Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApplePearBanana

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2017
I need a new Mac and I'm thinking of going with a desktop. I've had a MacBook Pro for years, and hardly ever took it out of the house. After getting an iPad it basically stayed at home, always hooked to a monitor an an external HDD. I'm a university student but I found that I work best at home.

With an iMac I'd get more power, a bigger screen, and, most importantly, more ports. I have lots of USB peripherals, and using ethernet would be a nice option, too. I can only afford the MBP without the touch bar and that one only has two ports (ridiculous to call that 'pro' IMO).

I am looking at these configurations:

• iMac 21.5" 4K 3.4 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 1TB Fusion Drive
  • iMac 21.5" 4K 3.0 GHz Quad-Core i5, custom with 256GB SSD
  • MacBook Pro 13.3" 2.3 GHz Dual-Core i5 - 256GB SSD, without touch bar

These would all be about the same price. The reason for the iMac with the custom SSD is that I'm afraid the traditional HDD in the fusion drive is more prone to failure than a full SSD drive. This would mean that I would get less storage (wouldn't bother me much, I have external drives), a slower CPU (3.0GHz vs 3.4 GHz) and a 'Radeon Pro 555 with 2 GB VRAM' instead of a 'Radeon Pro 560 with 4 GB VRAM' (I have no idea what this means.), but a computer that will maybe last longer.

I'm still hesitant about a desktop because I've never owned one, but my MBP was basically used as a desktop anyway. Having a portable computer would be nice should I actually need the portability one day but when I compare what I'm getting for my money with an iMac vs a MBP, the latter looks like a bad deal. Especially with those measly two ports, of which I can only use one most of the time since one is needed for the power cable.

Another question is if I would even notice the extra power in the iMac. I use my Mac for office apps, photo editing with Lightroom and Photoshop, Mail, web browser, Netflix and iTunes.

What would you get in my situation? Thanks & sorry for the wall of text.

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
I need a new Mac and I'm thinking of going with a desktop. I've had a MacBook Pro for years, and hardly ever took it out of the house. After getting an iPad it basically stayed at home, always hooked to a monitor an an external HDD. I'm a university student but I found that I work best at home.

With an iMac I'd get more power, a bigger screen, and, most importantly, more ports. I have lots of USB peripherals, and using ethernet would be a nice option, too. I can only afford the MBP without the touch bar and that one only has two ports (ridiculous to call that 'pro' IMO).

I am looking at these configurations:

• iMac 21.5" 4K 3.4 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 1TB Fusion Drive
  • iMac 21.5" 4K 3.0 GHz Quad-Core i5, custom with 256GB SSD
  • MacBook Pro 13.3" 2.3 GHz Dual-Core i5 - 256GB SSD, without touch bar

These would all be about the same price. The reason for the iMac with the custom SSD is that I'm afraid the traditional HDD in the fusion drive is more prone to failure than a full SSD drive. This would mean that I would get less storage (wouldn't bother me much, I have external drives), a slower CPU (3.0GHz vs 3.4 GHz) and a 'Radeon Pro 555 with 2 GB VRAM' instead of a 'Radeon Pro 560 with 4 GB VRAM' (I have no idea what this means.), but a computer that will maybe last longer.

I'm still hesitant about a desktop because I've never owned one, but my MBP was basically used as a desktop anyway. Having a portable computer would be nice should I actually need the portability one day but when I compare what I'm getting for my money with an iMac vs a MBP, the latter looks like a bad deal. Especially with those measly two ports, of which I can only use one most of the time since one is needed for the power cable.

Another question is if I would even notice the extra power in the iMac. I use my Mac for office apps, photo editing with Lightroom and Photoshop, Mail, web browser, Netflix and iTunes.

What would you get in my situation? Thanks & sorry for the wall of text.

I posted something recently about this...in the end I opted for the iMac. If you do go for the imac then absolutely go with teh 256 SSD over the fusion (which i believe only has 32 gb SSD in it) for the exact reason you stated...reliability.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ed-buying-advice.2079687/page-4#post-25278035

I actually went with a new imac for the same reason you mentioned you used your pro....it's going to end up literally staying stationary 99.9% of the time...espeically since I use my ipad around the house so much. If you know that to be the case with you then I would strongly suggest you go for the better hardware in the imac.

