Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OstrichGoose08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2016
So I'm stuck in a bit of a problem. I'm not sure whether I should buy iTunes music from the store or get Spotify Premium, what do you think? If I chose the iTunes route I'd buy an iPod Nano. If I chose the Spotify premium how much GB would it take up in storage if I had a lot of music?

Thank you :)

xb2003

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2016
MO
I'm a fan of Apple Music, but I like Spotify as well. Spotify is a streaming service, so if you stream all of your music, theoretically it wouldn't take up more than a few megabytes. If you start saving music for offline playing it will be 3-4 MB/song for normal quality and twice that for high quality, depending on the length of your songs.

The way I see it is, if you are going to spend $10-$15/month buying music, you might as well buy a streaming service. Of course, if you have a small data plan or live in an area with bad service, streaming might not be for you.

Reactions: bobtennis

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
I am a user of Apple Music (have been since it came out) and it really is a great service. It was very buggy at first, but has become a great competitor for Spotify. Having the ability to download any music on the iTunes store for only $10 a month has been a great deal for me as I was already spending more than that buying music. While I do still by physical music such as vinyls and CDs in order to get more rare music, Apple Music is great for combining my physical and digital music libraries. I have about 25GB of music (or around 3100 songs) all downloaded on my phone and I still have plenty of storage. I would for sure using Apple Music if you want to stream and have a large library of music not on iTunes. If you just want to stream or download the music to your phone but don't have a physical library, then I would use Spotify. It is much more social and I know many people that love it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.