Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hiranmay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2022
Hi, my typical workflow consists of some tabs in figma, around 30-50 browser tabs, discord, slack, spotify and occasionally some pro apps like da vinci resolve, etc. I also use VS Code and plan on getting into iOS/MacOS app development down the road. I may also start using Logic Pro X or a similar DAW in the future.

What suits my needs better? A MacBook Air or a Pro? Will 8GB RAM be enough?

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
If you expect to perform sustained high processor load tasks, you'll want the MacBook Pro, whose active cooling gives it an advantage in that area.

If you're using Figma and Resolve, you'll definitely want the 16GB of RAM.

I think the base model 14" rMBP with M1 Pro would be even better for your described workload, if you have the budget for one.

hiranmay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2022
If you expect to perform sustained high processor load tasks, you'll want the MacBook Pro, whose active cooling gives it an advantage in that area.

If you're using Figma and Resolve, you'll definitely want the 16GB of RAM.

I think the base model 14" rMBP with M1 Pro would be even better for your described workload, if you have the budget for one.
hmmm. I've been thinking about getting 16GB RAM too. Just a little curious if I really need Pro's active cooling. Will the Air start to throttle under my workload?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
hmmm. I've been thinking about getting 16GB RAM too. Just a little curious if I really need Pro's active cooling. Will the Air start to throttle under my workload?

The passive cooling on MBA will cut performance by 10-15% after a minute of sustained CPU/GPU workload. 8GB is out of the question and active cooling is strongly recommended for your workflow.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Yeah, it really sounds like you've got a fairly demanding workflow now, and are looking to expand it in the future. Seems like you probably could get by with an Air, but given all this work you want to do I would advise spending a little more now on a Pro with 16 GB of RAM to have room to grow into.

Also I'd throw this out: Macs get "slower" over time because of increasing software demands. Each OS seems to want more resources (which I'm sure drives new Mac sales but that's another topic). So, today's "getting by" might turn into "irritatingly slow" a couple OS versions down the road.

Reactions: Basic75
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.