Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
My elderly parents own a late-2013-vintage 13-inch MacBook Pro running MacOS Mojave.

A few months ago, the battery failed in this laptop, meaning it must be plugged-in at all times. The instant it is disconnected, it behaves like a desktop Mac suffering from a power failure; it reboots the next time it is plugged in. The laptop is getting to be too much of a pain for me to administer from afar.

If I wanted to buy a used MacBook Pro of about the same vintage (this would bypass any newer software compatibility concerns), how much should they expect to pay for it, and what questions should I ask on their behalf? Where is a good place to look for a used machine of this vintage?

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Just some additional info:
The 2019 MacBook Pro 13" (Touch Bar) and 2019 MacBook Air are the last MacBooks to run Mojave.
Unfortunately they also feature the controversial (as prone to fail) "butterfly" keyboard (all 13" and 15" MacBooks from 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 have it). The 16" 2019 and 13" 2020 re-introduced the new "magic" (scissor) keyboard.

Reactions: Wingsley

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You DO NOT want to be buying them another 10-year-old MacBook Pro.

You DO want something more modern.
I'd suggest a 2021 MacBook Pro 14" or 16".
As they are elderly (as am I), the 16" (using a slightly lower resolution for larger text) might be advantageous.

I'd suggest looking at Apple's online refurbished store to see what's available.
If your father had military service, BE AWARE that there's a veteran's discount available, as well.
This can be "piggybacked" with the online refurbished store for a "double-discount" ...

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
My elderly parents own a late-2013-vintage 13-inch MacBook Pro running MacOS Mojave.
If I wanted to buy a used MacBook Pro of about the same vintage (this would bypass any newer software compatibility concerns)

Under most circumstances I would agree with moving to newer hardware no matter what. But with my experience in helping senior family members with macOS and iPadOS, I think an important first step is to see how your parents handle navigating and interacting with the MBP. Are they relying on muscle memory and memorized patterns of clicks to use the computer? How open are they to learning different habits and routines? Do changes in their physical environment–such as in their house or when their supermarket rearranges its shelves–cause frustration or anger?

In other words, keeping your parents on the same model Mac may make sense...while realizing, of course, that doing so means you will have to be extremely careful and thorough in setting up and maintaining security and privacy measures. If you don't have the knowledge, time, or inclination to act as a system administrator, buying a new Mac might be a better path.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Another thought...

If they don't need the portability of a laptop, you might consider a new (or Apple refurbished) Mac Mini, along with a 27" 4k display.

27" @4k will give text that is very clear and easy for older eyes to read.
And enough screen real estate to satisfy them, I'm sure of that.

I'd get a big Logitech mouse (easy to handle), and a keyboard with good travel.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014

I'd suggest a 2021 MacBook Pro 14" or 16".
As they are elderly (as am I), the 16" (using a slightly lower resolution for larger text) might be advantageous.

I'd suggest looking at Apple's online refurbished store to see what's available.
If your father had military service, BE AWARE that there's a veteran's discount available, as well.
This can be "piggybacked" with the online refurbished store for a "double-discount" ...
Just to clarify: new and late-model refurbished hardware would be nice, but the budget is definitely not there for it now.

I would like to buy used for cheap now, to avoid high cost and software compatibility obstacles.

Long term solution: I want to see them buy an M3 laptop (preferably refurbished, in 2024) once they've had the opportunity to build up sufficient funds and having a chance to resolve software issues.

padams35

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2016
Venders: OWC (MacSales.com) sells vintage macs in assorted configurations. macofalltrades is another name, but their reputation is more mixed.

Price: Whatever the above venders ask for (or less if bought from an individual as-is with no warranty). Ie less than $300 or so.

Vintage: 2013-2015 have the same form factor, appearance, and can run Mojave. I'd lean toward the newer end.

+1 for the Mx Mini suggestion with a big monitor, assuming they don't need it for travel.

Edit: A 13" 2015-2017 Macbook Air is another idea if budget is extremely tight.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
If you're buying used to get a serious discount, your best bet is probably to buy locally on Craig's List (if you're in the US), or something equivalent. The way to do it is to tell the seller you're serious, negotiate a price on the phone (so the seller knows they're not wasting their time), and tell them you'll need about 20 minutes to do an inspection and run some tests (you'll want to download the aftermarket apps they mention onto a USB stick):

In fact, to be completely up-front (and test the seller to see if they'd balk), when I did this I emailed the seller that article beforehand so they'd know the tests I'd be running before I got there. If they're someone you want to deal with, they'll have no problem. If they give you a hard time, look elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wingsley

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016

A few months ago, the battery failed in this laptop, meaning it must be plugged-in at all times. The instant it is disconnected, it behaves like a desktop Mac suffering from a power failure; it reboots the next time it is plugged in. The laptop is getting to be too much of a pain for me to administer from afar.

If I wanted to buy a used MacBook Pro of about the same vintage (this would bypass any newer software compatibility concerns), how much should they expect to pay for it, and what questions should I ask on their behalf? Where is a good place to look for a used machine of this vintage?

Hello,

I used to have this same issue with an elderly friend of mine where I had to migrate his stuff to another computer that was old just to make it easy for him..no upgrades allowed! :)

Have you considered replacing the battery yourself? It isn't that hard if you are methodical and take it a step at a time.

You can purchase the batteries here...

Your other option would be to get a 2012 13" MacBook Pro for them which would run Mojave natively and has super easy to replace batteries in it, literally plug and play. This would negate any software incompatibility issues you might have. and the cost would be super cheap.

Good luck!

:)

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
I ordered a 2015 MacBook Pro Core i5 13-inch, got the old backup restored, got it configured, for them.

So far, no problems to report. Mission accomplished.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.