Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

northernbaldy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 13, 2010
the north, UK
Hmm, my fingers and wrists feel great!

A long time ago I moved from mouse, to tablet and pen, because of RSI problems.
Recently the problems started to come back after using my MBP with the track pad.
I don't know why the iPad would be any different, it is after all, a giant track pad, but this weekend I'm not suffering like I was!

Ace :)

cell9477

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2010
Excruciating Pain

I've had my iPad for two days now, and to my dismay, it's causing me more and more pain to use. And that's mostly just non-typing use. When I actually type on it, it gets worse. I do have carpal tunnel, which doesn't really bother me when I use a computer. The iPad has been causing my fingers to swell -- I can see it that my wedding ring becomes impossible to take off.

From having carpal tunnel for many years and learning to manage it that it rarely bothers me, I see these problems giving me trouble:

- Having to hold it in my hands, requires using constant tension on the hand-tendons. This is a type of carpal tunnel aggravator (my doctor had some flexion-related term for it). I've tried to keep it just sitting in my lap and that helps, but doesn't quite keep it at my preferred viewing angle.

- Constant scrolling and dragging of fingers on the screen is also requiring this constant need to keep the fingers at a slight tension. On a computer keyboard, I use light key presses for scrolling, with my hands fully relaxed between presses.

- Typing on the iPad has the fingers hitting a hard surface. I have found that the softer the keys on a computer keyboard, the more they reduce the type of carpal tunnel aggravator that is caused by impact (even light tapping) to the fingers.

- Most of the touching of the iPad occurs with the iPad elevated, which means that my wrists have to be in a reverse-flex position, which is a carpal tunnel aggravator. The best wrist position is when the wrists are completely straight or down at 5-10 degrees. A wrist position like this can be attained using a laptop computer keyboard on one's lap.

I can see so many uses for the iPad, and love its gorgeous screen for use as a photography portfolio and selling/marketing tool, but I feel that with the pain it has been causing me just surfing the web on it for two days, the only use I could use it for would be for showing my photography portfolio to potential clients. And I wonder if that's enough to justify the price. I will be thinking hard about that and am going look into a 13" Mac Book Pro as an alternative, while i still have the option to return the iPad within the two-week return period.

:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.