Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

serendip

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Present computer is MBP 13” mid 2010, 2.4gh. Several years ago I installed 16gb ram, and 500gb SSD. High Sierra. The SDD uses 228gb, I can reduce that a bit by removing old apps, duplicate files, etc.

It’s great, but OS limitations are causing problems. I can’t sync iPhone and iPad. I will soon need to replace the ancient HP printer. I can’t install the tax software (it’s some kind of crazed irony, that a tax software program is the push for a new computer!) And… it’s time.

After tons of reading and watching and considering my needs and that history proves I don’t update quickly, it makes the most sense to have 16gb ram and 512 SSD, and with those up charges to the base MM, the M2 Pro base seems the way to go. (Ideally, from Apple refurbished store.)

My questions: Ethernet, Monitor, Keyboard & Mouse

1. 10gb Ethernet? I’ve read about the numerous issues, some resolved by changing settings, updating OS. I know about the OWC and RapidHUB, etc., adapters. If I have this computer for 10+ years, will I regret not getting the 10gb Ethernet? (I set up a friend’s M2 16” MBP, and was easily getting 800-900s over wifi. My MBP is limited by the Ethernet port.)

2. I use a Dell U2415 monitor with my MBP. I expect it will work with the Mac Mini, yes? At least until I want/need to replace it?

3. I’ve not found a keyboard or mouse I like more than my Apple A1243 wired keyboard, and wired Mighty Mouse. i think these will work, again, at least until I want/need to replace them?

Thank you so much!

• Haha
Reactions: EzisAA

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
1) 10G is quite a lot. How heavy is your networking usages going to be? If you keep computers that long I can't imagine networking speeds over regular 1G ethernet is going to limit you faster than any other aspect of the computer. - But yeah, Wi-Fi is also quite fast on the new machines

2) I don't see why it wouldn't

3) I don't see why it wouldn't :)

Reactions: serendip

Daveg6

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012
Present computer is MBP 13” mid 2010, 2.4gh. Several years ago I installed 16gb ram, and 500gb SSD. High Sierra. The SDD uses 228gb, I can reduce that a bit by removing old apps, duplicate files, etc.

It’s great, but OS limitations are causing problems. I can’t sync iPhone and iPad. I will soon need to replace the ancient HP printer. I can’t install the tax software (it’s some kind of crazed irony, that a tax software program is the push for a new computer!) And… it’s time.

After tons of reading and watching and considering my needs and that history proves I don’t update quickly, it makes the most sense to have 16gb ram and 512 SSD, and with those up charges to the base MM, the M2 Pro base seems the way to go. (Ideally, from Apple refurbished store.)

My questions: Ethernet, Monitor, Keyboard & Mouse

1. 10gb Ethernet? I’ve read about the numerous issues, some resolved by changing settings, updating OS. I know about the OWC and RapidHUB, etc., adapters. If I have this computer for 10+ years, will I regret not getting the 10gb Ethernet? (I set up a friend’s M2 16” MBP, and was easily getting 800-900s over wifi. My MBP is limited by the Ethernet port.)

2. I use a Dell U2415 monitor with my MBP. I expect it will work with the Mac Mini, yes? At least until I want/need to replace it?

3. I’ve not found a keyboard or mouse I like more than my Apple A1243 wired keyboard, and wired Mighty Mouse. i think these will work, again, at least until I want/need to replace them?

Thank you so much!
I bought a Mac Mini with 16/512 and it flies. Safari is topping out wired from Comcast at 996 mbps. I still use my wired keyboard and mouse from my 2009 MP. I also Have a Kensington trackball that’s really old. I had a Canon printer that they never updated to Sonoma so I replaced that with a new Epson printer. Epson supports Apple products much better than Canon. We have 1 GB Ethernet and the phone and pads get 680-770 in Ethernet speeds. They are older models. I’m very pleased with the Mini, which I purchased from the refurbished store along with an Apple studio display, saved $400.

