Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Warini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2004
Hi í´m a mac user but in my college they only teach c#, what programming lenguage can I learn for cross plataform, I wanna have my apps working in mac, linux, and the one I hate :mad: (Micro$oft Window$).

I was thinking of java, but i don´t know if c++ or something like that would be the best choice.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Warini said:
Hi í´m a mac user but in my college they only teach c#, what programming lenguage can I learn for cross plataform, I wanna have my apps working in mac, linux, and the one I hate :mad: (Micro$oft Window$).

I was thinking of java, but i don´t know if c++ or something like that would be the best choice.

Java is really probably the only OS dependant one. If you need to code in c there's always VPC.

Warini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2004
I only wan´t to have the posibility to compile for mac, windows or linux, wich is the programing lenguage for me

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
7on said:
Java is really probably the only OS dependant one. If you need to code in c there's always VPC.
I think that you need to stop taking whatever it is that you are taking. Java is OS-independent. You most definitely don't need VPC to program in C. The opensource C compiler, gcc, comes preinstalled on all new Macs. It is an integral part of Xtools.

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
c# is not even a real language. It does not deserve to exist. Its just another pethetic attempt by our buddies at microsoft to make a difference in the world.

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
You have to options:

- You can download Microsoft's implementation of the .NET CLI for MacOSX from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FA-7462-47D0-8E56-8DD34C6292F0&displaylang=en
I doesn't have the libraries (CLR), though.

- You can also give Mono a try: http://www.go-mono.org
I've heard good things about it, and also that you can work on it on any platform and then compile using Visual Studio .NET and 99% of the time it'll work.

I personally preffer Java, but if you don't have a choice, then one of the above options may help you.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
You can easily program in C and C++ on Mac OSX, but unless you stick to pure command-line interface programs and pure ansi-c, it's difficult to make cross platform C and C++ programs.

If you want to build cross platform compilable programs in C and C++ with a graphical user interface, then you need to use a cross platform GUI-toolkit like Qt (not Quicktime) from trolltech. Qt is quite expensive, but maybe they have some student deals? I don't know of any free toolkits.

Java is really the best choice as it will allow you to be productive on all platforms. It's just too bad that Microsoft hasn't made a deal with Sun and bundled Sun's own Java runtime environment in Windows.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
JSP

CmdrLaForge said:

I don't know of any programmers for Windows that consider Real Basic over Visual Basic. The last review of Real Basic that I read for Mac OS X wasn't very good. I wonder if this product may die.

I would think JSP would be a better choice. Java is the core technology and your code logic is separated from your presentation code (HTML). It's all open source so you don't have to pay for software and it will work on Mac OS X, Windows, UNIX, and Linux.

Thom_Edwards

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2003
BornAgainMac said:
I don't know of any programmers for Windows that consider Real Basic over Visual Basic. The last review of Real Basic that I read for Mac OS X wasn't very good. I wonder if this product may die.

I would think JSP would be a better choice. Java is the core technology and your code logic is separated from your presentation code (HTML). It's all open source so you don't have to pay for software and it will work on Mac OS X, Windows, UNIX, and Linux.

i doubt that REALbasic is going away any time soon. we have a pretty good line of communication with the guys there in austin, and they seem pretty solid as far as keeping it going in an already positive direction. i've met a couple of the engineers there--cool and *very* intelligent people.

we program for windows (and mac) and we use it for everything, so you can't say anyone programming for windows chooses visualbasic. rbv6 is due for release by the end of the year and will be pretty great.

ok, i don't work for real software, so enough with the plug.

jsp is java server pages, so i don't think you can suggest using that instead of c#.

as others have suggested, mono is supposed to be pretty good for non-win c# development. there are a lot of people supporting it, so i'm sure it will continue to improve. java is java. talk to 'hard corps' programmers and they scoff at it. talk to enterprise it managers and fortune 500 people, they love it.

personally, i don't see anything wrong with learning c#. you *will* be able to find a job using it. in fact, you've got a better shot finding a job with c# skills than you do with objective-c (with or without cocoa). just learn a language. all the oop stuff is the same for the most part. (there are some differences, but that is beyond the scope of this....) once you get the feel for objects and such, the syntactical differences are a minor issue when moving to a new language.

pigwin32

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2003
Oakura
Go Mono

jalagl said:
- You can download Microsoft's implementation of the .NET CLI for MacOSX from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FA-7462-47D0-8E56-8DD34C6292F0&displaylang=en
I doesn't have the libraries (CLR), though.

- You can also give Mono a try: http://www.go-mono.org
I've heard good things about it, and also that you can work on it on any platform and then compile using Visual Studio .NET and 99% of the time it'll work.
Forget the Microsoft version, get Mono, there is a full Mac OS X install available. Mono is the open source and free version of the MS .Net environment. Personally I anticipate we will see support for C# within the Mac OS X development tools, perhaps as early as Tiger (pure speculation), eventually providing full support for C# Cocoa development. There is no question that C# is becoming a very popular language and Mono is cross platform. Plus Mozilla is talking about Mono to compete with Longhorn.

C# is also a good tool for learning OO development. My background is c/c++ and C# is a refreshing change. With c/c++ there is a large amount of arcane knowledge required just to get off the ground plus many pitfalls for novice developers, with C# you can concentrate on the design of your software. I'm not a C# evangelist but right now is a good time to be learning C# and you can do it natively on your Mac.

MacNeXT

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2004
Some people hate C#. I've never used it, only Java and C++. I like Java, and some people say C# is better than Java. But that's not the point. The question should be '.NET for Mac OS X?'. The philosophy of .NET is 'use whatever language you like'.

With mono, I think we have some interesting times ahead of us. From what I read, the product is really getting mature. I think we will have 100% cross compatiblity (including GUI) between windows, linux and mac os x in the future. And it's perfectly possible for an Obj-C compiler to appear for .NET.

Wasn't the OPENSTEP(now Cocoa) effort, with Yellow Box for Windows, the same thing? Are there any differences apart from implementation?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.