Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wangahrah

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2001
iQuit said:
I am buying a new graphics card for my new PC until I can afford a better graphics card or until a new PowerBook comes out... Which one should I get? Is the XFX NVIDEA FX 5500 pretty much the best one? Thanks for the replies in advance.

No, I would recommend avoiding the 5xxx....try a 6600GT. Then again, I don't exactly know your price range , mobo, or what games you really like to play. A decent system with that card will probably beat out a powerbook in gaming though. Don't buy a mac laptop to game=)

iQuit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2005
Los Angeles
Not for gaming....I only have 64 MB of onboard graphics in my new PC, my other machines are not nearly as fast and Mac is starting to dissapoint me as of the moment....so I need this for just some video editing until I get something better, either a better graphics card or a new Mac or PC. I want a 17" PB and have the money saved up....but I am not paying for that outdated system. I am starting to glance over at some of the new Windoze Lappies....I have been waiting since WWDC for an update. Actually I think before that.

carlos700

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2004
Omaha, NE
If you have AGP 8X, I would go for the ATI RADEON 9600/9800 over any GeForce FX 5xxx card.

If you have PCI-Express, I would go for ATI RADEON X550 or better or NVIDIA GeForce 6500 or better.

iQuit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2005
Los Angeles
I dunno if I have AGP 8X.....just I know I have a AGP slot (one) and that PCI cards aren't as fast.

(edit) the ones you mentioned are too much... I only have 50-65$ to spend.
(edit2) I can actually only spend Max $55....I forgot I have a $400 cell phone bill

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
The GeForce FX 5500 is a decent gfx card, that's what I originally had in my PC. But then I upgraded to 6800 GT, 256MB - wow that thing is powerful. It runs all the latest games with top settings... but it's quite expensive, about 5x more :rolleyes:

iQuit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2005
Los Angeles
I am just getting the XFX 550 for now...until a new Powerbook comes out or I can afford something better.....thanks a lot guys for your help :).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.