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2016
01000011 01000001

Thank you so much!

Grab a Logitech MX Master 3S. It is consistently ranked as the best mouse on the market. Not to mention that it is also much more ergonomic and you don't have to turn it over to charge it. 🤣

Reactions: sarga and serendip

serendip

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
1) 10G is quite a lot. How heavy is your networking usages going to be? If you keep computers that long I can't imagine networking speeds over regular 1G ethernet is going to limit you faster than any other aspect of the computer. - But yeah, Wi-Fi is also quite fast on the new machines

2) I don't see why it wouldn't

3) I don't see why it wouldn't :)
Thank you! The usage won’t be that heavy, Firefox tends to be a memory hog, as does anything Google… docs, email, etc. This is really helpful.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Thank you! The usage won’t be that heavy, Firefox tends to be a memory hog, as does anything Google… docs, email, etc. This is really helpful.
Sure. But the network speed isn’t really affected by memory usage of the app. If your usage is internet and not device to device networking I doubt you’ll get anywhere near saturating a 10G connection in the next decade. More bandwidth will also have a very very minimal impact on most day to day internet usage. Latency already matters a lot more than bandwidth for that at 1G. It only really matters for large file downloads and such.

serendip

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
I bought a Mac Mini with 16/512 and it flies. Safari is topping out wired from Comcast at 996 mbps. I still use my wired keyboard and mouse from my 2009 MP. I also Have a Kensington trackball that’s really old. I had a Canon printer that they never updated to Sonoma so I replaced that with a new Epson printer. Epson supports Apple products much better than Canon. We have 1 GB Ethernet and the phone and pads get 680-770 in Ethernet speeds. They are older models. I’m very pleased with the Mini, which I purchased from the refurbished store along with an Apple studio display, saved $400.
This is incredible, thank you! I’m on Comcast, my speeds will likely be similar, I just tested my M1 IPP over WiFi, and it’s 630. And the printer info is so helpful… I’ve been looking at Brother, I’ll look at Epson and ignore Canon. Thank you!

serendip

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Sure. But the network speed isn’t really affected by memory usage of the app. If your usage is internet and not device to device networking I doubt you’ll get anywhere near saturating a 10G connection in the next decade. More bandwidth will also have a very very minimal impact on most day to day internet usage. Latency already matters a lot more than bandwidth for that at 1G. It only really matters for large file downloads and such.
Of course… thank you for your patience, I’m confusing myself with all of this! (And though Comcast loves mentioning 10g, I doubt we will get anywhere near there for some time, we are always last market to upgrade.)

serendip

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Get the 10Gbe with the machine. Any third party solution like the OWC will consume exponentially more power, not to mention that all 3rd party solution cost more than what Apple will sell you built into your machine.
Great point, thank you! This is just about the only reasonably priced upgrade they offer.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Great point, thank you! This is just about the only reasonably priced upgrade they offer.
Comcast’s Xfinity 10G does not mean you get 10 internet. What I could google my way to they top out at 1.2Gb at present though that article did say they were planning multi gigabit for 2023. But the thing they advertise when you just go to their website is 200Mbps even though it is on their 10G network. In other words a simple gigabit connection is plenty to saturate it.

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
will I regret not getting the 10gb Ethernet?

1Gbit via ISP to the Interwebs is not close to being saturated at this time for the vast majority.

Benchmarks are not our baseline.

I have 1Gbps fibre to the Interweb and I still find myself often waiting for the other end to respond. I want it All (of course), but . . . 🤷‍♂️

Maybe--in 10 years time--we'll find 10Gbps internet to be in the same spot that we are in, today.

If you're questioning the $/£/€ expenditure for an upgrade to 10Gbps networking right now, you're prob. not in a position to expend the monetary resources necessary to upgrade your .local net to such now; never-mind the near-future ;)

Everything will be OK :)

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
I think it depends a lot on where you live.

