Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rradcircless

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2022
Hi all,

I recently bought the sixth generation iPad mini and am moderately happy with it, but I got a huge shock when I realised it was announced alongside a new iPhone in a previous September event.

Now I’m unsure about returning the iPad and seeing what, if anything, is announced for the mini.

If the price isn’t too unreasonable and it has the popular requested features like promotion, I’d buy the next generation.

If I’m not impressed, I’d hope the sixth generation mini dips in price or at least remains available at retailers. However, I know Apple sometimes stops selling its older models to force us to buy new.

In your experience, what do you suppose will happen with regards to a new iPad mini and the price/availability of current gen?

Update:

Exchanged for same model, purple colour, to see if I prefer it. So far I'm not in love. If no new model in September event, will switch back to starlight colour.

Last edited:

tarikfransson

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2023
Certainly! When considering buying an iPad mini, there are several factors to keep in mind to make an informed decision:

Purpose: Determine your primary use for the iPad mini. Are you looking for a compact device for casual browsing, reading, and entertainment, or do you plan to use it for more productivity-related tasks like note-taking and content creation?

Size and Portability: The iPad mini is known for its compact size and portability. If you value easy one-handed use and want a device you can carry anywhere, the iPad mini's size might be ideal.

Performance: Consider the processing power you need. The newer generations of iPad mini tend to have better performance capabilities, making them suitable for multitasking and running demanding apps smoothly.

Display: The quality of the display is essential for an enjoyable user experience. Look for features like Retina display for sharpness and color accuracy, as well as True Tone technology for adjusting white balance based on ambient light.

Connectivity: Check whether the iPad mini model you're considering offers the connectivity options you need, such as Wi-Fi-only or cellular models. Cellular models allow you to have internet access even when you're not connected to Wi-Fi.

Storage: Decide on the amount of storage you require. iPads come with varying storage capacities, so choose one that suits your needs for apps, media, and files.

Accessories: Consider any accessories you might need, such as an Apple Pencil for note-taking and drawing, or a keyboard attachment for increased productivity.

Operating System: iPad mini runs on iOS/iPadOS. Make sure you're comfortable with the operating system and its app ecosystem.

Battery Life: Look for information on the battery life of the specific iPad mini model you're interested in. A longer battery life is beneficial for extended use without needing frequent recharges.

Budget: Set a budget and compare different iPad mini models to find one that fits within your price range while meeting your requirements.

Reviews and Recommendations: Read reviews from tech experts and user testimonials to get an idea of real-world performance and user satisfaction.

Future Considerations: Think about how future-proof you want your device to be. Newer generations of iPad mini tend to receive updates and support for a longer time.

Reactions: masotime

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Sounds like a plan. Return the iPad mini 6 now & wait until September. No guarantee that the iPad mini 7 will be announced then, but rumors are heating up that it will. I think it’s worth it to wait until then. If not, you can rebuy the 6. But it’s been 2 years since the iPad mini has been updated, so if not September, my bet is that it will be updated by the end of the year or early 2024.

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
I’m anticipating an 11th generation iPad and 6th generation iPad Air to be released this fall, while the next iPad Pro and 7th generation iPad Mini are likely to be released in the spring of 2024.

The 11th generation iPad will probably receive the A15 just like the current 6th generation iPad Mini. The next Mini will likely be equipped with an A17 chip and 6GB RAM. I doubt it will have ProMotion, but it would be a welcomed surprise. One of these years, they’ll give the base storage 128GB on the Air and/or Mini, just like the Pros.

If you want the latest and greatest, I’d hold off on the Mini just in case it releases this fall, but also since it’s likely going to be refreshed in the next 6-7 months.

• Love
Reactions: Rradcircless

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
If the 7 isn’t what you want in price and/or features when it comes out, there’ll be Apple Certified Refurbished availability on the Mini 6 for some time to come. These are as good as new with a new battery and outer shell and extensively tested. There will be a year’s warranty and AC+ availability, just as if you’d bought new.

The Mini 5 is still sold on the Apple Refurbished Store and that was released in March 2019.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
My guess is no 7 until NEXT Fall. Else, where are the abundant rumors with us now only 7 days from September? Yes, there's been a post or two but compare that to the number of new iPhone rumors. Of course, a new 7 won't have that volume but it seems it would have more than nearly none by this point.

If the 6 scratches the itch, enjoy it. 7 will probably be only a little bit faster. iPad tends to have long legs: my own jump was from 2 to 6 because 2 kept up for so, so long. I expect my next Mini will be 9 or 10 in about 2028-2030 or so... unless Apple decides to PRO one with iPhone Max cameras and a few other MAX phone features & benefits. I likely buy that one day 1 even if priced at MAX phone levels.

OP, return it if you are really on the "latest & greatest" train. Whether or not a 7 shows in SEP, you might get to choose between them... or perhaps even buy your own return back from the refurb store. If I was placing a bet though, I would bet against a 7 this year.

