Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
You must be an incredibly patient individual. I went online using my B&W G3 and page load times were agonizing. G4s seem to struggle, too. For a pleasant experience on the web, I think you need at least a G5.

G4s running optimized Leopard and a speedy browser like Leopard Webkit are still pretty useable I find.

G3s can be hit or miss. I actually find that they're not too bad most of the time in OS 9 with Classilla, although the rendering engine in Classilla is showing its age and really struggles with some sites(this one for example). I'm also using an Airport card(802.11b) on our unlocked home "guest" network.

In fact, yesterday evening I spent a while playing around with my 9600(2x200mhz 604E processors) running OS 9.2.2 and Classilla. That computer has a 10/100 card(onboard ethernet is 10baseT) that speeds things up a lot, and I have a "hot" graphics card in it-a Radeon 9200(temporarily, until I can finish my 8600 G4 project)-that helps things along a fair bit also. Most of the internet is okay, although it rolls over and dies when I try to access this site.

I can get this site to load in Classilla using a single 1.25 MDD, although it still doesn't render correctly.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
Cool picture! Hard to believe 2004 was over a decade ago. At that time, some of our high school's computer labs still had iMac G3s. My parents were too cheap, and had no appreciation for Apple computer designs. In 2004, I was still using a Compaq PC running Windows 98 SE. It sucks that these eMacs are so expensive to ship; I have two working machines sitting in storage.

You must be an incredibly patient individual. I went online using my B&W G3 and page load times were agonizing. G4s seem to struggle, too. For a pleasant experience on the web, I think you need at least a G5.
My G4s dont struggle doing much of anything except iMovie with the eMac

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
An eMac was my very first Mac, I think it'd be perfect for movies and music but doubtful for anything else. I have no idea how it would perform on the Internet today, but it was still working really well even in 2009 when I played around with it before I got rid of it. That was before HD video and HTML5 were everywhere though, it probably couldn't even browse Facebook now lol.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
An eMac was my very first Mac, I think it'd be perfect for movies and music but doubtful for anything else. I have no idea how it would perform on the Internet today, but it was still working really well even in 2009 when I played around with it before I got rid of it. That was before HD video and HTML5 were everywhere though, it probably couldn't even browse Facebook now lol.
They work well for pretty much everything even in 2015.
Your G4 machines must be better than my G4 machines. Those freebie logic boards are beast.
It wasn't free and it's already paid for

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
There's a bit of lag in scrolling certain websites; Facebook works just fine, but it is pretty jumpy scrolling. Surprisingly, it loads and renders pages pretty quickly otherwise.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky

I tried using my new Wallstreet(mainstreet) to type a reply to this post. I was using Classilla and had it connected via internet sharing to a Macbook Pro. The 10baseT onboard ethernet certainly didn't help, either. The Xenforo migration basically killed off most machines running OS 9 accessing this website, or at least without using a near top of the line G4 system(MDD, TiBook, etc). A good part of the internet is still doable, though.

Of course, the Mainstreet is pretty handicapped in that it not only has a G3 processor, but has one with no L2.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Yeah, thats whats sad. I remember using my PowerBook G4 (667Mhz!) to browse the internet comfortably in 2010. I even watched videos! I visited Macscripter.net a lot too.

Fcr-900

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2020
I've bought two 17" ADC CRTs in the past month and a half or so.

The first was damaged in shipping. There was no cosmetic damage, but the upper right of the screen had a terrible green cast that was not present before shipping. Fortunately, I did get a refund and it's now off to the UPS claims department heaven.

Fortunately, the second came through without any trouble, but it's definitely hit or miss.

I was glad I was able to buy my 21" locally, although getting the 80lb monitor in the house wasn't exactly easy.

The Trinitron in the eMac-when in good shape-is indeed superb though.
The eMac actually has the famous trinitron display??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.