Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Is it still possible to buy an app via the Mac app store, then download an earlier version (as described here)?
I'm considering getting Logic Pro, but should have done this years ago as the current OS demands are higher than what I have/want to install (plus I don't have (or see a need to have) a "Metal" compatible graphic card in my mid-2010 Mac Pro) and I hear from many sources that earlier versions have been much more stable.

Anyway, specifically this is what I've heard can be done to :
1) temporarily install the OS version the app in question demands (for instance, on a separate hard drive/SSD)
2) boot into that OS, then log into the Mac app store and buy the app in question (the current version)
3) Reboot the computer, now into the older OS version you normally use
4) log into the Mac app store (you possibly have to delete the previously installed app in question), then re-install (re-download) that app, and hopefully you should be alerted that the current version of the app doesn't work on your computer, buy you can download/install the latest compatible version for your OS.

So if I upgrade to MacOS 10.15 (I'm currently at 10.13.6 and happy with that for a variety of reasons), possibly borrowing a metal-compatible graphic card in the process, then purchase the current version of Logic Pro X (presently at 10.6.1). Can I then reboot into 10.13.6 and be allowed to download a previous version which works with 10.13?

And which version of Logic Pro is seen as the most stable/best featured version? I just want something that works, and Garageband (10.3.5) is fine for me, except it doesn't handle the more advanced stuff like syncing to MIDI which I need.

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Anyone?

I'm basically asking if older versions of Logic Pro are still available (after buying the current version)?

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Thanks. I heard it was possible from another thread, so a couple of weeks ago I went ahead and purchased it when in Catalina (10.15). Then, from within High Sierra (10.13) I re-downloaded my Logic Pro purchase and could download the latest version compatible with High Sierra.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.