Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbt2008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2008
Hi there! I have a lead on a used iphone and I have some questions. I currently have a sony walkman (barf) that I just got and want to take back. Can I put the SIM from that phone into the iphone? Will that prevent me from having to buy the data package each month? Is there any way around this? I really don't want to pay $20 a month for EDGE, I am usually around wifi and when I'm not I can live.....

Thanks!

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
You can get a plan with no edge, the problem is there's no way to turn off edge on the phone. If your email is set to check every 15 mins and you happen to not be near wifi (in the car) it will go over edge and ream you on the bill.

jbt2008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2008
Thanks. I think I read there is a program that you can get to turn edge off. So when I activate it through itunes will i have to get the data plan then cancel it later?

aosman

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2008
If you want to avoid the Data Plan, I think you will have to Activate and Jailbreak your iPhone, keeping your AT&T sim. This way you keep your voice and you avoid the Data Feature. What do you guys think?

jbt2008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2008
Why do I have to jailbreak it? can't I just cancel the data plan through att? I may need to jail break it to get that program that will turn off the edge or can I just not put the edge settings into the phone?

STC

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
Why do I have to jailbreak it? can't I just cancel the data plan through att? I may need to jail break it to get that program that will turn off the edge or can I just not put the edge settings into the phone?

No Data is available for all AT&T customers. Its just whether you have a data plan or paying per mgs downloaded.

I'd like to know how to disable edge as well. When the iPhone 3G comes out my bro in law will be giving my 11 y/o son his v1 iPhone. My wife and I dont want to add data to my son's soon to be iPhone. What apps can iget through installer to disable edge?

cineapple

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
Is it possible to use the iphone without a data plan?! I was talking to my local at&t and they said you have to have the data plan with the phone, or the phone won't work. If what you say is true, how do you cancel the data plan?

albinoAZN

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2007
You need to unlock/jailbreak the phone. You have to do BOTH!

Then, once jailbroken, go into installer and find the app called Services! Once installed, this will give you an ON/OFF switch for Edge. Problem solved!

cineapple

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
You need to unlock/jailbreak the phone. You have to do BOTH!

Then, once jailbroken, go into installer and find the app called Services! Once installed, this will give you an ON/OFF switch for Edge. Problem solved!
But is there a way to stop AT&T from billing me for the Data plan if i turn it off on my iphone?

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
But is there a way to stop AT&T from billing me for the Data plan if i turn it off on my iphone?

You have to cancel the data plan and ask for a block on data useage. Basically so that under no circumstances could you get data. They CAN do this, they don't like to but they can. And they will if you ask nicely.

FWIW, for anyone who gets annoyed about being charged for incoming texts, those can also be blocked by AT&T. Pretty much they can't set up the account so you can be charged without your consent; it's a negative opt-in, meaning you have to turn it down directly with them to be cut off.

albinoAZN

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2007
right.

Also, if you don't currently have a data plan, and you intend to use the iPhone with Edge turned off (via wi-fi), they wouldn't charge you for data anyway.

friekunater

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
would it be possible to reverse this and get just EDGE/3G and no voice? I have an iPod touch but the lack of speakers is the one thing that annoys me lol the iPhone speakers would be really great especially with new apps

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
would it be possible to reverse this and get just EDGE/3G and no voice? I have an iPod touch but the lack of speakers is the one thing that annoys me lol the iPhone speakers would be really great especially with new apps

AFAIK, there aren't really very many data only options. You could try asking at&t, but don't be shocked if its an uphill battle. They do that sometimes with blackberries so its not impossible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.