Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dingo Dave 69

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
I just wondered if the majority of people here bought tv shows / movies etc from itunes or if you buy the physical product and then just convert it. Which option do you choose and why?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Mix of both, really.

For music, a CD really needs at least 3 songs that I like before I buy. I've been burned so many times where a CD only has one good song and it's $12 down the drain. Otherwise, I'll buy the single from iTMS.

For movies, I rent from Blockbuster or the Library. I haven't bought a DVD in a while ... waiting for a BluRay player to show up in my family room before I buy any more discs.

When I do get a BluRay player, I'll rent movies that I don't think I'll want to keep, but buy the really good movies.

ft

nineteentwelve

macrumors regular
May 31, 2007
Shrewsbury, UK
I buy a mixture of both. I have OCD when it comes to music, in that I have to buy the whole album and not just a single. So if it's an artist I really like, I'll buy the physical CD only to copy it into iTunes. Anything else I'll download from the iTunes Store. Downloading also helps me think I'm at least doing something to save the world.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
I just wondered if the majority of people here bought tv shows / movies etc from itunes or if you buy the physical product and then just convert it. Which option do you choose and why?

Mix of both for me.

I've moved to almost totally digital for my music purchases, with the occasional physical CD purchase. For video I still buy the majority, but that is mostly TV show sets these days. I've also been renting a more movies now that it is so convient with the :apple:TV.

Regards,
Michael

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Mix of both for me.

I've moved to almost totally digital for my music purchases, with the occasional physical CD purchase. For video I still buy the majority, but that is mostly TV show sets these days. I've also been renting a more movies now that it is so convient with the :apple:TV.

Regards,
Michael

Are you moving you're TV shows over to the ATV, I've been doing some, it makes it convienant, still theres a loss of quality going from say a good Encode of Wild Wild West to a 1500kbs AVC encode.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
Are you moving you're TV shows over to the ATV, I've been doing some, it makes it convienant, still theres a loss of quality going from say a good Encode of Wild Wild West to a 1500kbs AVC encode.

I don't sync the episodes, if that's what your asking, but I do watch them on the :apple:TV via streaming. When I encode I start with the :apple:TV pre-set in Handbrake and the only thing I change is I lower the average bit rate down to 1800Kbps and I uncheck the 64-bit option. This gives me a quality I am satisfied with.

Regards,
Michael

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I don't sync the episodes, if that's what your asking, but I do watch them on the :apple:TV via streaming. When I encode I start with the :apple:TV pre-set in Handbrake and the only thing I change is I lower the average bit rate down to 1800Kbps and I uncheck the 64-bit option. This gives me a quality I am satisfied with.

Regards,
Michael

I've been doing two pass encodes using the Ipod Hirez setting with anamrphic. Trying to keep the Ipod compatibility, but I'll try a few with the Apple TV Preset down to 1800, are you using 2 pass?

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
I've been doing two pass encodes using the Ipod Hirez setting with anamrphic. Trying to keep the Ipod compatibility, but I'll try a few with the Apple TV Preset down to 1800, are you using 2 pass?

I don't use the 2-pass option. I just don't see any difference in the video. But that might be my aging eyes. If you see a difference then keep using it. It's all about what looks good to you.

Keep in mind that if you use the :apple:TV pre-set you will break iPod compatibility for your video. That particular pre-set is designed specifically so video will look good on the :apple:TV and the video probably won't copy to your iPod.

You should check out this sticky thread of you want good quality with multiple device compatibility.

Regards,
Michael

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
I do both (As well as downloading from File Sharing Sites) Most of the TV Shows I have are iTunes bought, Only 2 Movies are iTunes bought (Ratatouille & The Guardian) and I've also bought a couple of short films (Disney & Pixar Shorts)

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I don't use the 2-pass option. I just don't see any difference in the video. But that might be my aging eyes. If you see a difference then keep using it. It's all about what looks good to you.

Keep in mind that if you use the :apple:TV pre-set you will break iPod compatibility for your video. That particular pre-set is designed specifically so video will look good on the :apple:TV and the video probably won't copy to your iPod.

You should check out this sticky thread of you want good quality with multiple device compatibility.

Regards,
Michael

It's depends I've found that some files with the ATV Preset do copy, as long as the bitrate is below 2500, but it may be hit or miss. I have a PC Version of Itunes with all my Ipod Touch encoded files I may just end up keeping two versions, can't have your "Cake" as they say. I do see a difference with 2 pass, besides the file sizes being slightly smaller I see more solid black levels, a bit more vibrant color.

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
I have yet to purchase a movie from the ITMS, though I have rented a few.

I have, however, pretty evenly split my music purchases between hard and soft delivery.

uva25

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2008
I buy all music digitally as long as it doesn't have DRM. Mixture between Amazon and Itunes but mainly Amazon as Itunes plus is limited.

