Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

papa8706

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
What are the downsides to this/anyone currently going this route. I know in settings it does state "additional charges may apply". I have verizon unlimited data granfathered in. Can anyone enlighten me if it shares the plan or what charges I can expect? Thanks

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
What are the downsides to this/anyone currently going this route. I know in settings it does state "additional charges may apply". I have verizon unlimited data granfathered in. Can anyone enlighten me if it shares the plan or what charges I can expect? Thanks

It will cost you extra $$ to do this on the unlimited data granfathered, at least it did on mine. one of the reasons i dropped the unlimited and when went the share everything plan

falcora

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2011
As far as I know, the verizon unlimited plan doesn't allow tethering.

You could switch to a mobile share plan, and that would allow tethering.

Even though I have mobile share, I still opted for the LTE iPad because it is instant on, always connected. I don't need to pull out my iphone each time, drain the battery, waste time configuring the hotspot. If you put your ipad to sleep, it kills your hotspot and you have to pull your phone out again. It's just an inconvenience.

ZacUSNYR

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
Not sure about the details of your verizon plan or the air.

But with the iPad 2 when I got it, I had to add tethering to my iPhone 4 which cost an additional $20 a month and chopped unlimited to 4GB. With AT&Ts new data share plan (as well as Verizons), my bill is cheaper, both of my iPhones include tethering, and we share Data. (Got the 4GB shared and never had a need to add additional).

The iPad 2 I know I had to use bluetooth tethering to have GPS function as the non-3g one had no GPS chip.

I'm torn between just continuing using the bluetooth tether or spending $10 additional a month and $130 up front to get an LTE iPad.

heathpitts

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2003
This is what I have done in the past and it works well with AT&T. Use Bluetooth to connect from the iPad to the iPhone and it won't go to sleep. Saves the 10 bucks a month AT&T would charge to add the iPad as a device to my data plan.

papa8706

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
When I enabled it everything worked fine. Just scares me to see what kind of charges they may have so I turned it off. I asked a Verizon employee and she didn't have any real answers for me. Thanks for the quick responses.

ZacUSNYR

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
The bluetooth tether works really well. I have no complaints there.

It's the $130 additional purchase, $120 a year additional charge. For 2 years that's $370 I saved, which is half the cost of the iPad in the first place.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
When I enabled it everything worked fine. Just scares me to see what kind of charges they may have so I turned it off. I asked a Verizon employee and she didn't have any real answers for me. Thanks for the quick responses.

it will cost you $10 to 20 a month. They may not catch it right away but they will.

8pril

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2011
Southern Indiana

It's $30 to add the hotspot capability through Verizon. I get a discount from the company I work for and so it's $24 to add a hotspot. You can add it and remove it when you need it.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
The bluetooth tether works really well. I have no complaints there.

It's the $130 additional purchase, $120 a year additional charge. For 2 years that's $370 I saved, which is half the cost of the iPad in the first place.

^ this

For the amount of time it takes to set it up and the amout of time my ipad is out of the house it is just not worth the extra $370.

papa8706

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
It's $30 to add the hotspot capability through Verizon. I get a discount from the company I work for and so it's $24 to add a hotspot. You can add it and remove it when you need it.

Recurring $30 monthly charge? I know the service charges for the ipad 2 wifi-3g was pushing like 29.99 a month. So even then its really not too bad to activate when needed.

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
Recurring $30 monthly charge? I know the service charges for the ipad 2 wifi-3g was pushing like 29.99 a month. So even then its really not too bad to activate when needed.

Once a jailbreak is out you can teather for free and save $30 a month:D

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
I have both grandfathered unlimited data and tethering. Costs me $44 month total with my discounts, and is totally worth it.

whyflyguy

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2014
I tried this last month, still have verizon unlimited data plan, i turned on the 29.99 hotspot for a day, on my bill i was only charged $0.97 for using it that day.

I now have it turned on all the time. I have a non jailbroken iphone 6+.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.