Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tre-c

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2003
Houston
Im planing on buying a PBg4 17 inch by sept due to school cus my sony vaio isnt cutting it. Someone said there probably wont be a update for another 6 months or so which is ok with me. I just want others oppinions on this aswell. Should I go ahead and buy. I do know if i do buy i wil be so happy with it no matter what.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
well with whats goin on with the 15 inch powerbooks nobody knows what apple is up too. many of us have been saying laptops will be updated but updates never have come. the 17 is a great laptop right now. dont be scared about a g5 or anything being in it soon. the only thing that would probably be changed is a faster processor, faster and better GPU and little first revision quirks being squashed, although i havent seen many. 17 is great now and just wait and read the rumors when it comes time for you to buy.

iJon

HasanDaddy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Los Angeles
Tre --- the 17" can handle ANYTHING!!!!

if you're just doing word processing and internet, then buy it now (speed won't make a difference on that)

it will already do a great job with video and DVD-burning, but a faster bus will help that......... so if you're doing that kind of work, and you can manage to wait, then wait until late sept (when they'll probably come out)

otherwise --- its a WONDERFUL and AWESOME machine already....... even buying it now, you'll be happy

markiv810

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2002
India
Tre, you could wait till the Apple Expo in France, maybe Apple would announce new PowerBooks then. It's not too much of a wait though, you don't want to rush in and buy the 17" PowerBook as they might get upgraded soon with the video card also being upgraded. "Haste make waste", or I could be palin wrong.

jbomber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
Brooklyn - NYC
i broke down and bought a 17 after weeks and weeks of waiting with zero word from apple on new 15".

the 17 is a beast! it's got amazing firepower. the screen is gorgeous. it gets a ton of looks. it burns dvds.

it's pretty damn amazing.

seriously, if you've got the cash, you should just pick one up.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-Tre-c

Rumor has it that the current Rev of the 17 is EOL'ed.

Meaning new ones may be coming.

You can do one of three things:

1. Buy the 17 now, and have a 17 now.
2. Wait a bit, and exploit a price drop.
3. Wait a bit, and get an updated 17.

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
Do keep in mind that if you need it by a certain date, avalabilty may be important. If the current 17's have EOL'd and stock runs low and the new 17 doesnt ship right away (apple is known for this) then you might not be able to pick one up for a while.

hui__lim

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2002
I just bought a 17" yesterday and its an amazing machine. I highly recommend it. Do you really thinkt that Apple would update their 17" in 6 months time, I mean, the machine was just launched. Wouldn't it do harm to their sales of the 17'. They just released it! And plus the fact that people would get highly annoyed as well. I've had my PB 1ghz for about a year now, and it took only about a year for its line to be updated, so im thinking that it will take roughly a year for the 17" to be updated, however I might be wrong (by updated, i mean by hardware, not software like os x 10.3). I also think that the new 15" would still retain the g4 chip due to the simple fact that if they were to introduce the g5's, it would harm sales of the 17" and 12" that i iterate were just released. Just my 2 cents. I might be wrong though... only time will tell :cool: :rolleyes:

plutnicki

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2003
Just buy it

All anyone is really expecting on the 17" is a processor bump. Other than that, it's the most "up to date" of all the PowerBooks. I'd just do what I could to snag one now and enjoy the next few months. Waiting might get you a slightly faster machine. MIGHT.

Good luck

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Originally posted by hui__lim
Do you really thinkt that Apple would update their 17" in 6 months time, I mean, the machine was just launched. Wouldn't it do harm to their sales of the 17'. They just released it! And plus the fact that people would get highly annoyed as well.

advancing technology is a fact of life in the computing world. 6 months is quite a long time in the technology time scale and it would not be out of line at all if apple updated the 17". it will do apple more harm not to update regularly -- look at people waiting for the new 15". people who'd really get annoyed at this update cycle don't know enough about computers. sure, people will be a bit jealous of faster or cheaper machine, but they just move on. afterall, updates don't make their "old" machines slower or obsolete.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.