Reactions: gotong

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
My guess is no 7 until NEXT Fall. Else, where are the abundant rumors with us now only 7 days from September? Yes, there's been a post or two but compare that to the number of new iPhone rumors. Of course, a new 7 won't have that volume but it seems it would have more than nearly none by this point.

If the 6 scratches the itch, enjoy it. 7 will probably be only a little bit faster. iPad tends to have long legs: my own jump was from 2 to 6 because 2 kept up for so, so long. I expect my next Mini will be 9 or 10 in about 2028-2030 or so... unless Apple decides to PRO one with iPhone Max cameras and a few other MAX phone features & benefits. I likely buy that one day 1 even if priced at MAX phone levels.

OP, return it if you are really on the "latest & greatest" train. Whether or not a 7 shows in SEP, you might get to choose between them... or perhaps even buy your own return back from the refurb store. If I was placing a bet though, I would bet against a 7 this year.
You're forgetting that the Mini 6 is antiquated in spec and has a truly dreadful display, one of the worst to have ever been put onto a phone or tablet by any manufacturer at any pricepoint. People are right to be wary of buying this iPad if a new one is perhaps imminent. It's not a question of necessarily wanting the latest and greatest, just not wanting to buy a lemon if an orange is in the offing.

Reactions: Rradcircless

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
You're forgetting that the Mini 6 is antiquated in spec and has a truly dreadful display, one of the worst to have ever been put onto a phone or tablet by any manufacturer at any pricepoint.
That’s hyperbole, and I don’t just mean based on use case (e.g., for note taking it’s great; for ebooks it’s fine). My device even has the jelly scroll and it’s still a better and more responsive screen than the Fire or other similarly sized tablets I’ve been around.

OP: I find my mini 6 is an excellent device for what I need. What I need is a highly portable notepad storage device that can access the cloud. I do sometimes watch movies, but never game. I rarely use email or slack. I take notes, brainstorm, draw, and generally use it as an infinite smart notepad. It’s probably Apple’s worst current device for keyboard entry; the dimensions are just so awkward that’s it’s far easier to type on my iPhone or laptop.

If a new Mini comes out next month I will consider upgrading, but that’s really because my work would pay for it. If it were my own money I would likely keep the 6 because even two years later it’s an excellent little device. I feel strongly that updated specs will only really matter if Apple does something substantial with the OS.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
That’s hyperbole, and I don’t just mean based on use case (e.g., for note taking it’s great; for ebooks it’s fine). My device even has the jelly scroll and it’s still a better and more responsive screen than the Fire or other similarly sized tablets I’ve been around.

OP: I find my mini 6 is an excellent device for what I need. What I need is a highly portable notepad storage device that can access the cloud. I do sometimes watch movies, but never game. I rarely use email or slack. I take notes, brainstorm, draw, and generally use it as an infinite smart notepad. It’s probably Apple’s worst current device for keyboard entry; the dimensions are just so awkward that’s it’s far easier to type on my iPhone or laptop.

If a new Mini comes out next month I will consider upgrading, but that’s really because my work would pay for it. If it were my own money I would likely keep the 6 because even two years later it’s an excellent little device. I feel strongly that updated specs will only really matter if Apple does something substantial with the OS.
Hyperbole? It's slow compared to my phone and other tablets, needs more RAM and the display is diabolical. Yeah the size is nice and it looks cute but come on.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
You're forgetting that the Mini 6 is antiquated in spec and has a truly dreadful display, one of the worst to have ever been put onto a phone or tablet by any manufacturer at any pricepoint. People are right to be wary of buying this iPad if a new one is perhaps imminent. It's not a question of necessarily wanting the latest and greatest, just not wanting to buy a lemon if an orange is in the offing.

I own a 6 myself and I'm quite happy with it. I use it every day. It also covers my telephony needs (stands in for iPhone) with voip app and buds. Basically it's a terrific, permanently "unfolded" iPhone for my purposes.

Brains are A15 Bionic. I wouldn't call that antiquated. What's in iPhone 14s for sale right now? Shoots 4K. Already USB-C (faster than Lightning spec). No dreaded notch nor dynamic island because 1080p camera fits in the relatively thin bezel. All things that show on the screen have no "cuts" out of them, no holes in them, etc.

I have no complaints... certainly no sense of "lemon."

However, I'm not everyone... so I can agree that some can view it as inferior to a hypothetical & improved model that might show up as soon as this September... or next... or the one after that.

If people should be "wary" about a current generation for sale, that same feeling should apply to all of the other products too because they all have aging "guts" and something improved is "coming soon" for all of them.

