Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
hello, I just wanna know if anyone knows about adorama and whats their say about it? I'm getting an apple care plus for my MacBook Pro Non touch bar 2016, its my first time purchasing one, I saw that adorama has it and its way cheaper than the one from apple. Should I get it from there? also, is this the right apple care plus for my laptop? how do I use/ add this in my laptop's warranty?

Last edited:

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
hello, I just wanna know if anyone knows about adorama and whats their say about it? I'm getting an apple care plus for my MacBook Pro Non touch bar 2016, its my first time purchasing one, I saw that adorama has it and its way cheaper than the one from apple. Should I get it from there? also, is this the right apple care plus for my laptop? how do I use/ add this in my laptop's warranty?

https://www.adorama.com/acmd014lla.html

That looks like the old AppleCare, not AppleCare +, which is going away and why it is on "Closeout" .

The old AppleCare added 2 years to the manufactures warranty for a total of 3 years, but does not cover accidental damage. AppleCare+ adds the two years AND covers several incidents of accidental damage, with an additional service fee for each incident

AppleCare+ can only be purchased within 60 days of purchase. AppleCare can be purchased any time during the 1st year of ownership

The details of AppleCare+ can be found on this page. https://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html

To activate the old AppleCare you just go to the link on the card in the box and enter in the serial number of the mac and the reg # on the card.

Last edited:

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
My AppleCare was activated by B&H Photo on my newly purchased 2015 MBP 15". Not sure how Adorama handles it but I didn't have to do anything. Received notification from Apple on the activation.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
That looks like the old AppleCare, not AppleCare +, which is going away and why it is on "Closeout" .

The old AppleCare added 2 years to the manufactures warranty for a total of 3 years, but does not cover accidental damage. AppleCare+ adds the two years AND covers several incidents of accidental damage, with an additional service fee for each incident

AppleCare+ can only be purchased within 60 days of purchase. AppleCare can be purchased any time during the 1st year of ownership

The details of AppleCare+ can be found on this page. https://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html

To activate the old AppleCare you just go to the link on the card in the box and enter in the serial number of the mac and the reg # on the card.

but would this work with my MacBook Pro 2016?

also, does that means I can't get the apple care plus anymore since I purchased this last December 2016? and apple doesn't sell just the apple care that I can purchase within the first year? so then I can't get any warranty for my Mac from Apple Store?

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Call Adorama and ask. That's the only way to be certain.

It should work. Unless you get a response from someone with the same combination of hardware + purchasing decision, you should simply ask Adorama. It appears to indicate 13" macbook pro. None of the commenters indicate whether they purchased it for a 2016 model.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
Call Adorama and ask. That's the only way to be certain.

It should work. Unless you get a response from someone with the same combination of hardware + purchasing decision, you should simply ask Adorama. It appears to indicate 13" macbook pro. None of the commenters indicate whether they purchased it for a 2016 model.

ok thanks. I just check the apple website, theres no option for me to buy the apple care plan from there. did they stop selling it?

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA

also, does that means I can't get the apple care plus anymore since I purchased this last December 2016? and apple doesn't sell just the apple care that I can purchase within the first year? so then I can't get any warranty for my Mac from Apple Store?
Ya, you can use any Applecare plan purchased from any authorized reseller so long as it's specifically for the 13-inch model. This will allow you to get Applecare, without the accidental protection. That's pretty much the only difference between Applecare and Applecare+, accidental protection (a claim is not free, by the way).

The Applecare+ for Mac just launched alongside the 2017 Macbook Pros, and the rule is that you're only eligible for it if you subscribe within 60 days of purchasing your Macbook. So unless you purchased your 2016 model within the last 60 days, you will not be eligible to purchase Applecare+

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area

The Apple Care should work for your unit since you are in the first 12 months since your purchase.

However, for Apple Care+ you are outside the 60 day enrollment period. But, AppleCare+ only came into existence in the middle of June. If you really want AppleCare+ call Apple and see if they will sell it to you.

But, AppleCare+ is more expensive, around $270 for a 13". And they charge you a service fee for those accidental repairs.

Coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage, each subject to a service fee of $99 for screen damage or external enclosure damage, or $299 for other damage, plus applicable tax

And it does not cover catastrophic damage, whatever that is.

You need to decide if those charges are worth it.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
Ok thanks so much for the help guys! I've never heard about the new Apple care plus, thank you for all the info!!

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
ok thanks. I just check the apple website, theres no option for me to buy the apple care plan from there. did they stop selling it?

I think they only list it as an add-on there, but I'm not sure. I haven't purchased anything directly from Apple in a while, because the third party retailers often charge less.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.