Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thecyclist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2021
First-time poster here! I'm a college student and eligible for the higher education discount on the new 16-inch MBPro. I need to slightly customize the device to add more RAM and SSD. I save $280 with my student discount (total would be $3219, down from $3499).

I'm looking for advice on when I should make the purchase. Will Apple be discounting the products directly at all this year, or doing the standard gift card with purchase? Would that apply to something this new like the MBPro?

In light of the customizations I need, am I only able to get this device from Apple? Or could I get it from any other seller (i.e., BestBuy, Amazon, etc.). And even if I could, would the savings be greater than the $280 Apple gives me as a student?

I don't actually need the device until late December-ish, but am concerned about a decent shipping delay if I hold off on ordering until Cyber Monday (I want to get it setup before my semester starts in early January; with the customizations, delivery if I ordered today would be Dec 14-21). If I were to get an Apple Gift Card by waiting to purchase during the holidays, I'd do that. But if that's not a possibility and I'm unlikely to find a better deal from another seller, I might as well purchase now.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

10 Gauge

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2020
To use the education store discount, you'll have to purchase directly from Apple. I can 99% assure you they won't be discounting the new MacBook Pro's this year, and if they did the savings wouldn't be greater than your education store discount.

With the customizations you need, order today, because delivery dates are moving further out daily.

thecyclist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2021
To use the education store discount, you'll have to purchase directly from Apple. I can 99% assure you they won't be discounting the new MacBook Pro's this year, and if they did the savings wouldn't be greater than your education store discount.

With the customizations you need, order today, because delivery dates are moving further out daily.
When you say they won't be discounting the MacBook Pros, you mean there also won't be any giftcard/add-on benefits either?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.