VideoFreek

Contributor
May 12, 2007
Philly
I think you’ve largely answered your own question—your use case clearly calls for the iMac. The infrequent inconvenience of not having a “portable” computer would pale next to the daily enjoyment you’ll experience using the larger screen. I would agree with DaGrandMasta that the full-on SSD is the way to go; the 3.4 GHz processor only benchmarks about 7% faster than the 3.0, but the overall system speed you’ll perceive from the SSD in daily use will easily outweigh this (Apple’s SSDs are smoking fast). The greater VRAM on the 560 would be nice, but is probably not a must-have for your intended use, IMO.

Not to make things tougher on you, but if you could stretch a few hundred bucks more, you could get a 27-inch 5K:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1342876-REG/apple_z0tp_mne922_bh_imac_i5_3_4g_qc.html

I take it that your target is around $1500, and this is priced $379 higher, but one thing to keep in mind is that purchases from B&H are tax-free (unless you live in NY), and the shipping is free too, which narrows the gap a bit vs. buying from Apple. Even if you stay with the 21-inch, purchasing from B&H or Adorama might make sense—the main thing you give up is the ability to return the machine if for some reason you’re not happy with it. Good luck!

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
I'd also recommend waiting a couple of weeks to see what kind of deals you'll have on Black Friday.

msj121

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2017
I own a MBP and an IMac. They both sit on my desk, but I use the MBP usually. Probably because I can move it once in a while to show a client some work. It is just easier for me that way even though I also use it primarily as a desktop except once a week for about an hour.

That being said, if you usually don't or won't need the laptop somewhere else to do something (that an IPad can't - I am a programmer). Might as well go for the IMac, I assume it is cheaper with more power.

P.S. I used a 3rd party SSD with an attachment that helps connect to the IMac, seamless.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
The quadcore cpu and the dGPU in the iMac will make a difference for your photoshop stuff I should be a fair bit faster. A great 4K screen, and lots of I/O.

Go for the ssd it’s important and externals are great for storing files and media where the speed means little.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Get an iMac, BUT...

... get the 27" model instead. Once you have it, you will NEVER regret having spent a little more.

Get an SSD inside, even if it's only the 256gb. Be aware that these are "build-to-order" models and you have to wait to get one, but... the wait is "worth it".

ApplePearBanana

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2017
Thanks, guys. I've decided on an iMac now, the specs and lack of ports on the MBP for the price just seem like awful value. And I hate that they got rid of the glowing Apple logo on the back! I will also get a BTO SSD. For my portable needs, the iPad will have to do, it should be good enough for MS office files, pdfs and images on the go.

I posted something recently about this...in the end I opted for the iMac. If you do go for the imac then absolutely go with teh 256 SSD over the fusion (which i believe only has 32 gb SSD in it) for the exact reason you stated...reliability.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ed-buying-advice.2079687/page-4#post-25278035

I actually went with a new imac for the same reason you mentioned you used your pro....it's going to end up literally staying stationary 99.9% of the time...espeically since I use my ipad around the house so much. If you know that to be the case with you then I would strongly suggest you go for the better hardware in the imac.

Thank you. I read your thread, and your reasoning makes a lot of sense. I use my iPad a lot for simple stuff like web browsing and mails. I just feel with the new MBP I'm paying an insane amount of money for design and thinness and not so great specs. I'm using a 23" 1080p Eizo screen with my MBP now, so even the 4K display would be an awesome addition for me.

I think you’ve largely answered your own question—your use case clearly calls for the iMac. The infrequent inconvenience of not having a “portable” computer would pale next to the daily enjoyment you’ll experience using the larger screen. I would agree with DaGrandMasta that the full-on SSD is the way to go; the 3.4 GHz processor only benchmarks about 7% faster than the 3.0, but the overall system speed you’ll perceive from the SSD in daily use will easily outweigh this (Apple’s SSDs are smoking fast). The greater VRAM on the 560 would be nice, but is probably not a must-have for your intended use, IMO.

