Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uvmagnuvi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2021
Hey community!

I'm looking to purchase a new MacBook Pro to use for my work as a designer. The most common software I work with are Rhino, adobe suit, and Vectorworks. I thought about going with the MacBook Pro 16", and am now wondering on which of the following three I should spend my money on configuration: processor, memory, graphics. I am willing to spend the money on upgrading, but can't upgrade all three to the max, so I wanted to know what is more important for me to spend my money on?

Thank you!
Yuval

AppleSmack

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
If your software supports gpu acceleration (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator do), I'd put my money on:
1: memory (16GB minimum. I use the 3 apps above, Acrobat, browser with many tabs, Zoom, some utilities... And it does fine for memory. You'll need more if you Photoshop large files.)
2: gpu
3: processor

I'd be interested to hear other opinions on the order though!

suburbia

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
If you have plans on connecting your MBP to a display, then the 16" screen real estate isn't your priority. But if you're planning on working primarily with just the MBP's screen, then it's a must.

As for the other three: Max out on memory if you're able to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.