Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maluscanis

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2002
I'm not sure
Here is my situation and I would be absolutely delighted if anyone can offer me some sound advice!!!

The scenario: I am moving into an apartment...I have a PowerMac G5 on the way...I don't have a TV or a monitor yet...I have a Nintendo Gamecube. I would like to be able to run a system through my computer. In other words, I want to have one display and one speaker system and a computer that will allow me to listen to music, watch movies, play the game console, and compute stuff.

Some Disclaimers:
I consider myself an audiophile...I want to spend about $1000 on a good system...I really don't care or particularly need the surround sound deal as I will use the system to primarily listen to classical music and such.

For the monitor, I had a 15" Flatscreen iMac and was NOT AT ALL impressed with the LCD screen...I my opinion it in no way compares to CRT offerings. Has this changed in the last year or so. What would be a good display choice for viewing movies, playing games, etc...

Remember, the Gamecube has to fit in here somewhere.

I would be extremely grateful for your help. Thanks folks.
Simon

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
make sure you get a screen with a/v inputs. DO NOT RUN THE GAMECUBE though the computer, sony makes a 17 widescreen and a 20 with a/v's, maybe look at those.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
this is what i would get if i were you, since i dont know your budget i will just throw this out. i will get the logitech 5.1 speakers apple sells for your sound. i would get apple's 20 inch display, it is very bright, crisp and also has an awesome refresh rate, games do not look laggy on this screen , i hook it up to my pc and play games and it plays perfectly. i would also get televio, it connects through the pci slot vs most usb connections like eyetv. comes with svideo and composite outputs to hookup your gamecube directly.

http://www.televio.com/

iJon

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
Every usb or firewire tv recorder i;ve seen has a little lag in it, that can really cause major issues for video gaming. The pci card looks interesting though, i wonder if it would suffer from the same little delay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.