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2006
Earth
I buy most of my CDs used. I get them 10 for $30 or $5 each at my favorite booth. Most of his stuff is Rock-n-Roll but you can find just about anything. I only go about once a month with a list of artist and just get what I'm missing. I have about 600 CDs in my collection. The only times I use iTunes is if I hear someone I don't know on the radio and I like the song. In the end it's a 50/50 chance I get the entire CD. I have the daughter of my girlfriend use my computer to buy her songs, kids stuff, every once in awhile. They don't have internet but she does have a ipod she needs to feed. Her favorite gift is a iTunes gift card. :D I have about 10 CDs off eMusic, about 5 from Amazon, and maybe 20 songs and 3 complete CDs off iTunes. I have 17k items in iTunes on my main computer (my entire CD collection).

I have from iTunes 4 music videos, 1 movie, 2 shorts, about 10 1 hour TV shows and a lot of free TV shows. I have thousands of DVD and have just started ripping them over the last 6 months. I only do a few a week so not to burn myself out. My setting is QT because it's fast and simple and can go on my iphone, macbook, and streams to my :apple:TV. My movies are no more than 2GB some are only 1GB but my big HDTV is only 32". I have rented 1 movie, just to see how it works. I figure I will use rental for comedy but keep buying Science Fiction/Fantasy on DVD or Blu-ray because I never get tired of them.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
It's depends I've found that some files with the ATV Preset do copy, as long as the bitrate is below 2500, but it may be hit or miss.
Just an fyi, the HandBrake AppleTV preset uses bframes. No iPod/iPhone can play a video that uses bframes.

Victor ch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
San José, Costa Rica
Singles on iTunes +, entire albums on physical cds only; 128kbs its an insult to me, 256 is acceptable; Lossless FTW. Im hopefully getting my 160GB tv in the next few months, apparently my crt does have component in so it does work with the tv.

Victor

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Haven't brought a CD in years. All from iTunes. Yes most of it is DRM, but it really doesn't bother me. I can just burn it to CD if I want to get rid of it. And before you rush to tell me the sound quality will reduce — I'm no audiophile, so I won't notice any difference.

More convenient, portable and less clutter.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
If I really want an album, I buy the physical copy, just so that I can shove it into the car without having to burn another cd. Also the artwork and case gives more sense of value for money to me, even though it'll sit in a drawer for the rest of it's life.

I have bought the odd one or two album off iTunes as it was impossible to find them elsewhere, but I'll always try and find a physical copy first.

Victor ch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
San José, Costa Rica
Haven't brought a CD in years. All from iTunes. Yes most of it is DRM, but it really doesn't bother me. I can just burn it to CD if I want to get rid of it. And before you rush to tell me the sound quality will reduce — I'm no audiophile, so I won't notice any difference.

More convenient, portable and less clutter.

I actually dig the DRM (people will eventually learn that your music is your music and not meant to be passed around). I don't consider myself and audiophile either, but if you've got the proper equipment you'll learn to appreciate the difference and its highly likely you will avoid compressed music.

Victor

cohibadad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
I buy DVDs rip them and stream to :apple:TV. Can't get myself to justify paying more for digital download with less.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Both.

However, I really like the convenience of the iTMS so I am beginning to purchase more video and audio from that source.

CD wise, one nice thing is being able to DL the one song you want instead of purchasing an entire CD. I really like that feature.

Video wise, I like it already being in a format that can sync with my Touch without further conversion or hassle.

Sijmen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
I've been buying DVDs lately, mostly on sale and ex-rental, and handbrake them. No movies on iTunes in the Netherlands yet.

As for music, nothing beats iTunes, especially on pricing.

dbwie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2007
Albuquerque, NM, USA
rent

I only rent movies, whether they are from iTunes store or physical media. I also sign out movies from my University's media library.

Most of my music is "purchased" from the iTunes music store. I say "purchased" in quotes because I was an early iPod buyer and collected TONS (literally hundreds) of free iTunes song caps during the Pepsi super bowl promo. None of my friends had iPods at the time, and they all gave the caps to me! Thus, I built up quite a library of my favorite 70s and 80s tunes at no cost to me. Now, I occasionally purchase new albums, but I have most of what I want and listen to and use internet radio to hear the latest stuff.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I say "purchased" in quotes because I was an early iPod buyer and collected TONS (literally hundreds) of free iTunes song caps during the Pepsi super bowl promo. None of my friends had iPods at the time, and they all gave the caps to me! Thus, I built up quite a library of my favorite 70s and 80s tunes at no cost to me.
A very nice way to build up your library for free. :)

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Until Apple makes all the encodes Anamorphic and with 5.1 surround, I am not buying anymore. The newer releases are Anamorphic, so they are heading in the right direction, they are just not their yet.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Never bought a TV Show on iTunes yet. Downloaded the first episode of season 5 for free - that's the only iTunes TV Show I have.

And I don't think I'll buy any at all - I hate DRM. I have all my stuff on my wee portable 3.5" hard drive. I can take that hard drive round to a mates in my pocket and be able to watch anything from my collection. If that was all DRM, then I'd have to download iTunes (he isn't big on Apple), log in just to play it. What if he didn't have internet access for a while?

All of my TV Shows I've ripped from DVD and tagged.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.