Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kelvin.lau

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2019
Any Canadians scheming on a way to be part of the first shipment of vision pros? I'm trying to figure out what options I have:

1. Drive down to US and line up at launch
2. Buy online and ship to a friend

Did they talk about potentially needing an appointment? Do I need U.S identification?

Reactions: shurcooL

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
I highly doubt they would ask for an American ID, although I never attempted to buy an Apple product in the US. Not sure if an appointment is required. If you live close to the border, I think the safest option would be to drive to the nearest Apple Store in the US

Reactions: ascender

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2009
I really hope Apple blocks all attempts for non-US buyers to get the device at launch.. Its a limited launch.. I'm sure everyone else will get it later in the year.
Well that’s awfully mean spirited of you. If a person lives close enough to the border to drive and buy one, that’s a good for that person. I can’t think of any reason except being a mean person to wish that this could not happen.

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
I really hope Apple blocks all attempts for non-US buyers to get the device at launch
I really doubt Apple would do anything about that, and it would be silly to do that tbh. This is not a US citizen exclusive launch, anybody that is in the United States should be allowed to buy it. I certainly wouldn't mind if non-Canadians wanted to buy some Canadian exclusive products when visiting the country.

IllusiveMan

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2018
Well that’s awfully mean spirited of you. If a person lives close enough to the border to drive and buy one, that’s a good for that person. I can’t think of any reason except being a mean person to wish that this could not happen.
I have no problem with people outside of the USA coming to get Vision Pro. I do have a problem with scalpers snagging them all up and selling them overseas, though. That, of course, can be someone from the USA or not.

kelvin.lau

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2019
Ditto. I'm an iOS engineer who is excited at the prospect of the start of a new era. Looking to buy one to start building apps for it!

bb147

macrumors member
May 21, 2010
Any Canadians scheming on a way to be part of the first shipment of vision pros? I'm trying to figure out what options I have:

1. Drive down to US and line up at launch
2. Buy online and ship to a friend

Did they talk about potentially needing an appointment? Do I need U.S identification?
Pre-order in the app otherwise it is very unlikey there will be stock by the time you get down there on launch day. At least that is my plan. Will be flying down so will book the flight after I have pre-order confirmation.

Based on iPhone launches, when you order for in store pickup, you have to choose a pickup time. So that should be the "appointment"

PS: You do need a US apple ID to use the US app store (needed for the face scanning feature)

kelvin.lau

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2019
Pre-order in the app otherwise it is very unlikey there will be stock by the time you get down there on launch day. At least that is my plan. Will be flying down so will book the flight after I have pre-order confirmation.

Based on iPhone launches, when you order for in store pickup, you have to choose a pickup time. So that should be the "appointment"

PS: You do need a US apple ID to use the US app store (needed for the face scanning feature)

Seriously? Need US Apple ID? What do you mean by face scanning feature?

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Avoid any words with an "ou" and naming the last letter of the alphabet and you should be fine...

Oh, and asking about the "prohcessor" will probably find you back on the street. Practice saying "prahcessor."

• Haha
Reactions: lanceuppercut47

bb147

macrumors member
May 21, 2010
Seriously? Need US Apple ID? What do you mean by face scanning feature?

Also the app store will likely be restricted to US Apple ID's since regional app stores are already a thing. So even if you do end up buying one in store, you'll likely need a US Apple ID to download/install apps.

kelvin.lau

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2019

Also the app store will likely be restricted to US Apple ID's since regional app stores are already a thing. So even if you do end up buying one in store, you'll likely need a US Apple ID to download/install apps.
Man, thanks for calling this out. This is critical setup for the 5am race.

daniops

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2024
I was able to pre-order one from Canada. The app that used my face ID worked with no issues, and my AppleID location is Canada.
I'm going to be driving to Spokane to pick it up. When the order took place I got a message saying I would need to bring a government-issued photo ID. I believe this is just to make sure I'm the actual person who ordered. I'm planning on bringing my Passport, which has a US-issued visa (I'm not a Canadian citizen, so I do need a visa to enter the US). I'll also bring my Canadian Drivers License, of course.
I entered my Canadian billing address on the website, used a Canadian Credit Card and had no issues with that during the order process.

I am a little worried about potentially not being able to pick it up on the pick-up date though.
I also understand that I may need to create a secondary Apple ID and set its location to the US to be able to access the app store.

EDIT: just fixed a typo ;)

bb147

macrumors member
May 21, 2010
I was able to pre-order one from Canada. The app that used my face ID worked with no issues, and my AppleID location is Canada.
I'm going to be driving to Spokane to pick it up. When the order took place I got a message saying I would need to bring a government-issued photo ID. I believe this is just to make sure I'm the actual person who ordered. I'm planning on bringing my Passport, which has a US-issued visa (I'm not a Canadian citizen, so I do need a visa to enter the US). I'll also bring my Canadian Drivers License, of course.
I entered my Canadian billing address on the website, used a Canadian Credit Card and had no issues with that during the order process.

I am a little worried about potentially not being able to pick it up on the pick-up date though.
I also understand that I may need to create a secondary Apple ID and set its location to the US to be able to access the app store.