Not to make things tougher on you, but if you could stretch a few hundred bucks more, you could get a 27-inch 5K:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1342876-REG/apple_z0tp_mne922_bh_imac_i5_3_4g_qc.html

I take it that your target is around $1500, and this is priced $379 higher, but one thing to keep in mind is that purchases from B&H are tax-free (unless you live in NY), and the shipping is free too, which narrows the gap a bit vs. buying from Apple. Even if you stay with the 21-inch, purchasing from B&H or Adorama might make sense—the main thing you give up is the ability to return the machine if for some reason you’re not happy with it. Good luck!

I probably should have added that I live in Germany. ;) So I can't buy from BHP. But you guessed correctly anyway, I'm looking to spend around 1500€. I checked the prices again, and if you customize both models with an SSD, the top of the line 21.5" iMac is only 60€ more than the midrange model. That seems like a no brainer for the better processor and 2 extra gigs of VRAM.

About the 27": I think that might be overkill for my needs. And it's 350€ more, but the processor is the same 3.4GHz as the 21.5". Won't that struggle with the bigger higher res screen? BUT: I just read that you can't upgrade the RAM in the 21.5", so I would be stuck with 8GB forever or pay Apple's obscene prices for an upgrade (240€ for 16GB...). That really bothers me, my MBP is 7 years old. I will be using this machine for a long time. I upgraded the RAM in my MBP after a couple of years (from 4GB to 8GB) and it made a noticeable difference. I wonder if 8GB will be enough for the next few years...

Just when I thought my decision was made, I read about this RAM thing, ugh... I'll look at both models at the store, think about the RAM, and wait for Black Friday, we always have deals here as well.

VideoFreek

Contributor
May 12, 2007
Philly
About the 27": I think that might be overkill for my needs. And it's 350€ more, but the processor is the same 3.4GHz as the 21.5". Won't that struggle with the bigger higher res screen? BUT: I just read that you can't upgrade the RAM in the 21.5", so I would be stuck with 8GB forever or pay Apple's obscene prices for an upgrade (240€ for 16GB...).
No, the screen will be fine as the base 27-inch has an ATI Radeon Pro 570 with 4gb VRAM, which benchmarks significantly higher than the 560.

You are sort of correct about the RAM. OWC does sell kits that allow you to upgrade the RAM on the 21-incher to as much as 32gb, but it's a gigantic pain in the butt as you have to remove the screen, and professional installation is strongly encouraged. Also, since the 21-inch only has 2 slots, you have to replace the stock RAM (you can't just add to it). OWC's 16gb kit is around $190-- so personally, I'd just buy the RAM pre-installed from Apple.

On the 27-inch model, as you've already found out, upgrading the RAM on your own is easy-peasy.

ApplePearBanana

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2017
No, the screen will be fine as the base 27-inch has an ATI Radeon Pro 570 with 4gb VRAM, which benchmarks significantly higher than the 560.

You are sort of correct about the RAM. OWC does sell kits that allow you to upgrade the RAM on the 21-incher to as much as 32gb, but it's a gigantic pain in the butt as you have to remove the screen, and professional installation is strongly encouraged. Also, since the 21-inch only has 2 slots, you have to replace the stock RAM (you can't just add to it). OWC's 16gb kit is around $190-- so personally, I'd just buy the RAM pre-installed from Apple.

On the 27-inch model, as you've already found out, upgrading the RAM on your own is easy-peasy.

Thank you. I thought buying third party RAM would be cheaper. Maybe it will get cheaper down the line?

Another thought would be to get the 21.5" and keep my 23" Eizo on the desk as a second screen, might be handy when working with multiple files and windows. Or just one 27" screen. Decisions, decisions... :confused:

VideoFreek

Contributor
May 12, 2007
Philly
Thank you. I thought buying third party RAM would be cheaper. Maybe it will get cheaper down the line?:confused:
I think the issue is the 2 DIMM slots. When you upgrade RAM with Apple, you are paying only for the differential between 2x4gb sticks and 2x8gb. So, EUR 240 for that is exorbitant—should be less than half that amount! When you go third party, you have to replace the stock RAM, so you’re paying for the full 16gb (2x8). I suppose you could resell the stock RAM to recoup some money...OWC themselves have a trade-in program. Some folks advise to hang on to the stock RAM, however, as you might need to reinstall it if the machine ever goes in for service! As I said, much too complicated on the 21-inch machine—far simpler to suck it up and pay Apple’s ridiculous prices!

