Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I wasn't sure where to start this thread but since I'm buying an MBA I thought I'd post it here. So I'm buying a maxed out 11" (i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD) + superdrive + TB to ethernet port + MagSafe to MagSafe 2 Converter and it's about €2200. The problem is that the maximum amount that can be deducted from my amount is €1500 a day. I contacted Apple asking if they could split the transaction into 2 and the lady said she would have to talk to the finance department about it and get back to me. Has anyone ever done this or know if they will be able to?

I don't know how else I'll be able to buy it since I don't have any Apple stores anywhere near me and and the resellers will take weeks to order my custom BTO model.

Edit: I called up bank again and they said it's actually doable in 2 transactions on the same days, doesn't have to be in 2 consecutive days. So I called Apple again and I talked to someone else this time and they said that they have had people try this in the past but they can't do it that way. It has to be done in one transaction. So I cancelled my order and went to the closest Apple reseller and ordered all that for the same price except no €80 student gift card. It'll take 1-2 weeks which is about the same as if I had ordered it in directly.

Last edited:

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Your bank limits how much of your money you can spend at a time?

Not sure about the details. Maybe they meant in one single transaction. I better call back and ask. Maybe it's because it's a student account? When using an ATM the most you can withdraw is €400 in one transaction but you can do it more than once (although I don't know if there's a daily limit).

So you don't know if Apple will allow me to do this?

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
If you could go into a store they probably could, and maybe even over the phone too. But if you want to do this online then probably not.

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
If you could go into a store they probably could, and maybe even over the phone too. But if you want to do this online then probably not.

No Apple stores in the Republic of Ireland unfortunately. I don't think they'll be able to it online either because of this limit.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
My guess is you're going to have to see if you can get the bank to remove the transaction limit.

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
My guess is you're going to have to see if you can get the bank to remove the transaction limit.

Already asked but they said that's not possible. They said that Apple should be fine with doing it in 2 transactions as long as I tell them that's why my payment didn't going through.

Right now I'm just waiting for Monday so they get back to me since their finance department isn't open over the weekend. I was just hoping to hear from someone who knows if it is possible to do this.

Monkeyat

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2009
Already asked but they said that's not possible. They said that Apple should be fine with doing it in 2 transactions as long as I tell them that's why my payment didn't going through.

Right now I'm just waiting for Monday so they get back to me since their finance department isn't open over the weekend. I was just hoping to hear from someone who knows if it is possible to do this.

How is that not possible ? I had the same issue last week when buying my MBA. I've just called my bank and asked a ONE TIME permission for an INTERNATIONAL transaction with my card. And that was done instantly!!! I was still on the phone with my bank when I made the payment at Apple website :cool:

So, call you bank back and ask again... remember that YOU are the client !

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
How is that not possible ? I had the same issue last week when buying my MBA. I've just called my bank and asked a ONE TIME permission for an INTERNATIONAL transaction with my card. And that was done instantly!!! I was still on the phone with my bank when I made the payment at Apple website :cool:

So, call you bank back and ask again... remember that YOU are the client !

I don't think it's an international transaction but I'll call again and see what I can do. What was your issue exactly? Mine is only that the amount is greater than 1500euro. It's a bank debit card not a credit card and can only be used online in certain places that accept it. This might be why there are restrictions.

And I know I'm the client so does that mean Apple will be ok with taking the money in 2 transactions? :p

This is exactly how I feel!

1855648-shut_up_and_take_my_money.jpg

Monkeyat

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2009
I don't think it's an international transaction but I'll call again and see what I can do. What was your issue exactly? Mine is only that the amount is greater than 1500euro. It's a bank debit card not a credit card and can only be used online in certain places that accept it. This might be why there are restrictions.

And I know I'm the client so does that mean Apple will be ok with taking the money in 2 transactions? :p

I have a MasterCard. For security reasons it has a limit of 1.000€ per transaction. So I've called my bank and explained the situation. The bank authorized an ONE TIME national transaction of 3.000€ (I'm in France). It didn't work but I was still one the phone with the bank and she authorized an international transaction! That was it. Maybe it's because your card is a simple debit card... but when I say you are the client it's regarding your BANK. Remember that you're paying for the services and that is YOUR money on the other side !!!

Anyway, if Apple accepts you're lucky... otherwise you should insist with your bank !

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I have a MasterCard. For security reasons it has a limit of 1.000€ per transaction. So I've called my bank and explained the situation. The bank authorized an ONE TIME national transaction of 3.000€ (I'm in France). It didn't work but I was still one the phone with the bank and she authorized an international transaction! That was it. Maybe it's because your card is a simple debit card... but when I say you are the client it's regarding your BANK. Remember that you're paying for the services and that is YOUR money on the other side !!!

Anyway, if Apple accepts you're lucky... otherwise you should insist with your bank !

Only time will tell I guess. I have a MasterCard as well but it's a student MC and the limit is €600 (maybe €1000).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.