Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caccamolle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
Somebody please give me an answer !
I have sort of wondered about this for many years: where/how can one practice programming in C, C++ on the Mac ? What I mean is I want to be able to simply have an editor to write, then compile and get some output to check results.
I don't want to add a huge layer of learning that is related to the Mac gui (Cocoa or similar stuff) since I don't have time or need for it.

In Windows you have those programming packages that are aboslutely great and easy to get started with (I remember C++ Builder....).
I want the same on the MAC !

How do I do that ? where ? console ? and dev. app that would facilitate the task ?

thx

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Use the Developer Tools that came with your Mac (or OS X retail box) and install that. It will give you Xcode and GCC. Then, you can use Xcode, or simply any text editor and Terminal + GCC to compile your command line C/C++ programs.

petej

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2004
Install XCode or XCode2 from the installation disk that came with your mac or from you Panther/Tiger upgrade DVD. You have a project option for a Standard tool for a simple C console application or a C++ tool for a C++ console application. This will give you a nice environment for editing / building / debugging and you will get a nice simple console application as a result. If you don't fancy using XCode then you will still have vi and gcc to get down and dirty.
You also get plenty of documentation with Xcode and it is also online.

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/XcodeUserGuide21/Contents/Resources/en.lproj/index.html

caccamolle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
thank much guys. That seems relatively straightforward. I will start to take a look 2nite when I get home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.