Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anaxarxes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Hi guys,

Finally upgrading to a new MBP, but I'm shocked about the new prices.

My current machine is a 13" mid 2009 MBP.

What I do on my machine is to store my photo archive and edit many raw files that I shoot with my SLR, as well as occasional GoPro video editing.

I'm leaning toward the ne MBP 13" with touch bar, 2.9 GHz Dual Core i5, 256 SSD and 16GB RAM. I do not mid the loss of ports and I actually like the design.

However for the almost the same amount of money I can go to the 2015 MBP with 3.1 GHz Dual Core i7 with 16GB RAM and 512 SSD

Also, I can go to mid-2015 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Quad Core i7, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD.

I drool over the SSD speeds of the new ones, but I can get more storage with the old ones.

Also I may get more performance with the 15" due to the edits I'm doing could take advantage of the extra cores.

But the 15" is 2 generation behind and the performance could be not as well as I thought compared to the 2016 13" MBP.

What do you think?

Which one would you pick considering the RAW photo and video edits?

Last edited:

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Hi guys,

Finally upgrading to a new MBP, but I'm shocked about the new prices.

My current machine is a 13" mid 2009 MBP.

What I do on my machine is to store my photo archive and edit many raw files that I shoot with my SLR, as well as occasional GoPro video editing.

I'm leaning toward the ne MBP 13" with touch bar, 2.9 GHz Dual Core i5, 256 SSD and 16GB RAM. I do not mid the loss of ports and I actually like the design.

However for the almost the same amount of money I can go to the 2015 MBP with 3.1 GHz Dual Core i7 with 16GB RAM and 512 SSD

Also, I can go to mid-2015 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Quad Core i7, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD.

I drool over the SSD speeds of the new ones, but I can get more storage with the old ones.

Also I may get more performance with the 15" due to the edits I'm doing could take advantage of the extra cores.

But the 15" is 2 generation behind and the performance could be not as well as I thought compared to the 2016 13" MBP.

What do you think?

Which one would you pick considering the RAW photo and video edits?

Well the quad core will make a big difference in adobe CS and FCPX etc it's that simple, they will be pushing 2x as fast for some things. But the new screens are 40% brighter with a wider gamut that may be the best upgrade for photography...

Reactions: Anaxarxes

Anaxarxes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Thanks!

For video editing I'm mostly using iMovie. It's just for my motorcycle and diving trips, nothing much.

I would say I will be doing more Photoshop edits than videos for sure.

In that case your recommendation would be the the newest model due to wide gamut display? Should I also consider last years 13" model with the i7 and 512 SSD for performance?

Last edited:

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Thanks!

For video editing I'm mostly using iMovie. It's just for my motorcycle and diving trips, nothing much.

I would say I will be doing more Photoshop edits than videos for sure.

In that case your recommendation would be the the newest model due to wide gamut display? Should I also consider last years 13" model with the i7 and 512 SSD for performance?

The i7 makes no real difference on the 13 inch to be honest it's still a dual core slightly higher clocked and an extra 1mb of L3 cache.

If you are just using iMovie and simple editing then any one will do you fine to be honest. It really will be about screen size, portability and that lovely new screen. The bigger SSD is nice but the performance difference will not be detectable in your use case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.