Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nden

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2008
I have a Dell 24" 2408 LCD, the monitor has all kind of input. I'm wondering what cable I'd use to connect a MacMini to my LCD. The LCD has Display Port input, the MacMini has Mini Display Port. Are they some kind connected?

Lastly, I'm looking at the 2.53GHz Mini.... and maybe I'll put a Intel x25v SSD in it. How easy would it be to install a SSD in a MacMini, will I void the warranty if I open the MacMini?

Thanks

Raima

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2010
The Mac Mini comes with a DVI connector. As long as your Dell monitor can support it you'll be fine.

As for installing the SSD. I do beleive this does void warranty unless you get apple to do it. They'll only do it if you purchase the items from them.

Please correct me on warranty if I'm wrong.

Undo Redo

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2009
Colorado, USA
Drive and memory upgrades will not void your warranty. Anything you might break while you're in there will not be covered. It's relatively easy to replace a drive in a Mac mini. Getting the darn thing open is the hardest part. Takes me about 10 minutes, start to finish. The first time I did it, it probably took 25, being especially cautious.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Mini comes with Mini-DVI to DVI cable.

From http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Mac_mini_Late2009_UG.pdf

Do Not Make Repairs Yourself
Your Mac mini doesn’t have any user-serviceable parts. Do not attempt to open your Mac mini. If your Mac mini needs service, consult the service and support information that came with your computer for instructions about how to contact an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple for service.
If you open your Mac mini or install items, you risk damaging your equipment, and such damage isn’t covered by the limited warranty on your Mac mini.

So opening Mini doesn't but if you break something, it will

CJS7070

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
Installing the HDD is a simple process, and you'd probably want to do it anyway (unless you want to pay Apple a premium for a bigger drive) whether you choose to go SSD or just a larger drive.

I don't believe it voids your warranty, or at least that's what I've been hearing for as long as I can remember.

ADent

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
You can go to monoprice and get a miniDP to full size DP cable.

The supplied DVI cable will work just as well though.

nden

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2008
Thanks for reply. I've been looking into this Mini on YouTube videos and I like the fact this Mini could be my 2nd HTPC.

Yes, Thanks ADent... I actually found the cable on Monoprice for around $5.

I think upgrading a SSD maybe my option later on when SSD at lowest price for next few months/years?

Oh yes, another question for MacMini user here. Is the new MacMini having any problems lately I should be aware of?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I think upgrading a SSD maybe my option later on when SSD at lowest price for next few months/years?

SSDs are developing all the time so if you wait, you get more for the same buck

Oh yes, another question for MacMini user here. Is the new MacMini having any problems lately I should be aware of?

Haven't heard any and generally it's Apple's most reliable computer

nden

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2008
Just grabbed a Mini at Apple store. I connected to my LCD using DVI cable for now, it's kinda bulky cable. I'm ordering some cables at Monoprice.

My first impression is that this thing is right for its name "Mini" although the Power supply is somehow big for me.

Plugged in a cat5 cable to my router, the thing connected to internet right away, and of course it's faster than N wireless connection.

Undo Redo

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2009
Colorado, USA
The mini's power supply is 110 watts and the MacBook's is 60, but still...

I think it's probably a matter of expense; a big power supply is cheaper to make??

I have so many power bricks behind my desk it boggles my mind. There aught to be a better way.

CJS7070

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
The mini's power supply is 110 watts and the MacBook's is 60, but still...

I think it's probably a matter of expense; a big power supply is cheaper to make??

I have so many power bricks behind my desk it boggles my mind. There aught to be a better way.

Well, they have the 85 watt MacBook Pro power bricks in the same form factor, so I'd assume that it's just expense...

It might be cheaper, it might be a counter-selling point (who knows), but who knows.

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
Plugged in a cat5 cable to my router, the thing connected to internet right away, and of course it's faster than N wireless connection.

Then theres something wrong with your wireless connection.

"g" wireless is rated at 54 Mbps. ("n" is even faster)

Most all DSL service is 3-6 Mbps.

Fastest FiOS internet around here is 40 Mbps.

So unless you have something beyond FiOS speeds, then your internet is far, far slower than wireless.

When I had cable internet I could easily get 28 Mbps, either wired to my iMac or wireless to my wifes Macbook. Speeds were identical.

CJS7070

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
Then theres something wrong with your wireless connection.

"g" wireless is rated at 54 Mbps. ("n" is even faster)

Most all DSL service is 3-6 Mbps.

Fastest FiOS internet around here is 40 Mbps.

So unless you have something beyond FiOS speeds, then your internet is far, far slower than wireless.

When I had cable internet I could easily get 28 Mbps, either wired to my iMac or wireless to my wifes Macbook. Speeds were identical.

I think he meant that the speed over a wired connection is faster... which it certainly is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.