Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RubyRoo2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2019
I'm looking at buying a second hand iMac but I'd like some more tech savvy opinions to help me decide.

Uses - I work in design, so it will be mainly used for Adobe programs (photoshop, illustrator, etc). Nothing as big as rendering or video, but still heavier applications.

I've found a lightly used iMac, but it has had upgrades so it's trickier to determine what it's worth online. Here are the specs:

iMac Retina 5k (27")
2015 model
Barely used, comes with box
4.7ghz Intel Core i7
16gb DDR3 Internal Memory - upgraded
1t Flash Internal Memory - upgraded
4gb AMD Radeon graphics chip - upgraded

Owner is selling it for AUD $2400

What do you guys think of the price and upgrades? Are they going to cause any issues down the track?

Also, if you have any advice on how I should go about checking it before buying please let me know. I've already done some googling on the topic so I have the basics like diagnostics/ports/display/etc, but if there's anything specific to this product please say.

Thank you!

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Changing AUD to USD, I come up with $1692.48 US. With all those upgrades, that seems like a fair price.

But I don't understand the upgraded 4GB AMD Radeon? And are those upgrades you mentioned done by the seller or did he order the iMac that way from Apple?

Also, you might want to wait to see if Apple refreshes its iMac line. The latest 27" iMac is from Mid 2017 which Apple is still selling.

goslowjoe

Suspended
Dec 22, 2017
I have the same model and it is great. That 1TB flash storage is very expensive (SSUBX, not the slower SSUAX in earlier machines) and very fast, so this alone is a massive bonus.

Check one thing though: for some reason the later 27" iMac models tend to gather dust behind the screen's glass, especially in the corners. I had my screen replaced under the Apple Care warranty I have, because of this. If the screen of the unit you want to buy does not have this problem, then perfect. That the unit has 16GB RAM is also a plus.

I would buy it without thinking twice, irrespective of new models that may or may not be released. Newer does not guarantee better.

Last edited:

RubyRoo2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2019
Thanks for the replies! To answer your questions -

But I don't understand the upgraded 4GB AMD Radeon? And are those upgrades you mentioned done by the seller or did he order the iMac that way from Apple?

I'm not sure about the graphics card, that's what was written on its specs. What makes it unusual? As for the upgrades, I will definitely ask when I check it out but it's described as "fully upgraded" if that helps at all. Would it be better if they were done by Apple?

I've looked at getting a new 2017 model or even a used one, but they were similar in price to this particular one and this one had better specs (as far as I could see). I'll keep it as an option if this one falls through. I don't really want to wait for the new 2019 model to come out because I need it sooner rather than later and there's no set release date, and also since it'll likely be out of my budget.

Check one thing though: for some reason the later 27" iMac models tend to gather dust behind the screen's glass, especially in the corners.

Is this easy enough to check by just looking at the screen when it's black? And do you know how expensive this is to replace without warranty/apple care?

Also, one bonus question - I plan to ask the seller for a grace period where if there are any issues I can return it for a refund (I'm assuming this is a thing that you can do even with private sales). How long should I ask for? 30 days?

Thank you both so much for your help!

goslowjoe

Suspended
Dec 22, 2017

Is this easy enough to check by just looking at the screen when it's black? And do you know how expensive this is to replace without warranty/apple care?

Also, one bonus question - I plan to ask the seller for a grace period where if there are any issues I can return it for a refund (I'm assuming this is a thing that you can do even with private sales). How long should I ask for? 30 days?

Nope, you would have to look at it switched on, and then you need to look against a white background. I found various prices for a replacement, depending on where it was done (I live in one of the Gulf countries). Fortunately my Apple Care extended warranty took care of it.

RecentlyConverted

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015

I'm not sure about the graphics card, that's what was written on its specs. What makes it unusual? As for the upgrades, I will definitely ask when I check it out but it's described as "fully upgraded" if that helps at all. Would it be better if they were done by Apple?

I've looked at getting a new 2017 model or even a used one, but they were similar in price to this particular one and this one had better specs (as far as I could see). I'll keep it as an option if this one falls through. I don't really want to wait for the new 2019 model to come out because I need it sooner rather than later and there's no set release date, and also since it'll likely be out of my budget.

You can ask a private seller for a grace period, but it’s unlikely you will get one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.