10Gb FTTH is now becoming fairly widely available here in Japan. Since I already had a 10GBE Thunderbolt 3 LAN adapter I was using with a previous Mac, I decided to just keep using it and get an M2 Pro Mini with the standard Gigabit Ethernet port.

Screenshot 2023-12-23 at 18.03.22.png

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
10 GbE is also dependent on what infrastructure you connect to. My apartment building is only 15 years old but all of the wiring in the building uses the Cat 5e standard, which limits any connection to 2.5 Gbit/s. Upgrading the cables for the entire complex would be a massive undertaking, so it's never gonna happen. The benefit of being in a fairly modern building though is that every room has at least one ethernet jack that is connected to a hidden central hub in my hallway where my router lives. Just having everything on a hardwired Gigabit connection is a huge upgrade over wifi for overall performance and network stability.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
What I could google my way to they top out at 1.2Gb at present though that article did say they were planning multi gigabit for 2023. But the thing they advertise when you just go to their website is 200Mbps even though it is on their 10G network. In other words a simple gigabit connection is plenty to saturate it.

I get ~1.4 Gb/s which may increase as they just upgraded our local lines to handle 3 Gb/s. Unfortunately their modem only has 1 GbE connectors which max out ~920 Mb/s so the only way I can actually max out the connection is to use it via WiFi 6E rather than ethernet.

This limitation only applies to the internet. Your intranet is not restricted by the modem bandwidth. If you use this system on your local network as a server and have multiple users then a faster adapter might be needed even if you aren't maxing out your internet connection.

I still find myself often waiting for the other end to respond.

Websites that support those high speeds are rare. Apples' update server is one of them. If you have multiple users or multiple network tasks they can saturate the network even if they are all at lower speeds.

10 GbE is also dependent on what infrastructure you connect to.

The cables, switches, routers, etc. on your intranet all will affect your speeds.

Personally I always buy at least 1 grade above my current needs as I would kick myself if I found the system to be inadequate in the future and would have to be replaced. Luckily that's not a problem here with 3rd party adapters being available.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Get an m2pro Mini.

Standard RAM size is 16gb, which I'd consider to be "the minimum" these days for Apple Silicon.
Question: will 16gb still be enough 7 years from now?

Base model drive size is 512gb. The 1tb SSD is fully 2x as fast as the 512.
Question: will 512gb still be enough 7 years from now?

As far as the 10gb ethernet goes, I would only get this if you KNOW WHY you would need it now. If, at some point in the future ethernet faster than 1gb became available, then just get a dongle and connect that way.

I'm typing this on my 2018 Mini, which is connected via ethernet to a 1gb fiber line. Just tested it with speedtest.net online, and got around 930 "down".

Last thought:
If you're thinking about buying from the Apple online refurb store, you need to check in DAILY (or even more than once each day).
Items get added to stock there, and then can sell out quickly.
So... if you see the one you want... BUY IT. Or... lose out.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe

Hey OP! I’ve had that 13” 2010 MacBook Pro for many years (you can see it in my signature). It was a great laptop from 2010 to 2019, but sadly as you said, it got stuck on High Sierra -yes, I know there are unofficial ways to update it further-, and despite the fact that I upgraded the drive to an SSD and the RAM to 8GB, it felt a quite slow at the end of its life, maybe because of the ancient Core2Duo CPU architecture, or because of the SATA II bus. That’s when I jumped to my current 2014 mac mini which, despite being just 4 years newer, felt like a whole new generation with the Haswell i5 dual core CPU.

Now, seeing that you keep your devices for way longer than 10 years, I would recommend you to upgrade some specs of your M2 Pro mini, which is a great device to hold onto for the next decade. Although, if you could wait until March, we’re probably seeing a new M3 Mac Mini, and the base M3 is so powerful that in some CPU benchmarks it scores almost like the M2 Pro, although GPU wise the M2 Pro is still superior in raw power (without RayTracing tho). Also, with the M3 you’ll be given the option of upgrading to 24GB of RAM, at a much more affordable price.

