Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phoenix_jet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2.53GHz, Mid 2009)

Currently running a Pro w/ the specs above. I've changed the hard drive and maxed the ram.

Interested in getting a M1 Air but wondering if the new devices can be fixed when they need new parts. I don't do any hard core applications so I'm sure the M1 will be fine.

I've replaced the HD and battery pack in this.

Or maybe I buy the M2 since i'm going to run it till it dies.

Are the new ones just done when they start having issues and overall thoughts appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: russell_314

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
The battery, keyboard and some other components can be replaced. When it comes to the SSD, CPU, or RAM it's all part of the main logic board. That can be replaced as well. I love my M2 Air but I wouldn't want to keep it past 7 years. I think at some point you no longer get security updates so with me doing banking, paying bills, all my passwords and bank cards are on it so I wouldn't even consider that.

phoenix_jet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
The battery, keyboard and some other components can be replaced. When it comes to the SSD, CPU, or RAM it's all part of the main logic board. That can be replaced as well. I love my M2 Air but I wouldn't want to keep it past 7 years. I think at some point you no longer get security updates so with me doing banking, paying bills, all my passwords and bank cards are on it so I wouldn't even consider that.
Thanks for the feedback.

Reactions: russell_314

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
M1 is a very capable chip still. However the difference between the new M2 air and M1 are bigger than just the chip. If you tend to keep your devices a long time then I would suggest getting a middle point M2 air. One with the 512gb ssd and 16 gb ram. Should last a long time. If you bought the previous air you might save a few bucks but you would have an old design with a dimmer screen right out the gate. In another few years it would really feel dated where as the M2 with its new display, redesign, MagSafe and faster chip will be a better experience over time. The extra money is kind of a wash if you keep it for a long time as it is amortized over many years.

As for replaceable parts not much. Everything is soldered together including the ram and ssd. You might be able to replace the screen and keyboard but that is about it. So you have to also consider that when you buy. Whatever you get you will be stuck with as there is no way to upgrade anything.

Reactions: phoenix_jet

phoenix_jet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
M1 is a very capable chip still. However the difference between the new M2 air and M1 are bigger than just the chip. If you tend to keep your devices a long time then I would suggest getting a middle point M2 air. One with the 512gb ssd and 16 gb ram. Should last a long time. If you bought the previous air you might save a few bucks but you would have an old design with a dimmer screen right out the gate. In another few years it would really feel dated where as the M2 with its new display, redesign, MagSafe and faster chip will be a better experience over time. The extra money is kind of a wash if you keep it for a long time as it is amortized over many years.

As for replaceable parts not much. Everything is soldered together including the ram and ssd. You might be able to replace the screen and keyboard but that is about it. So you have to also consider that when you buy. Whatever you get you will be stuck with as there is no way to upgrade anything.
Thank you, this is very helpful and though out.

Would the repair capabilities also be just as limited w/ a 13 inch Pro?

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Yes. Same unified architecture in the chip design. The only significant difference in the pro version speaking of m2 pro is the cooling system and Touch Bar. Otherwise the ram, ssd, and cpu/gpu are all integrated in the SOC or chip. Same with the MBP 14” and 16”. Other than chassis, screen, speakers and IO they all use the same unified architecture.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
As for reliability long term no one really knows yet. Considering iPhones tend to last a long time I would guess these unified chips in laptops would too unless they are defective. But if you have a failure on any part like ssd or ram or cpu/gpu the entire SOC will need to be replaced.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Thank you, this is very helpful and though out.

Would the repair capabilities also be just as limited w/ a 13 inch Pro?
Exactly the same situation regarding reparability. The way Mac's are designed today your best to buy the cheapest model for your needs as they are not capable of being upgraded and have very limited reparability.

TBH even the base model M1 Air would be a massive upgrade versus your current MBP.

Q-6

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
https://www.theverge.com/2022/8/23/23318736/apple-macbook-part-prices-self-service-repair-program

You can see what you can repair yourself using the Self Repair program (assuming it's available to you).
This is interesting. For the M1 Air (2020), you can buy the battery by itself, but for the M1 MBPro (2020), you must buy the entire "top case" with battery.

Unfortunately the M2 Air is not listed. Since the case was redesigned for the M2 Air to be more like the MBPro, I am guessing that the M2 air battery replacement would also require the top case part, like the MBpro.

The page says for the MBPro "You have to buy the entire top lid that comes with that and other parts preattached, and it’ll cost you more than twice the $199 that Apple charges for a battery replacement."

So that could be a reason to prefer the M1 Air (maybe even over the M2 Air) IF you anticipate doing a battery replacement yourself (but not if you expect to have it done by Apple).

phoenix_jet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
Yes. Same unified architecture in the chip design. The only significant difference in the pro version speaking of m2 pro is the cooling system and Touch Bar. Otherwise the ram, ssd, and cpu/gpu are all integrated in the SOC or chip. Same with the MBP 14” and 16”. Other than chassis, screen, speakers and IO they all use the same unified architecture.
Thank you.

phoenix_jet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
This is interesting. For the M1 Air (2020), you can buy the battery by itself, but for the M1 MBPro (2020), you must buy the entire "top case" with battery.

Unfortunately the M2 Air is not listed. Since the case was redesigned for the M2 Air to be more like the MBPro, I am guessing that the M2 air battery replacement would also require the top case part, like the MBpro.

The page says for the MBPro "You have to buy the entire top lid that comes with that and other parts preattached, and it’ll cost you more than twice the $199 that Apple charges for a battery replacement."

So that could be a reason to prefer the M1 Air (maybe even over the M2 Air) IF you anticipate doing a battery replacement yourself (but not if you expect to have it done by Apple).
Thank you sir....

phoenix_jet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
Exactly the same situation regarding reparability. The way Mac's are designed today your best to buy the cheapest model for your needs as they are not capable of being upgraded and have very limited reparability.

TBH even the base model M1 Air would be a massive upgrade versus your current MBP.

Q-6
Right, I figure upgrading from a 2009 to anything recent is going to be huge....

I'm driving a 2006 Honda accord b/c it still runs. Last model to not include a USB... Even if i purchased a 5 yo car as a replacement it would seem like a major upgrade.

Reactions: Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
Right, I figure upgrading from a 2009 to anything recent is going to be huge....
It will a massive uplift. I bought a base model M1 13" MBP out of curiosity, it absolutely blew away all my other Mac's (13" & 15" MBP). More so it easily keeps up with my 17" Windows notebooks and one has a very fast hexcore CPU with 32Gb RAM. My original plan was to swap out the 13" MBP when the new 14" was launched, however I didn't as the 13" proved to be so capable.

Irrespective of model you'll be very pleased, nor do you need to break the bank to get a very performant notebook :) TBH the M1 Air is an absolute bargain, especially if you live in a region where they are discounted.

Q-6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.