Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robotrenegade

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
Greenville,SC
Ok my mom just got a cable modem today. I have dsl at my house so I'm not sure if i'm doing everything right. The problem is, the airport is not getting an ip address from the modem. I just un-pluged everything for 8min and still nothing(This is applecare said to do.) The modem works fine when hooked up to a computer direct. Anyone have any hints at all. This is really getting to me. Shes running 10.2.6 and all the newest versions of airport/basestation etc.

demonx

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2002
Seems your having the same problem I had

Some good replies so maybe one of thier tips will work for you.

robotrenegade

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
Greenville,SC
GIVE US OUR FREEDOM

OH MY GOD!!!! OK this only took 2 days to figure out.

My cable company (ssshhh Adelphia) does this thing called *Hardware Capture* which means the first computer to use the IP address in the only one that can. It saves the hardware code from your computer so it knows when it should and shouldn't ping it. Well i found this out and this is what i did.

1: I told them that I wanted to change my main computer to another, when I did that I hooked it up to the airport. And everything worked.

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
exact same problem....

Strange! I had the same problem about 2 days ago. I finally used google to search for answers. Ended up that I didnt need to call adelphia, all I had to do was unplug both the airport extreme and the cable modem. Then wait like 30 seconds, plug the two together via ethernet cord, then plug in the modem, wait for it to reset then plug in the Airport....

All that headache for something so damn simple.....

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
wow that is crazy, im surprised they let you switch, especially to a router. most companies are cracking down wanting you to buy mulitpe ip's. how stupid.

iJon

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Re: GIVE US OUR FREEDOM

Originally posted by robotrenegade
OH MY GOD!!!! OK this only took 2 days to figure out.

My cable company (ssshhh Adelphia) does this thing called *Hardware Capture* which means the first computer to use the IP address in the only one that can. It saves the hardware code from your computer so it knows when it should and shouldn't ping it. Well i found this out and this is what i did.

1: I told them that I wanted to change my main computer to another, when I did that I hooked it up to the airport. And everything worked.

That hardware code that your talking about is the MAC address which is a method of regulating which computers are allowed to connect to their cable modem. As somebody else said, I'm surprised they let you switch it to a router, what you usually have to do is change the MAC address on the basestation to the address of what you had hooked up orginally.

BEN

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
with most cable modems, this is fixed simply by completely unplugging the cable modem and then plugging it in while its connected to the airport.

i spent a few minutes rummaging through the pdf's for airport extreme and failed to find documentation on a simple function it SHOULD have. if it doesnt, then i won't buy the one i had been planning for. this is the ability to change/clone its MAC address. this would enable you to 'fake' the address of the computer that was already receiving the IP. can someone confirm whether or not its there?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.