Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justmadeupname

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2022
I'm thinking of getting a refurbished or used iPhone 12 Mini, 128 GB for the next 3/4 years.

The 12 Mini would be replacing a iPhone SE 64GB (gen 1).

I'm a light user - Texts. Email, Spotify, Music App, Podcasts, some Youtube - I'd say 1-2 hrs per day - so battery should be okay for me.

Any opinions, eg would I get iOS updates for the next 3 or 4 years (my main concern)?

I'd consider an iPhone 12 as alternative - it's light and the larger screen estate appeals.

Overall I don't want to spend too much - I just don't use my iPhone that much to justify spending getting eg an iPhone 15.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Just to be clear you are in the tail end in terms of iOS support if you use iPhone 12 mini since it was released quite a while ago, and eventually app will abandon older version of iOS.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2015
NY
Just to be clear you are in the tail end in terms of iOS support if you use iPhone 12 mini since it was released quite a while ago, and eventually app will abandon older version of iOS.
There's probably at least 1 or 2 years left. I'd expect it to support iOS 19. I'd imagine iOS 18 drops XS/XR support, and 19 would drop 11. But, this isn't always the case.

So you're right that iOS support is ending soon, though considering OP still uses a first gen SE, they might not be too concerned about losing major software updates. Apple is pretty good about supporting security updates on older devices still. Major software updates most likely won't last the 3/4 years OP wants out of it.

I almost re-bought a 12 mini last year, but remembered how bad the battery got throughout the two years I've owned one and talked myself out of it. An Apple MagSafe battery pack, plus keeping brightness down, 5G off and barely using it only got me through 3/4 of the day. Absolutely adored the phone compared to my 14 Pro behemoth though.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

justmadeupname

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2022
iPhone SE 3 is as good as iPhone 13 and doesn't cost much and almost as small as minis, I think.
Yes, I have considered that and not ruling it out entirely.

However, firstly they don't appear on the UK Apple refurbished store and buying used is always lottery wrt to battery.

Secondly, it's old tech on the outside (no magsafe, old design, dated screen) from years ago but do agree for some people it's what they what eg a Home button, light and small.

Last edited:

justmadeupname

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2022
There's probably at least 1 or 2 years left. I'd expect it to support iOS 19. I'd imagine iOS 18 drops XS/XR support, and 19 would drop 11. But, this isn't always the case.

So you're right that iOS support is ending soon, though considering OP still uses a first gen SE, they might not be too concerned about losing major software updates. Apple is pretty good about supporting security updates on older devices still. Major software updates most likely won't last the 3/4 years OP wants out of it.

I almost re-bought a 12 mini last year, but remembered how bad the battery got throughout the two years I've owned one and talked myself out of it. An Apple MagSafe battery pack, plus keeping brightness down, 5G off and barely using it only got me through 3/4 of the day. Absolutely adored the phone compared to my 14 Pro behemoth though.

Yes, I'm fine it I get 2 year + 2 years security updates from the 12 Mini if I buy at good price.

However, @xxFoxtail is the battery really that bad on the 12 Mini - I read it was?

Perhaps a 13 mini is better choice then as I read the battery improved for this model but it's more expensive.

I would consider an iPhone 12 if the battery is going to last longer than a 12 Mini.

With my current SE gen 1, it's the battery that is really bad now. So I'd prefer a iPhone that has good battery for around 4 years after I don't mind replacing and I remember I'm not a power user.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2015
NY
Yes, I'm fine it I get 2 year + 2 years security updates from the 12 Mini if I buy at good price.

However, @xxFoxtail is the battery really that bad on the 12 Mini - I read it was?

Perhaps a 13 mini is better choice then as I read the battery improved for this model but it's more expensive.

I would consider an iPhone 12 if the battery is going to last longer than a 12 Mini.

With my current SE gen 1, it's the battery that is really bad now. So I'd prefer a iPhone that has good battery for around 4 years after I don't mind replacing and I remember I'm not a power user.
It was my personal experience. After two years with it, the battery was around 82% capacity. At the time, I was considering just getting a new battery for it.

My father bought a 12 mini at the same time as me (on launch day), he still uses it and has zero complaints about the battery. I even offered to give him my MagSafe battery pack when I upgraded, but he refused it. Perhaps I was just unlucky, or maybe he just doesn’t use his phone as much as I do - most likely the latter.

Lustral

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2015
Southampton, UK
I recently got one from the UK Apple Refurbished Store and only sold it myself. I used the refurb-tracker.com website to get notification when they are in stock and quickly check out when they do. I only had to wait 4 days. Unfortunately I just sold it on as I need a phone that lasts longer on its battery. The one I got was flawless considering it is refurbished unit. Good luck in your search for one, but I can recommend trying to get one from Apple directly.

justmadeupname

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2022
I recently got one from the UK Apple Refurbished Store and only sold it myself. I used the refurb-tracker.com website to get notification when they are in stock and quickly check out when they do. I only had to wait 4 days. Unfortunately I just sold it on as I need a phone that lasts longer on its battery. The one I got was flawless considering it is refurbished unit. Good luck in your search for one, but I can recommend trying to get one from Apple directly.
I tend to check the UK Apple Refurbished Store everyday but thanks for the refurb-tracker.com link 👍

I prefer buying from Apple Refurbished Stores than say e.g from Amazing as the item will be in very good quality or flawless as you wrote.

But @Lustral you are the second person in this thread that has commented on the battery for the 12 Mini. Did you use the 12 Mini a lot during the day?

Lustral

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2015
Southampton, UK
Sorry I so
I tend to check the UK Apple Refurbished Store everyday but thanks for the refurb-tracker.com link 👍

I prefer buying from Apple Refurbished Stores than say e.g from Amazing as the item will be in very good quality or flawless as you wrote.