EDIT: just fixed a typo ;)
Oh wow! I'm guessing you ordered on the apple website? I ended up using my US account to do everything.

I hope we are able to sign in to setup the Vision Pro using our canadian apple ID though otherwise I won't be able to use imessage or icloud photos until they release it in Canada. My US apple ID has nothing on it except for some apps.

sean+mac

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2020
Canada
I'll quote what I wrote in another international forum thread (just a theory though)

I'm in Canada, but one thing I am curious to get a video/screenshot of to confirm is if the Settings > Apple ID section allows for a separate Apple Id to be set within "Media & Purchases" similar to iPadOS and iOS.

If this continues to be its own setting, allowing users to switch their "Media & Purchases" account, then the the idea situation for international buyers would be that their existing Apple ID would:
  • Be associated to the device registration (Find My, reset ability, etc.)
  • Still power features like iCloud, Messages, HandOff, Continuity, Facetime, Photos ensuring these apps continue to work as expected with other devices.
At that point, while annoying to not have access to past app purchases or certain subscriptions, the US-based Apple ID just needed for installing free apps or maybe some time-limited content like 3D movie rentals. (I would avoid buying anything myself in the interim period.)

Given Apple doesn't flat out say the Vision Pro won't work for international buyers (see FAQ at bottom) but specifically notes content (and language) limitations, this theory doesn't seem a far stretch:

(Pickup options still show up for me. A 3-hour Saturday roadtrip into the USA is tempting, I'll admit.)

Reactions: profets

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I highly doubt they would ask for an American ID, although I never attempted to buy an Apple product in the US. Not sure if an appointment is required. If you live close to the border, I think the safest option would be to drive to the nearest Apple Store in the US
They absolutely will ask. You should be fine to pick up your order though.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I initially ordered on the US website, using my Canadian Apple ID and Canadian credit card without issue. Set it for pick up in Buffalo (I live very close to the border).

I’m more torn about how the usage will be given the requirement of an American Apple ID for store, music, TV+, etc, especially given that I feel like big part of my usage would be for entertainment. I do have an American Apple ID from way back, but not sure about using it to subscribe again to all these services. Curious to see how others fare come launch.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I initially ordered on the US website, using my Canadian Apple ID and Canadian credit card without issue. Set it for pick up in Buffalo (I live very close to the border).

I’m more torn about how the usage will be given the requirement of an American Apple ID for store, music, TV+, etc, especially given that I feel like big part of my usage would be for entertainment. I do have an American Apple ID from way back, but not sure about using it to subscribe again to all these services. Curious to see how others fare come launch.
Create a family and put both IDs into the same family and enable Family Sharing. This would be my first idea anyway.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Create a family and put both IDs into the same family and enable Family Sharing. This would be my first idea anyway.

That's an interesting idea - but unfortunately from a quick search "You cannot join the Family Sharing group if the Apple IDs are set to different countries"

Honestly, in the end I'm not too worried, get the sense that Vision Pro will launch in a few other countries this year, and if I really want to get one ASAP I can just suck it up and spend a bit extra with my American Apple ID for TV+ and such.

But first, need to see if we can have different IDs used on the device (one for iCloud, and another for media/purchases).

daniops

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2024
Oh wow! I'm guessing you ordered on the apple website? I ended up using my US account to do everything.

I hope we are able to sign in to setup the Vision Pro using our canadian apple ID though otherwise I won't be able to use imessage or icloud photos until they release it in Canada. My US apple ID has nothing on it except for some apps.
Yeah I ordered through the US apple website.
That is a good point. I’ll probably create a second AppleID on a different email and set it to the US location, to have it as a backup just in case

Rarex

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2007
I also need to figure this out. I can create a second US AppleID, but it seems impossible to activate App Store without a US card. I really hope you can make the setup. The AVP versions of apps might be tricky to get tho.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I also need to figure this out. I can create a second US AppleID, but it seems impossible to activate App Store without a US card. I really hope you can make the setup. The AVP versions of apps might be tricky to get tho.
It's been a while since I had to deal with this, but I remember there was a way to access App Store without a credit card. It involved downloading a free app. Sorry I can't remember any details.

bb147

macrumors member
May 21, 2010
I'll quote what I wrote in another international forum thread (just a theory though)
Yeah this is exactly how I have things working as well on my iPhone so I can continue to use some apps from the US. Really hope its the same on vision pro and that they don't block non-US Apple ID's from just activating the device.

bb147

macrumors member
May 21, 2010
Anyone picking up tomorrow? Could you please share the findings with a Canadian Apple ID. I won't have mine till Sunday. Thanks in advance!

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
That's an interesting idea - but unfortunately from a quick search "You cannot join the Family Sharing group if the Apple IDs are set to different countries"

Honestly, in the end I'm not too worried, get the sense that Vision Pro will launch in a few other countries this year, and if I really want to get one ASAP I can just suck it up and spend a bit extra with my American Apple ID for TV+ and such.

But first, need to see if we can have different IDs used on the device (one for iCloud, and another for media/purchases).
After I posted, I started wondering if the different countries would cause an issue. Of course it does. Bummer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.