Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kayut

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2011
On my company laptop, which is a MacBook Pro I have administration right and can install any software that I want.

The only software that is disallowed and cannot be installed is Skype.

I asked the IT support to allow me to install Skype on my laptop but couldn't convinced them.

Now I'm looking for a workaround to install Skype on my MacBook.

One way I can think of is installing a Virtual machine on my laptop and trying to install Skype on that Virtual machine.

But I know that a Virtual machine takes too much of my laptops's RAM and this might slow down my machine.

Is there any other way to bypass the security mechanism on my laptop and install Skype on it?

IceStormNG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Urm. That's probably a bad idea and against the company rules. There is probably a (legal) reason they don't allow Skype.

It's not your personal computer, but owned by your company. It's THEIR computer. Why not just install Skype onto your personal computer?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
But I know that a Virtual machine takes too much of my laptops's RAM and this might slow down my machine
This is incorrect. But I do think installing a virtual machine just to run Skype would be overkill.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Urm. That's probably a bad idea and against the company rules. There is probably a (legal) reason they don't allow Skype.

It's not your personal computer, but owned by your company. It's THEIR computer. Why not just install Skype onto your personal computer?

I agree, if the company prohibits you from installing certain software and you have actually asked them if you can install it and they have declined, I strongly suggest you don’t try to install Skype, as clearly its use is against company policy. If you do and you get caught you may face disciplinary procedures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.