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Can anyone chime in on how well 8 GB performs? It seems that that should be adequate except for very heavy use. And yours may be that.

I upgraded my mini from 4 to 16 and have no issues at all. Same with a 2010 MBP. But my memory pressure is almost always low. I would probably be just fine with 8 GB.

enrincon89

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2014
Get an iMac. I bought the MacBook Pro 13.3 with Touch bar and 3 weeks later the keys got stuck. Stupid me lifted the stucked key and broke the butterfly hinge took it to the Apple Store and the genius was nice enough that it was going to repair it for free under warranty. But they have to replace the whole bottom case of the MacBook and the to fix a keyboard it’s $475

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
Thank you. I thought buying third party RAM would be cheaper. Maybe it will get cheaper down the line?

Another thought would be to get the 21.5" and keep my 23" Eizo on the desk as a second screen, might be handy when working with multiple files and windows. Or just one 27" screen. Decisions, decisions... :confused:

Get the 27" and add third party RAM later on.
[doublepost=1509722091][/doublepost]
Can anyone chime in on how well 8 GB performs? It seems that that should be adequate except for very heavy use. And yours may be that.

I upgraded my mini from 4 to 16 and have no issues at all. Same with a 2010 MBP. But my memory pressure is almost always low. I would probably be just fine with 8 GB.

8 GB is usually fine IF your not trying to multi task a lot of things.

There is no way I would purchase a 21" iMac with 8GB though. The idea of spending north of $1500 for a computer limited to 8GB when it's almost 2018 is insane.

Wondermutt

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2017
US
Does Germany have a refurb store? This was the route I ended up taking (and I was in a similar boat as you). By the time I priced out what I needed/wanted on the 21.5" I decided I may as well get a refurb 27". Ended up with a base model and 256GB SSD for $1609 (US). I'll upgrade the RAM myself in the next year or so probably.

Honestly, I was worried about the physical size being too large. It really isn't at all though, it fits perfectly. I previously had a 21"-ish Dell Monitor sitting on a little stand I had made to make it a more comfortable height..... the iMac doesn't look any bigger than this combination.

Reactions: fathergll

ApplePearBanana

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2017
Germany does have a refurb store but they're only selling 2015 iMacs at the moment (though there are plenty of 2017 MBPs). I'll keep checking.

I looked at both iMac models at the store today and the 27" is a monster! Definitely overkill for my needs, that thing is massive. These machines are beautiful, though. They look a little retro yet modern with superb tech (where else do you get 5K screens?), I like that. What I didn't like was the mouse, that has to be the worst pointing device I have ever used. My hands started to hurt after using it for 5 minutes. How Apple designed a mouse with such atrocious ergonomics and thought it's good enough is beyond me. It also had the charging port at the bottom, making an already terrible design even worse. Maybe I'll get the Magic Trackpad, or just keep using the USB mouse I'm using with my MBP now.

The size of the 21.5" is closer to what I want but once I add an SSD and 16GB Ram to the 21.5" model there is only a 120EURO difference to the 27" with an SSD and 8GB RAM (that I could upgrade later), and then I would feel stupid paying so much for the smaller model. So for money reasons I would only buy the 21.5' with 8GB RAM, the price for the 16GB is bananas. I'll decide on one of the following:

• get the 21.5" with an SSD, keep the 8GB stock RAM because an upgrade would put the price to nearly the same level as the 27". This way I would save money and could keep my 1080p Eizo on the desk for times when I want more screen real estate (I sometimes use both the screen of the MBP and the Eizo when I work with many files at once). Downside is I will be stuck with 8GB of RAM for the lifetime of the Mac. This may be enough for my uses (mainly office and photo editing).
  • OR
  • buy the entry level 27" with an SSD and the 8GB stock RAM. This way I could easily upgrade the RAM in the future should I feel the need for it. Downside is I would spend more money, about 300 as the prices are right now. This isn't pocket change but on the other hand I want to use this thing for many years. I've had my MBP for 7 years now and this iMac should last this long as well (or longer).

