Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hi, I found a computer I want on Walmart Canada online store. Then, I noticed the statement "Sold & Shipped by Choice Computer Technologies". Never heard of that company. Is it reliable to buy from them? Due to the outbreak, Walmart stated that they are not going to take back any opened items so if something goes wrong, I cannot get a refund. B&H Photo also carries it but ti is more expensive and for some kind of holiday, they closed their online store for about a week!

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I would rather overpay elsewhere than take a chance with a questionable retailer. You'd be better of at a Staples or even a Best Buy. Maybe the prices will be higher, but you will have a better chance at decent service.

Reactions: hajime

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Hi, I found a computer I want on Walmart Canada online store. Then, I noticed the statement "Sold & Shipped by Choice Computer Technologies". Never heard of that company. Is it reliable to buy from them? Due to the outbreak, Walmart stated that they are not going to take back any opened items so if something goes wrong, I cannot get a refund. B&H Photo also carries it but ti is more expensive and for some kind of holiday, they closed their online store for about a week!
Check out: https://www.digitalstorm.com/

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
What happened to your MBP?

He returned it?
I think hajime is a genius. He buys and then returns computers like crazy. But he never actually spends any money. That way he has top of the line computers, and gets to test out each brand :)

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Sounds like a hard "no."

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Did you try looking them up on Google for reviews? They have a horrible average and complaints about fake tracking numbers from Walmart Marketplace.

Thanks for the info. They are selling at the lowest price I found.

One site had several excellent reviews on them but I found that we cannot trust those reviews. I once checked the reviews of one company. There were about 30 reviews all 5 stars. When I went to the store in person, they asked me to modify the product they sold. That product cost over US$5000 I checked with the manufacturer and the told me that if I do what this company suggested, I would void the warranty. The manufacturer also told me that they were in the process of terminating the dealership because many customers had complained to the manufacturer!
[automerge]1586449965[/automerge]
What happened to your MBP?

Nothing wrong with the MBP. It is running fine. I just need another computer for another project.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
My humble advice is to either build the PC yourself from quality parts (purchased from a reputable store) or buy pre-built from a reputable vendor.

I needed/wanted a new PC and honestly didn't feel like building one myself this time (I have in the past), so I purchased a Dell. Say what you will about Dell, but at least they're not going to disappear in 6 months should I need service. And with a 17% off code I had on top of their 'sale' prices, I bought the machine for little more than it would have cost me to build it myself, then added additional drives and RAM that I already had.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Why so many components are out of stock? Is it because of the outbreak?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Why so many components are out of stock? Is it because of the outbreak?

Factories are just starting to get sorted out in China. I'd expect Taiwanese and South Korean factories are at low capacity right now too. Along with the rest of the world.

Check Newegg Canada. There's third party sellers there too. Just shop with newegg.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
There are some very bad sellers at Newegg. I think they bought all the stock of some components sold by Newegg and then sell at higher prices. I complained to Newegg but they said that there is nothing that they can do.

Another problem is that Amazon USA limits a lot of items to ship to Canada due to the outbreak. Everything I want to order are restricted right now.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Why B&H locked the Checkout feature for about 4 days and no order will be shipped until April 17 due to the Passover?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Why B&H locked the Checkout feature for about 4 days and no order will be shipped until April 17 due to the Passover?
Top banner on their website says "Closed for Passover"
  • 7:15pm Wed April 8 until 8:45pm Sat April 11
  • 7:30pm Tue April 14 until 9pm Thu April 16

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Top banner on their website says "Closed for Passover"
  • 7:15pm Wed April 8 until 8:45pm Sat April 11
  • 7:30pm Tue April 14 until 9pm Thu April 16

Why they did not allow the online system to accept orders for a few days is a puzzle for me.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Just guessing - B&H was on light staff already due to "antivirus" adjustments, elected to shutdown completely for religious reasons, and along with that, made the decision to not allow online orders to just pile up with no possibility of shipping during those few days. I expect that B&H is one of those companies who prefer "hands-on" with every order.

It's just another way that normal life is affected during this time. (Better, I think, to have the order system shut down, rather than answer complaints about orders that might have taken a week before shipping out)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Why they did not allow the online system to accept orders for a few days is a puzzle for me.
Because that's their decision for their beliefs, they don't want any business occurring, regardless if that's online or not. At this point there's no harm in you waiting a few days.

Reactions: Queen6

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada

That would be considered doing work on a religious day(s), something that is not done according to theirs. Oh I have ordered several times from them, never had a problem at all I am in Canada too.

oops: should have read farther it has been answered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.