Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnArtist

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
New York
I just bought a refurbished 2020 iMac 27" from Apple. I want to transfer (target disk mode) from my old 2013 27" iMac. Confused about cables. Looking for a Thunderbolt (1) cable with a Thunderbolt-3 (USB-3) adaptor on one end for the 2020 (*IF* I got this right). Apple wants $50 for the adaptor alone and $29 for the Thunderbolt 1 cable.

Any cheaper alternatives that you know of?? Thanks!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'd suggest you use an external drive instead.

Did you already set up the new one?
Or is it still "in the box" (or as-yet unarrived)?

Ethernet cable might be possible, too.

But I'd consider the best way is to make a backup (of the old Mac) to an external drive,
then
Set up the new Mac, connect the external backup,
then
Press the power on button on the new one for the first time
then
Run through setup and use setup assistant to "migrate" your data.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
If you just want to migrate from old mac to new mac using migration assistant, simply connect the two directly with a regular ethernet cable, and migration assistant automatically detects and uses the connection. No need for target disk mode. This is what I did for 2014 to 2020 iMac. It is ridiculously simple (which for some people is a bit disappointing ;) )

Last edited:

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
I just bought a refurbished 2020 iMac 27" from Apple. I want to transfer (target disk mode) from my old 2013 27" iMac. Confused about cables. Looking for a Thunderbolt (1) cable with a Thunderbolt-3 (USB-3) adaptor on one end for the 2020 (*IF* I got this right). Apple wants $50 for the adaptor alone and $29 for the Thunderbolt 1 cable.

Any cheaper alternatives that you know of?? Thanks!

What actually do you want to transfer?
Below is an ancient solution, available from 1997 as I remember (my first experience with it)

If they are only files stored on the hard drive, then join all of them in a folder, and share it over the network.
From the new computer, find that network drive and just pick the one you like.
Both computers must be on the same subnet. If you are a normal user with only 1 network router in the house, you have been probable already in that situation.

JohnArtist

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
New York
If you just want to migrate from old mac to new mac using migration assistant, simply connect the two directly with a regular ethernet cable, and migration assistant automatically detects and uses the connection. No need for target disk mode. This is what I did for 2014 to 2020 iMac. It is ridiculously simple (which for some people is a bit disappointing ;) )
Thanks! I will give this a try.However, I do admit being disappointed with having it so simple. I was looking forward to buying adaptor cables, polishing cloths, iPentagram summoning stars, and creepy candles to complete the transfer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.