Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 17, 2012
I'm wondering how well Red Alert 3 works on Mountain Lion if anyone has tried it. I noticed it on sale for a couple bucks off at Mac Game Store but there was a disclaimer prominently displayed: "This product is not eligible for refunds, returns, or exchanges."

I did not notice a similar disclaimer for other games i looked at so it left me suspicious as to why there is one for this game.

By the way, I don't see C&C 3 Tiberium Wars there although it is on the EA website. Is that out of circulation now for some reason? I was just curious.

flindet

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2011
I have a 2010 27" i7 iMac running Mountain Lion. I have Red Alert 3 from macgamestore. It seems to be just a wine deal, so be aware of that. Some people are offended by that.

The game runs fine. Even late in the game it's been fairly smooth for me. I don't remember any crashes or problems, so if there were any, they're far and few between.

I want to say I've played successfully with friends on a Windows machine, but I don't remember for sure.

I can definitely understand people returning it, though, because EA does suck, not only as a company, but because to play online they make you jump through hoops creating a dumb EA account and such. And of course, I owned the Windows version of this game way back when and had some problems trying to access my account from then. I think I eventually just said screw it and created a new one.

Anyway, the game runs fine for me in Mountain Lion. Obviously, it's showing its age a bit, but it's fun and runs well for me. EA sucks, and it's a hassle to have to create and track their dumb accounts, but what are you going to do?

Overall, I'd say it's worth grabbing the game, especially if you find it on sale.

Last edited:

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 17, 2012
Hey Dirty,

We've sold thousands of copies of the game so it has relatively no issues. The no refund policy is in place, unfortunately, because lots of people tend to want to return EA games but keep the software.

In any case, if you buy the game and it doesn't work, send me a PM and we'll issue a refund just in case.

http://www.macgamestore.com/product/2029/Command-Conquer-Red-Alert-3/

Thanks. I will keep that in mind but hopefully won't need to take you up on the kind offer. I've been resistant to having yet another account and another password to keep track of but maybe I'll give Mac Game Store a try.

----------

I have a 2010 27" i7 iMac running Mountain Lion. I have Red Alert 3 from macgamestore. It seems to be just a wine deal, so be aware of that. Some people are offended by that.

The game runs fine. Even late in the game it's been fairly smooth for me. I don't remember any crashes or problems, so if there were any, they're far and few between.

Thanks very much for the details about the game and how it runs for you on ML. That's encouraging news. It's a title I own for Windows but I'd much rather play it on Mac. Cider or WINE doesn't bother me at all, as long as the game works. I'm fine with that. I do think native ports are superior and prefer them but if there's no other way to get a game and it is reported to work well, good enough I figure.

flindet

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2011
Well, I can't promise anything, because I don't know your exact setup. I only know my own experience with the title, but if you're going to hold a gun to my head and force me to guess, I'd go with: you'll probably be fine and have a good time. I think it's a safe purchase. My sincere apologies if it turns out that's not the case, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
Are you really sure you want Red Alert 3 to begin with?

It's a "Cider" port, so it's not a native Mac game. Mac systems are powerful enough today that you can generally run EA's Cider ports roughly as well as the PC version, but Cider in itself seems to be unstable in certain situations and doesn't fare well with time (it's a bit of a fragile setup and is prone to breaking with Apple's updates).

Red Alert 3 in general is a horrible game. It was a giant turd pushed out by EA's Franchise Factory, and sucked nearly as much as Command and Conquer 4 did (which was one of the worst games I have ever played).

It's basically Just Another RTS, but with a bunch of women wearing tight tiny uniforms everywhere. I'm not sure who their target demographic was for Red Alert 3 because it wasn't the same group of people Red Alert and Red Alert 2 targeted. Maybe that's your sort of thing, maybe not, but I've always felt that RA3 made a huge mockery of everything the franchise ever stood for.

Command and Conquer 3 was "OK". Not great, not bad, just average. It wasn't nearly as horrible as C&C4 or RA3. If you're really looking to buy one of those games, I'd highly recommend C&C3 instead. RA3 is just... I dunno. It seemed like an unprofessional gimmick targeted at teenagers or something.

-SC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.