Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miatoday

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2015
I am looking at buying an iphone 5s, and want it to work with straight talk. Which one should I buy..verizon, att, there are so many, and I've always been on a contract, so never had to think about whether it woudl work or not. I know this is a silly thing to ask, but I'm confused about this! Any help will be appreciated.

Alan Mac Farlan

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2015
I got the Verizon as it is unlocked.

Then I went to straight talk after I got it home (on contract now) .. checked out their website.

Put in my MEID number (it is listed in Settings > General > About and scroll to the bottom) and they told me it is ready for them.

I just pay off my contract and I get to be on their system after I get their kit, install it and maybe it works. To replace the chip watch the You Tube video on it .. real easy.

Plan Two ... you buy an unlocked one (5s) for about $600 and then do that same thing with the MEID number.

If it is in their system and they approve it ... then buy their kit.

Put in their chip .. and do what their tech support says ...

and maybe it works.

Right now I am happy with Verizon as well as their extensive coverage .... the unlimited talk and 500 megs data a month.

With straight talk you will have ATT coverage as they use their system.

If you are in the city instead of the country then that is not a problem.

:apple::apple::apple:

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I switched two phones over to StraightTalk in January. Alan Mac Farlan is correct about ST and ATT...so currently you need an ATT or T-Mobile compatible (GSM) if you have a 5S.

For each phone I ordered an AT&T compatible Nano SIM plus a month of service (search the web for an ST coupon code).

Their phone tech support was in the Philippines. Setup and tech support using "chat" via the ST "Contact" page worked better for me than calling.

Alan Mac Farlan

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2015
I got the Verizon at the Apple Store as I wanted it 'turned on' and working when I got out the door for $149.00

With an 'unlocked' iPhone ... that is a bit more of a piece of work you have to do in 15 days .. as that is the return period for a new phone, actually 14 days from what I read in their guarantee.

The $600 unlocked ready for T-Mobile or what ever carrier ... you have to sort that out differently i suspect.

Take it home cold maybe, and then get the MEID number clocked in and see if it is in their system, then get their kit ... put in the SIM chip, turn it up and put in the authorization code to have it be activated ...

and then you get a hot phone that is working on the ATT system.

A 'locked' ATT phone .. is locked .. and only ATT can run it at $60 a month from what I understand.

You can get a NEW locked ATT 5s ... for $149.00

or you can get a USED locked ATT 5s ... for maybe $400.OO on eBay or Craigslist.

Do the math .. and Apple Store is way cheaper and better.

Alan

:apple::apple::apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.