Now, if you can’t wait three months, and you’re decided to get the M2 Pro Mac mini, and you expect to have it for more than 10 years, I would consider upgrading the SSD to 1TB a) to never be short of storage, b) to enjoy the better SSD speeds, and c) to expand its lifespan, because as you may know, SSDs have a limited number of reads and writes.

I would also recommend you to upgrade to 24GB of RAM, but sadly that option isn’t available for the M2 Pro, only for the base M2 and M3. And going with 32GB, although a good idea for a mac that will receive many macOS updates in the far future, it will be too expensive. Here in Europe that upgrade alone is more than 400€, which is a lot of money to be honest.

So I think the base model could be fine for you, especially if you find it discounted, refurbished or in the second hand market. Or, you could buy it new, and maybe upgrade the SSD, which will be noticeably more expensive.

Still, I would wait three or four months to see how the M3 minis are, because I feel it is worth the wait.

Good luck!

PS: All of the above is my humble, personal opinion. I may be wrong on some things, but I wanted to share what I thought about, and help OP in his decision.

Reactions: sarga and serendip

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Websites that support those high speeds are rare. Apples' update server is one of them. If you have multiple users or multiple network tasks they can saturate the network even if they are all at lower speeds.

Yah . . . it's just me--and I do a lot of funky stuff on the network--but I'm not close to maxing a 1Gbps pipe just yet ;)

Reactions: Chuckeee

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
I think it depends a lot on where you live.

10Gb FTTH is now becoming fairly widely available here in Japan. Since I already had a 10GBE Thunderbolt 3 LAN adapter I was using with a previous Mac, I decided to just keep using it and get an M2 Pro Mini with the standard Gigabit Ethernet port.

View attachment 2328109
Posts like this is what makes me want to give every broadband provider in the US a big kick in the taint.

Reactions: picpicmac

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Posts like this is what makes me want to give every broadband provider in the US a big kick in the taint.
Why? >1Gbps internet is rolling out to the US at a faster pace than ever. And the real-world use cases for >1Gbps internet are few and far between.

And I say this as someone with 5Gbps internet.
5Gbps Speedtest.jpeg

serendip

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Get an m2pro Mini.

Standard RAM size is 16gb, which I'd consider to be "the minimum" these days for Apple Silicon.
Question: will 16gb still be enough 7 years from now?

Base model drive size is 512gb. The 1tb SSD is fully 2x as fast as the 512.
Question: will 512gb still be enough 7 years from now?

As far as the 10gb ethernet goes, I would only get this if you KNOW WHY you would need it now. If, at some point in the future ethernet faster than 1gb became available, then just get a dongle and connect that way.

I'm typing this on my 2018 Mini, which is connected via ethernet to a 1gb fiber line. Just tested it with speedtest.net online, and got around 930 "down".

Last thought:
If you're thinking about buying from the Apple online refurb store, you need to check in DAILY (or even more than once each day).
Items get added to stock there, and then can sell out quickly.
So... if you see the one you want... BUY IT. Or... lose out.
These are helpful questions and comments, thank you!

Of course I can‘t predict 7 years from now, but my guess is that if 16/512 aren’t enough then, technology and cost will likely be so different, anyway, that I’m back here again, asking for advice!

Yes about the online Apple Refurb store, I’ve learned that… if you see it, grab it!

serendip

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Comcast’s Xfinity 10G does not mean you get 10 internet. What I could google my way to they top out at 1.2Gb at present though that article did say they were planning multi gigabit for 2023. But the thing they advertise when you just go to their website is 200Mbps even though it is on their 10G network. In other words a simple gigabit connection is plenty to saturate it.
Thank you for digging through that mess! The Comcast plan I have was just upgraded by them to 1.2Gb a couple of months ago, I do realize that the 10G Ethernet option doesn’t mean I would see it any time soon, if ever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.