Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

somo

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2006
BB, Slovakia
CAd Systems

:p Try PowerCADD it's been there from the start and it's not that expensive, oh and don't forget the best one - vectorworks 12.
There is a lot of other stuff also like TurboCAD an similar...:D :p

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
somo said:
:p Try PowerCADD it's been there from the start and it's not that expensive, oh and don't forget the best one - vectorworks 12.
There is a lot of other stuff also like TurboCAD an similar...:D :p

Just upgraded to PC7, been on it since PC4, its the bomb.

derboy

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2004
UK
I use solidworks (PC) then use cinema 4d to render on mac. Its a great modeller to. Maxwell render is available on the mac, and is simply stunning.

-Oh, and i really dont get on with vectorworks. More of a house layout program!

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
derboy said:
I use solidworks (PC) then use cinema 4d to render on mac. Its a great modeller to. Maxwell render is available on the mac, and is simply stunning.

-Oh, and i really dont get on with vectorworks. More of a house layout program!

Different CAD products are aimed at different markets which have different needs. VectorWorks is marketed foremost towards the construction industry whereas Solidworks is focused on product design.....so they come from two quite different starting points as software products.

3 D modeling and CAD are often lumped together into one catagory which can be misleading because somebody who only needs 2 D drawing would most likely buy a different product than somebody who doesnt need 2 D drawing but requires modeling and rendering.

If you go to apple.com>made4mac>2D/3D graphics & animation you'll find search catagories for both "CAD" and "3D Design & Modeling". Pick which interests you and you'll find a list of products.

pelagi

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2005
As far as product/industrial design, Ashlar Vellum's Argon is great. Its just like Rhino3D with some added functionality for the same price here in Australia, all up excellent value. I've haven't used the top-of-the-line Cobalt, but I think it would be pretty slick, great OSX integration and intuitiveness. They are currently porting their product line to intel mac but don't give a timeline, but they've had a development machine from early on. http://www.ashlar.com

TangoCharlie

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2004
Horsham, West Sussex
Goto architosh!

Go to http://www.architosh.com.

It's dedicated to CAD/3D/CAE/CAM/AEC on the Mac platform.

I can tell you for a fact that AutoCAD is _not_ available. Autodesk appeear to be tightly locked into a Microsoft only world. They used to do unix versions, but not any more. It's a shame because they locked themselves out of the up-and-coming Linux platform. Even UGS PLM has startd to think about Linux as a serious platform now.

However, there are CAD options for the Mac, and you find out them all at architosh.

bib

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2006
We're currently evaluating ConceptsUnlimited 3.0. I can see the limitations, but for most drafting, geometric and structured freeform surface & solid modeling, rendering, animation and so on, it's shaping up nicely. It also looks way cool like a proper osx app !! http://www.csi-concepts.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.