Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmysofat6864

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2018
I am trying to decide if I want to get a M1 MacBook Pro 16Gb ram or to get a 32Gb 16 in MBP 2019 as both of these machines are around the 1500 price bracket used and seem to satisfy my requirements. On one hand, the 16 inch 2019 seems great because I currently use a 2015 15 inch MBP and I like the increased screen size and I feel like the ability to use windows is something that I might find somewhat useful in the future. But on the other hand, I am looking at the 2020 13 inch M1 MBP 16gb ram because apple will be phasing out intel shortly and I don't know how long the 2019 MBP will keep getting updates. But I feel like after getting used to the 15 inch MBP, the 13 will feel like it is too small. And the ability to have good battery life and not melt off my legs also seems like a great benefit as well.

So basically, is it better to get a 16 inch 2019 MBP 32 GB ram or would I be better suited for a 2020 MBP 16Gb ram? I am looking at getting both of these computers used. My workloads are nothing too insane like normal office work and whatnot but sometimes I do the occasional video edit and maybe some video transcoding as well. I also usually have a decent amount of applications open and usually leave things open a lot and I know for sure that 8GB is not enough on my 2015 Air. I plan on using these machines for a decent while but not for too long maybe 4ish years.

Misheemee

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2020
Hands down M1 -

Intel’s are being phased out, and with the M2 release, Apple dropped support for a lot of the Intel Macs. I’d expect them to continue to do so in the not so distant future as well.

Reactions: satcomer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.