But @Lustral you are the second person in this thread that has commented on the battery for the 12 Mini. Did you use the 12 Mini a lot during the day?
Sorry I should have been clearer and I bought a 13 mini. I usually got about 4-6hrs SOT before it was pretty dead. I have to baby it to last a day on my usage tbh. I still have my 15 Pro Max which last ages on its battery. I picked up a normal 15 a few days ago and will give it a proper test tomorrow on how well it can last on its battery.

justmadeupname

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2022
Sorry I so

Sorry I should have been clearer and I bought a 13 mini. I usually got about 4-6hrs SOT before it was pretty dead. I have to baby it to last a day on my usage tbh. I still have my 15 Pro Max which last ages on its battery. I picked up a normal 15 a few days ago and will give it a proper test tomorrow on how well it can last on its battery.

As I wrote I'm open to an iPhone 12 which should have better battery than the 12 Mini but I've been tentatively looking at the 15 (as it's an recently updated iPhone) so I'd be open to your views concerning it's battery.

Last edited:

Lustral

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2015
Southampton, UK
As I wrote I'm open to an iPhone 12 which should have better battery than the 12 Mini but I've been tentatively looking at the 15 (as it's an update phone) so I'd be open to your views concerning it's battery.
No worries I’ll share my feedback as much as I can. I don’t expect it to be as good as the Pro Max but I’m hopefully that it will last me a day with my typical usage. I got the 15 for a pretty good price but been also been tempted on the 15 Pro as well but I have read that the 15 Pro is worse than the normal 15.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Yes I would but it costs more (used) and hardly appears on the Apple UK refurbished store.
With the usage you’re describing the 12 should be fine. I wouldn’t expect more than six years of iOS updates in total, so until iOS 20. But even when running the last supported version you should be good for 1-2 additional years, especially with light usage. People are currently still on iOS 15 largely without issues.

The 13 might still be worth it for longer battery life expectancy and prospectively one year more of iOS updates. Its screen also has a higher maximum brightness.

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
However, firstly they don't appear on the UK Apple refurbished store and buying used is always lottery wrt to battery.
I bought a used iPhone before from random seller (happens to be a good guy) and because of me using iOS 17 beta at the time, I could not go lower than iPhone XS Max.

The first thing I did after buying the iPhone is contacting Apple to replace a battery, regardless of its percentage. It’s just much better that way to me. Hence last battery’s health is not even a concern at all for me.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I wouldn’t worry about the 12 being “too old”. I purchased a refurbished 6S plus several months ago for $135USD and it does everything I need (this year).

justmadeupname

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2022
The 13 might still be worth it for longer battery life expectancy and prospectively one year more of iOS updates. Its screen also has a higher maximum brightness.

Also with 13 you can add AppleCare+ and I believe not so for the 12 (well here in the UK anyway). So I'm actually swaying towards the 13 Mini now.

Thanks for everyones replies. it's been really helpful 👍

Last edited:

bzgnyc2

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2023

I'd hope 2-3 as that model is less than 4 years old still. However, it does appear that Apple is dropping support for phones in new iOS after 6 years.

I would be curious how the iPhone 12 mini battery life new compares with an iPhone SE (2016) with similar usage patterns starting with new batteries?

For me an iPhone SE (2016) lasts about 55 hours 100->0. More practical is charging it every 24-36 hours keeping it between ~20~80.

P.S.I notice a number of people on this forum refer to their battery life in the context of Battery Health ~ 80% or 85%. In my experience Battery Health is completely non-linear with usability. An 80% Battery Health battery does not last 80% as long as a 100% battery. I'd say my last battery at 80% lasted about 10% of a 100% battery. Towards the end it would sometimes reboot right after I pulled it off the charger. Yet iOS reported Battery Health 75-80%.

F-Stop

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
The 'Sunny' South Coast UK
I purchased the 13 Mini from @Lustral and it is, indeed, flawless. As he stated, he purchased it from the Apple Refurbished store and I added AppleCare+ to it immediately. I had the option of paying upfront or monthly for the AppleCare so you should have the choice too!

I have owned a 13 Mini before…I actually bought one when they were first released and have regretted selling it ever since, hence my recent purchase. My wife had a 12 Mini from new and the battery was nowhere near as good as the 13 Mini.

Hope this information helps

Andy 👌

• Love
Reactions: scrane and Lustral

Lustral

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2015
Southampton, UK
I purchased the 13 Mini from @Lustral and it is, indeed, flawless. As he stated, he purchased it from the Apple Refurbished store and I added AppleCare+ to it immediately. I had the option of paying upfront or monthly for the AppleCare so you should have the choice too!

I have owned a 13 Mini before…I actually bought one when they were first released and have regretted selling it ever since, hence my recent purchase. My wife had a 12 Mini from new and the battery was nowhere near as good as the 13 Mini.

Hope this information helps

Andy 👌
Small world Andy ! Didn’t know you was around on here as well. I hope you are babying that 13 mini that I sold you. Slightly regretting it now haha. Also I have sold my 15 Pro Max. Also getting itchy fingers and considering getting a 15 Pro. But we digress a bit on this thread. @justmadeupname i have had my 15 for about a week or so now and that can last me a day with my moderate to heavy use without issues at all. The battery is quite a bit better than the 13 mini to be expected due to a bigger battery and slightly better CPU with more RAM vs the 13 mini.

• Love
Reactions: F-Stop

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
13 Mini is the best phone I've had since the dawn of Apple.
Will keep it as long it's supported, if I'm satiesfied with it of course.

But I probably wont die to switch to a phone of the 15 (pro) size next time.
It's just stubbonness in reply to Apple for abandon the mini 😤

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.