Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msett

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
So thinking of buying my first imac in the up coming few weeks. Should I wait until Apple Expo starts to see if any updates or not worth it? I am thinking getting 17 inch 2.0 GHZ. Will it be good for running most things. Little photoshop, some photo manageing and music/internet. Some games also eventually. I am looking forward to having desktop MAC I will use more and play more with. Also will I be upset having 17? I want 20 but it seems big but I still like it. Money is just a concern. MY biggest screen now is 17 so I dont think it will matter.

Matt

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
msett said:
So thinking of buying my first imac in the up coming few weeks. Should I wait until Apple Expo starts to see if any updates or not worth it? I am thinking getting 17 inch 2.0 GHZ. Will it be good for running most things. Little photoshop, some photo manageing and music/internet. Some games also eventually. I am looking forward to having desktop MAC I will use more and play more with. Also will I be upset having 17? I want 20 but it seems big but I still like it. Money is just a concern. MY biggest screen now is 17 so I dont think it will matter.

Matt

The 20 inch screen is much much better IMHO. :)

However if money is an issue then 17 inch it is. :)

All the best to you.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
The iMacs won't get significantly updated for a while. They're already a very strong/competitive part of the Apple line up. I've got a 17 inch one and I absolutely love it. Don't wait, grab it now. :)

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Msett--

I recently went through the same decision you did. I went with the 20" because it offers a bigger screen (duh!), higher resolution on that screen, and a larger hard drive as stock. I was moving from a 15" Powerbook, so either screen would have been noticeably bigger--but when I saw them side by side at the Apple Store (Denver), I figured I'd want the bigger screen down the road. I'm running a law office on it, so it is handy to be able to be able to see different windows open at the same time.

I also put 2 GB of RAM in it, maxing it out, which offers a noticeable performance jump from what was already a much faster machine than my Powerbook (1.5 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 5400 RPM HD, etc).

HTH,

Bob

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
msett, If I was in your shoes I would go for the 20" iMac G5. But if money is a concern then just go with the 17" iMac G5. I use a 17" 1.6GHz iMac G5 at college and I love it. Either way you go, you will end up with an awesome computer that will last you for a while to come! :)

BTW, I do not think that I would wait for the Paris Expo before buying a new iMac G5- I really do not see any iMac updates coming out of there.
But that call is up to you. :)

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2005
Denton, TX
msett said:

Matt

I have the 17'' 2.0 Ghz iMac. Right now it can feel sluggish if I have a couple apps running and try to, say, open Dashboard - it takes it a little bit to load up the widgets, but then they run fine. With an extra 512 MB RAM (or more, if possible) it should perform fine and get rid of those occasional slowdowns.

I haven't used Photoshop on it, so I can't give you any solid opinion on that. But I have been able to rip and encode DVDs without a problem; I also run WoW fine.

And I don't find the 17'' too small at all, so don't feel too bad if you can't get a 20''.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I agree w/ previous posters-- Don't wait! Get an iMac now! The longer the wait, the longer you will be missing out on a fantastic addition to your daily uses. I'll also echo the other posters in saying that the 20" is incredible (I own one, so yes, I'm a little biased) but I was terrified at first thinking that the 20" would seem too big...

Within a matter of 3 days, I felt shocked whenever I used a smaller screen. :eek: You get used to the size mighty fast.

Either way, you'll love the iMac!

cschen

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2005
you may think 20" is big now. but once you start using the 20", you'll think it is not that big and you may want something bigger :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.