maybe the odd Ps project?

2. This would be purely a guess, but does anyone know what time (roughly) they MIGHT update the MacBooks? I just don't really want to buy one, only for them to refresh them a few months later.

3. Final question, iWork vs Microsoft Office? And are there any good pieces of software I should check out when I get it?

Thanks.

Last edited:

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Hey,

I'm planning on buying a MacBook for College. I have a few questions, please could you help me with them?

1. Looking at the specs for the entry level MacBook it looks sufficient, but does anyone have any experience on how well it handles Word Processing, Spreadsheets etc (I'm going to be doing an ICT programming course) and maybe the odd Ps project?

2. This would be purely a guess, but does anyone know what time (roughly) they MIGHT update the MacBooks? I just don't really want to buy one, only for them to refresh them a few months later.

3. Final question, iWork vs Microsoft Office? And are there any good pieces of software I should check out when I get it?

Thanks.

Yes it will handle word processing and stuff like that just fine.

The most recent rumor is march 1 for the MBP. Who knows as far as the MB goes. If I were you, id look more into the entry level 13 mbp. for a little more $ you get backlit keyboard, more ram, aluminum casing. Use the edu discount as well.

iwork hasn't been updated in a while. I would buy office 11.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
1. Laptops have been able to handle word processing and similar office stuff for years. That is purely dependent on the speed of user input (i.e. typing), any MacBook (or even iBook) can handle that.

2. Apple's prior history shows that MacBook is usually updated a month after MBPs. Nobody knows what Apple will do though. If I was you, I would look at 13" MBP when it gets updated.

3. There are trials of both so try them out before buying. If you need good compatibility with Windows, Office for Mac is your best bet.

Luis.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
England
Yes it will handle word processing and stuff like that just fine.

The most recent rumor is march 1 for the MBP. Who knows as far as the MB goes. If I were you, id look more into the entry level 13 mbp. for a little more $ you get backlit keyboard, more ram, aluminum casing. Use the edu discount as well.

iwork hasn't been updated in a while. I would buy office 11.

The difference is £200, so not much, but for now I think I just want to get a MacBook that can get me through College x]

It's my first Mac, so I won't be too picky, and it was stress enough to try get this one. But, as for the final decision, it just depends how much money I have nearer the time I actually begin the course. If I have enough to get the MBP, or at least nearly enough, I'll get it.

+ as for iWork and Office, thanks, I'll bare that in mind. :)

.Max.

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2011
United Kindom
Hate to make the choice harder but if it's for college and your strapped for cash, how about an entry level Macbook Air, Yeah the specs are lower but if it's for college I suspect you'll need it portable, Can't get much more portable than the MBA also it has the Aluminium body which will show less wear and won't crack unlike the plastic, although it's unlikley to crack with these new models, I was just reading this thread here and if you scroll down, some people's have cracked, and being lugged 'round all day it's likely to have a few bumps :p. Anyway either one is a great choice ;)

Luis.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
England
Hate to make the choice harder but if it's for college and your strapped for cash, how about an entry level Macbook Air, Yeah the specs are lower but if it's for college I suspect you'll need it portable, Can't get much more portable than the MBA also it has the Aluminium body which will show less wear and won't crack unlike the plastic, although it's unlikley to crack with these new models, I was just reading this thread here and if you scroll down, some people's have cracked, and being lugged 'round all day it's likely to have a few bumps :p. Anyway either one is a great choice ;)

Thanks, the MBA was never really a consideration because I just thought, "Hmm... Ultraportable, with flash memory. EXPENSIVE."

(Blame my ignorance for not even bothering to look at the prices for the MBA... LOL)

*ATM* it still looks like it'll be the MB rather than MBP or MBA. However, nearer the time I'll deffo check out both options more in-depth.

Btw, may sound stupid, and I done a quick Google search, most of my results returned to do with 'UNIBODY CAR' etc. But what does Unibody actually mean for laptops and why would that make them less prone to cracking?

Thanks. The support on the site is pretty nice.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
You need to do a little more research...

The plastic MB is more prone to cracking because it's plastic. The MBP is made out of a single piece of aluminum which provides better protection and heat displacement.

.Max.

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2011
United Kindom
(The MBA and MB are the same price :p)

I wouldn't say it's a bad idea, It's a great laptop :D Just that the Aliminium ones are more likley to last ;)

Luis.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
England
(The MBA and MB are the same price :p)

I wouldn't say it's a bad idea, It's a great laptop :D Just that the Aliminium ones are more likley to last ;)

I'll aim for the MB just purely because it's cheaper, but if I have enough money for the MBP before I NEED the laptop, I'll get the MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.