Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
It seems that the CA DMV is now in pilot phase for the digital driver license app.

You can download it from the App Store, and setup your digital ID: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ca-dmv-wallet/id6449002508

Well I got one and had the opportunity to use it the week before Labor Day with the TSA at LAX in Terminal 5. Basically a total failure 😨 . They would not recognize it nor would they accept it. They still required a physical government issued photo ID (typically a driver license or a passport).

arian19

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Well I got one and had the opportunity to use it the week before Labor Day with the TSA at LAX in Terminal 5. Basically a total failure 😨 . They would not recognize it nor would they accept it. They still required a physical government issued photo ID (typically a driver license or a passport).
Yep, it’s still in the pilot phase

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
The site says LAX and SFO are the pilot sites, you probably got it before the TSA knew about it ;)

I installed and kept wondering how it will really work when you have to show your ID in the DMV app and your boarding pass in the alley (or airline app), seems cloogy …

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.