Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malldoctor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2024
Hi All,

This would be my First post at Macrumors and I am looking for your guidance and expertises to decide on which Mac to Upgrade to.

History : I am a Apple User since 2007 and I am was running a MBP 15" Mid 2012 till 2020, where in the machine had logic board issue where it kept restarting on little movement or jerk of the table also. So I had to Downgrade to MBP 13" MD101.

I had Upgraded the SSD and RAM to 16GB and have been adjusting to the saggy experience due to constraint in Un affordably of the Macs in India as Find them too expensive on what it was .

Updrage : While the MD101 can still awesomely handle basic task and most of the general work load in non software / Creative work eneviovroment , I am finally taking a decision to updarege to latest OS and Hardware. The new Machine would be required to be able to sustain for at least next 10 years. While I can still push the MD101 for another year or 2, But it is dragging me little bit here and there .

Usage of Machine :

1. Mails - Heavy - Currently its about 40 GB and lots of mails from multiple accounts and have about 100 folders and rules set.
2. Excel - Heavy In additional to normal reports and other basic excel, I work on lot of data files where each excel can have max of 500 sheets in one excel file.
3. Basic Video editing - More of Merge / Crop / Split etc work.
4. All other basic day to day of Browsing, usage of AI generators , etc.
5. Will be requiring Parallels for tuning few windows specific account apps.
6. Gaming - Will be using parallels to play games like GTA / CS 2 / other FPS games . ( Hope to be able to play GTA 6 in 2025 :)
7. Multi tasking - I would want to be able to run heavy excel files (with at least 200 sheets in each files) with multiple tabs and windows of safari and other apps windows.

New Machine Choice Confusion :

As I am going to investing in the machine and the usage will be for the next 10 years at least from the basic research , I want to ensure that all of the above can be taken care of in a very smooth way for the next 10 years.

Things I am unable to decide on :

- Processor : I wanna go for the Max based on looking for Long Term but Confused between 2 M3 Max options . Based on my usage will the Base M3 Max will do or the higher model for better graphics in gaming ?

- RAM - Will 36 GB good enough for next 10 years or its better for 48 GB?

- Screen Size : 14" or 16" - While I am used to the 13" , I loved my 15" MBP . I realise that the 14" MBP is almost the screen size of the Old MBP 15" mid 2012 model. I want to know if performance of the config vary based on the 14" & 16" model.

- Storage - As I am Looking for next 10 years , I surely know that I will need 2 TB of storage but I am also considering the 4TB.

I need your help or your views on what config is must have thing , do that I don't over spent on extra what is not gonna be critical.

Looking forward for your Guidance.

Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.