Last edited:

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
There is no predicting Mini updates with any real accuracy given the sporadic history. However, the next 6-8 weeks is a window where an update could reasonably happen. So if I were in your shoes I would return and wait, for all the justifications you already listed. That is unless you have a true need today for a Mini, in which case you keep using the 6 and move on to other things.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
The Mini 5 is still sold on the Apple Refurbished Store and that was released in March 2019.
I use a mini 5 daily. Originally I tried to upgrade from a 4 to the 6, but there were too many things I didn’t like about the 6 (aspect ratio, jelly scrolling, volume button placement & behavior, flat edges, camera bump), so I upgraded to a 5 instead. It’s still plenty fast, no issues whatsoever, would recommend it even now.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2005
i would return the mini on the basis that if you bought it at full price - it goes on sale pretty frequently for $399 in the us for the wifi version.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Hi all,

I recently bought the sixth generation iPad mini and am moderately happy with it, but I got a huge shock when I realised it was announced alongside a new iPhone in a previous September event.

Now I’m unsure about returning the iPad and seeing what, if anything, is announced for the mini.

If the price isn’t too unreasonable and it has the popular requested features like promotion, I’d buy the next generation.

If I’m not impressed, I’d hope the sixth generation mini dips in price or at least remains available at retailers. However, I know Apple sometimes stops selling its older models to force us to buy new.

In your experience, what do you suppose will happen with regards to a new iPad mini and the price/availability of current gen?
Yes, tech will keep advancing. Yes all companies at some point stops selling its older models because tech marches on, not to force us to buy new.

To answer what do you suppose will happen with regards to a new iPad mini and the price/availability of current gen? My personal guess is we will see an updated iPad Mini before the winter holiday selling season. I think today's Mini (I am testing one right now) is pretty good, has already seen discount sales and will remain available without seeing too drastic additional price reductions. But those are just guesses.

phoenix-mac-user

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
I own a 6 myself and I'm quite happy with it. I use it every day. It also covers my telephony needs (stands in for iPhone) with voip app and buds. Basically it's a terrific, permanently "unfolded" iPhone for my purposes.

Brains are A15 Bionic. I wouldn't call that antiquated. What's in iPhone 14s for sale right now? Shoots 4K. Already USB-C (faster than Lightning spec). No dreaded notch nor dynamic island because 1080p camera fits in the relatively thin bezel. All things that show on the screen have no "cuts" out of them, no holes in them, etc.

I have no complaints... certainly no sense of "lemon."

However, I'm not everyone... so I can agree that some can view it as inferior to a hypothetical & improved model that might show up as soon as this September... or next... or the one after that.

If people should be "wary" about a current generation for sale, that same feeling should apply to all of the other products too because they all have aging "guts" and something improved is "coming soon" for all of them.
I just bought a Mini 6 and am very happy with my purchase. I am traveling next month and wanted something to play on while flying and already love it so much more than the iPad Pro 11 I had that I thought would change my life but I never really used. The Pro was too bulky and if I want that experience I am going to instinctively reach for my Macbook and get a real desktop experience.

I think the Mini is better for content consumption, which is what 90% of people do on their iPad.

If you are worried about the specs you should go with a Pro. You are not building a space ship on the iPad mini. You are watching Youtube videos and Tik Tok and checking Facebook.

I had the same reservations as the OP though. Ultimately though, I wanted it for travel and most importantly, you never know when the "new one" is going to come out for anything other than an iPhone. Face it, you could wait for 8 weeks and they could announce it in November. Or it could be next September.

And there are lots of deals now for them if you think the price is too high. Got mine at Best buy for $100 off, which is the same price as the iPad 2022 with a lesser processor and an Apple Pencil that requires a lightning port.

Last edited:

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Hyperbole? It's slow compared to my phone and other tablets, needs more RAM and the display is diabolical. Yeah the size is nice and it looks cute but come on.

I agree with the hyperbole. To say it's bad is a gross exaggeration. Is it as nice as the displays on some other Apple devices? No. But, it's not BAD by any means.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I just bought a Mini 6 and am very happy with my purchase. I am traveling next month and wanted something to play on while flying and already love it so much more than the iPad Pro 11 I had that I thought would change my life but I never really used. The Pro was too bulky and if I want that experience I am going to instinctively reach for my Macbook and get a real desktop experience.

I think the Mini is better for content consumption, which is what 90% of people do on their iPad.

If you are worried about the specs you should go with a Pro. You are not building a space ship on the iPad mini. You are watching Youtube videos and Tik Tok and checking Facebook.

I had the same reservations as the OP though. Ultimately though, I wanted it for travel and most importantly, you never know when the "new one" is going to come out for anything other than an iPhone. Face it, you could wait for 8 weeks and they could announce it in November. Or it could be next September.

And there are lots of deals now for them if you think the price is too high. Got mine at Best buy for $100 off, which is the same price as the iPad 2022 with a lesser processor and an Apple Pencil that requires a lightning port.

Yup, I agree with this. It's a fine device and the portability is amazing.

Reactions: StaceyMJ86
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.