Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stugoat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2018
I've been looking through and might have missed the answer but here goes;
I've got an oppportunity to purchase a new iPhone XS in the US for use within the UK. Obviously I need to get the sim-free version but I'm confused over the model and I haven't a clue about the details.

The apple website https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/ mentions a GSM and CDMA version but with the same model number A1920. Are these the same thing? Do I need to specify if I need GSM or CDMA?

I've compared the US model A1920 with the UK model A2097 for bands and the only difference is that the UK one does have band 71. Does this matter to use in the UK? If it makes any difference to the answers I'd be looking at being on EE's network.

And I assume it's as easy as just getting the XS to the UK, taking the sim card from my iPhone 6 and putting it into the XS and that'll transfer all contacts, messages etc.. but not not saved bookmarks or the like.

Probably simple questions but first time looking at this opportunity and need some guidance.
Thanks in advance.

stugoat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2018
I've been looking through and might have missed the answer but here goes;
I've got an oppportunity to purchase a new iPhone XS in the US for use within the UK. Obviously I need to get the sim-free version but I'm confused over the model and I haven't a clue about the details.

The apple website https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/ mentions a GSM and CDMA version but with the same model number A1920. Are these the same thing? Do I need to specify if I need GSM or CDMA?

I've compared the US model A1920 with the UK model A2097 for bands and the only difference is that the UK one does have band 71. Does this matter to use in the UK? If it makes any difference to the answers I'd be looking at being on EE's network.

And I assume it's as easy as just getting the XS to the UK, taking the sim card from my iPhone 6 and putting it into the XS and that'll transfer all contacts, messages etc.. but not not saved bookmarks or the like.

Probably simple questions but first time looking at this opportunity and need some guidance.
Thanks in advance.

Bump for anyone with any ideas please

ferjilo

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2015
w Polska
Search what band 71 is for in UK. I’m planning the same but bringing it to Spain and the missing band (i forgot which one) is not used for mobile in Sp so it should be full LTE speed.

stugoat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2018
read this https://uk.pcmag.com/news/91365/t-mobiles-new-600mhz-band-71-what-you-need-to-know

in uk, you need gsm, (someone correct me if im wrong) but there isnt like 2 versions of iphone. iphone supports both cdma and gsm

do note that you will not have international warrenty though

Thanks. Done a quick search and it looks like Band 71 isn't important for the UK.
The 2 versions of the US iPhone XS confused me on apple's website as it shows the same model number for both GSM and CDMA so not having lived or bought there before I didn't know if you had to specify which you wanted. Seems like you don't.
I appreciate about the international warranty. On balance is it worth the risk of saving some cash? Maybe not to me...

w_aldo

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2018
Stockton-on-Tees, UK
Thanks. Done a quick search and it looks like Band 71 isn't important for the UK.
The 2 versions of the US iPhone XS confused me on apple's website as it shows the same model number for both GSM and CDMA so not having lived or bought there before I didn't know if you had to specify which you wanted. Seems like you don't.
I appreciate about the international warranty. On balance is it worth the risk of saving some cash? Maybe not to me...
You do have international warranty. One of my friends bought an iPad in the USA and brought it back to the UK. The digitizer randomly stopped working one day, took it to the Apple store and they gave him a brand new one.

Reactions: Caspavio

Caspavio

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2018
You do have international warranty. One of my friends bought an iPad in the USA and brought it back to the UK. The digitizer randomly stopped working one day, took it to the Apple store and they gave him a brand new one.

yes sorry my bad. they do have international warranty. guess i was either outdated or misinformed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.