I'm kind of struggling to justify such a massive "pro" computer for my needs but I'm still unsure if 8GB of RAM will be enough for the next 7 or so years. Some of these "enabling" replies are making me feel a bit better, though, should I go for the bigger model. :)

In terms of size, a 24" iMac would be perfect for me, but there is no such thing, unfortunately. I'll wait for Black Friday and decide then. I'm hoping there'll be some good deals. Some stores let me combine an education discount (5-8%) with whatever deal they're offering, so hopefully I can get a good price.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"I looked at both iMac models at the store today and the 27" is a monster! Definitely overkill for my needs, that thing is massive. These machines are beautiful, though. They look a little retro yet modern with superb tech (where else do you get 5K screens?), I like that. What I didn't like was the mouse, that has to be the worst pointing device I have ever used."

If you can afford the 27", GET IT!
You'll never regret having made that decision once you have it.

Having said that:
Like you, I can't stand Apple's mice. It's trivial to plug in a 3rd-party mouse, set it up and use it. I prefer Logitech's products, but I don't use the Logitech mouse drivers. Instead, I use "SteerMouse".

Same for the keyboard, Apple hasn't made a good one since the "ADB days". I use 3rd-party keyboards as well.

If you buy the entry-level 27", don't feel compelled to get the 1tb SSD -- it's too much money for what you get. I'd get a 256gb or 512gb SSD, and plug in more storage space via USB3.

Wondermutt

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2017
US
I looked at both iMac models at the store today and the 27" is a monster! Definitely overkill for my needs, that thing is massive.

I had this same issue with the 27" initially. I went to the store to see it in person and it was a massive screen. But, weighing the options like you did, I decided that for my situation this was the smarter choice and I would get used to the size. Once I unboxed it and put it on my desk though it looks great. I think seeing it in the store where it's in the middle of a room next to the smaller iMacs and laptops it does look like a beast. However, at home by itself tucked up against the wall it blends in well.

ApplePearBanana

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2017
I just ordered a 27" iMac with a 256GB SSD, a Magic Keyboard with numeric keypad and a Logitech MX Master 2S mouse to replace the terrible Magic Mouse. My first iMac and my first desktop. Let's hope I made the right choice. :apple:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I think you'll be just fine with that.
IF you find you need "more storage space", just pick up a USB3 external drive -- HDD or SSD, depending on your needs and budget... ;)

ApplePearBanana

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2017
I've been using my new 27'' iMac for a week now and I love it! Thanks for pushing me towards the larger model, I wouldn't want to go back to a small screen now. The only downside of the 5K display is that almost all streaming video content is 1080p or less, so a lot looks rather blurry. Even 1440p doesn't look all that crisp. Same goes for images.

Now, I'm wondering whether it is worth purchasing Applecare for my iMac since it's the most expensive computer I ever bought. I bought it for my MBP, iPad and iPhone and never needed it. So, for a stationary computer it's probably pointless, right?

Reactions: lali

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So, for a stationary computer it's probably pointless, right?
Most computers yes, the iMac, maybe/maybe not. You see the iMac is virtually sealed and the cost of a component replacement is not going to be cheap. For 169, I felt it was an inexpensive option to ensure that I have 3 years of coverage.

Reactions: colodane

OBirder

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015
Now, I'm wondering whether it is worth purchasing Applecare for my iMac since it's the most expensive computer I ever bought. I bought it for my MBP, iPad and iPhone and never needed it. So, for a stationary computer it's probably pointless, right?

Hmm, I would think quite the opposite. It’s an all in one computer and like the current MBP not easy to open and repair.

While I never buy warranty on household appliances or a car, I do buy Applecare for my products. This with the consideration that Apple has some of the best mostly hassle free service should you need it (I had to use it).
Sure at the end of the day you might not need it, but it gives you worry free 3 years and in case you need it then your most expensive computer investment is protected.

By the way congratulations for your new iMac.

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
Congrats on the new machine - excellent choice!

While I do not buy AppleCare for my iOS devices (maximum loss is less than $1000, and I'm comfortable self-insuring for this), I do always get it on the iMac - for the reasons noted in the above posts. Reasonable cost for covering a $3000 difficult-to-repair device. And don't forget that you also receive 3 years of convenient phone support for any issues (including your own) with the iMac and attached peripherals.

Reactions: macfreedom

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you spring for AppleCare, there are a few places online that sell legitimate "boxed copies" at a discount.
Try B&H Photo in New York.

DON'T buy AppleCare on ebay!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.