Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

transphasic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
I am transitioning to working in IT support/cyber security, so I am in the market for a windows notebook to practice my windows active directory and linux/ubuntu skills. 2 questions:

1-if the laptop comes with windows home 11, can you install apps like active directory onto it?

2-can you partition the hard drive/SSD and install unbuntu linux on it so I can have a choice of booting into either OS?

TIA.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
1. I believe you need to upgrade to Windows 11 Pro.

2. Should be possible. But I would consider using a VM for your linux install instead so you don't have to keep rebooting the machine to switch OSes.

Reactions: Basic75

transphasic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
1. I believe you need to upgrade to Windows 11 Pro.

2. Should be possible. But I would consider using a VM for your linux install instead so you don't have to keep rebooting the machine to switch OSes.
Thanks for the reply, the solution I found was an MS-written windows app called WSL which provides a Linux environment without rebooting.

slx

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2021
I am transitioning to working in IT support/cyber security, so I am in the market for a windows notebook to practice my windows active directory and linux/ubuntu skills. 2 questions:

1-if the laptop comes with windows home 11, can you install apps like active directory onto it?

2-can you partition the hard drive/SSD and install unbuntu linux on it so I can have a choice of booting into either OS?

TIA.
You need a Windows Server to deploy Active Directory, you could download an evaluation version and run it as a virtual machine.

UKgaryb

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2013
Manchester, UK
I would flip the option - have a look at something like the HP Dev One - AMD Ryzen 5800u - 8cores/16 threads upgradable RAM (to 64gb) and upgradable SSD

Then run Virtual Machines with Windows Server / Client to practice AD etc.

The machine comes with PopOS which is a good starter OS based on ubuntu and you get free hypervisor using KVM/Qemu. https://github.com/quickemu-project/quickemu

Reactions: Basic75
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.