Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grogglenoggle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2017
So I just bought a Caldigit TS3+ dock to use with my 15” 2018 MBP and though it seems to be working fine, I found two issues for which I’d like to confirm wether they’re common/normal as I’m currently debating internally whether I should return/exchange it:

• When using the headphone port on the dock there is a constant audio hiss on the background (almost like the hiss that you usually have with active noise cancelling headphones when nothing is playing) that becomes louder when I increase the volume. Below 75% volume it’s barely audible, but above it becomes noticeable especially if there is no sound playing or when listening to soft classical music.

I checked already to make sure it is not due my MBP’s TB3 ports, and there is no hiss if I connect the headphones directly to a TB3 port using the apple TB-AUX adapter, nor do I think it is caused by my my outlets as I have the same problem when using the setup in a different room which has a separate power circuit. I also checked with three different headphones from Sony, Sennheiser and Audio-Technica to eliminate any potential headphone-related issue.​

• When I shut down the computer any USB HDs and USB accessories (such as a Blue Snowball mic) that are connected to the USB-A ports do not turn off unless I also disconnect power to the dock. In fact, at the moment of shutdown the attached HDs and mic also seem to power down briefly but then spring back to life after a split second despite the MBP not being powered on anymore.
This seems rather counterproductive, not to mention potentially damaging for attached HDs, especially as the cheap Amazon Basics powered USB3 dock that I had attached previously would actually allow attached devices to properly power down, and stay off, at computer shut down time.​

The TS3+ came with the latest 44.1 firmware already installed, and I did install the [USB Charging, Apple SuperDrive, Apple Keyboard, and Improved iPhone/iPad Charging] driver that’s available on their site. I have already tried deinstalling the latter, by removing the ktext it puts in the library, but that does not change the issues I’m seeing...

So basically I wanted to ask any other TS3+ users here the following:

• Do you also experience a hiss on the analogue audio-out port or would it seem something may be may be defective on my unit there?

• And in regards to the second issue, is this actually normal behaviour or is my unit acting strangely there too? I did find a comment on Amazon where the person said that only the USB-C ports, but not the USB-A ports, allow for attached device power-off at shutdown time but this is the only mention I could find on this behaviour. Are others here seeing this too?

I still have two weeks to return my unit, but given that it does not have any coil whine (which some people seem to have encountered on their units and which would drive me crazy tbh) I first want to make sure whether these two issues are ubiquitous and/or normal before I decide to return/exchange it and risk getting a whining replacement...

Thx in advance for any and all input!

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
I can't offer anything on the first point as I don't use headphones or anything like that.
On the second point I am unsure whether the HDD's should stop as they're powered from elsewhere (presumably).
When you sleep the laptop do the lights go off on the TS3+ after a few seconds? It's own sleep mode.
Mine do - the one on the front and the red one on the optical port at the back.

Successful Sorcerer

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2019
About the headphone jack, do you have the same problem when you disconnect everything from the dock and only connect the headphones to the dock (and dock to mac). Sometimes it's an external device causing interference.

coolajami

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2009
I experienced similar problems with the audio of the TS3+. I'm using a TS3+ and I discovered recently that the optical output has significant issues (audio dropouts, distortion etc). Also, the audio from the analogue output is barely acceptable due to interference. I ended up using my speakers in bluetooth mode as my dock is out of guarantee and it does not seem Caldigit will be helping me on this.

After a bit of digging I found that audio issues apparently are common with many docks, including the TS3+, not sure why. Most likely, the integrated audio interface does not blend well with boards with multiple ports, plus there is a powerful power brick that passes 100W through a small dock (with an external metal enclosure, not sure that helps as well). So when the dock translates the audio to an optical/analogue signal, the same time gets significant RF interference.

You can reduce the interference, but it may not dissapear completely. Follow these steps:
  1. Check for ground loop issues (google it if you don't know much about it, simplest way to solve this with the peripherals that are in the vicinity of the dock, is to stick all the plugs of your devices in the same outlet, preferably a surge suppressor, rather using different wall sockets for each one. May not work always though). As mentioned above, the main way to check for interferences, is to disconnect everything (including HiFi systems that are in the same room with the dock, radios etc), and leave only the dock connected to the laptop (so there is only a active socket) and check the audio again. If you find that the interference disappeared, you have a ground loop issue. You should be able to find the responsible peripheral through the process of elimination (check each peripheral independently if it causes interference when powered).
  2. Make sure that the power bricks do not stack up next to each other to avoid amplification of any RF interference (e.g the TS3+ one next to the monitor one, which is next to the printer one etc).
  3. Finally try to use good quality audio cables (100% oxygen free coper with gold plated connectors). This is more relevant if you're using speakers.
if the above do not work, I would contact Caldigit arguing in favor of a replacement, if your unit is still within the guarantee.

If you're not covered by the guarantee, you may find useful a ground loop noise isolator ( its a 3.5mm male to female audio filter) that is fairly cheap (About 15$) that could be of significant benefit. You just stick it in the audio output and you connect your headphones on this, but make sure you get a good quality one.

Another option, that I personally recommend, is the use of an external USB-audio interface, so you could bypass the internal audio interface completely. Behringer U-Control is dirty cheap and gives you multiple choices for audio ports (this little box of magic suggested to me, when I was asking help for my problems with the optical audio port and literally worth every penny). I'm still bummed because I added this in order to get exactly the same ports that TS3+ already has, but performs far better.

Regarding your second question, it is known issue (again!!!) that the Caldigit TS3+ will not power down the USB-A ports when the computer is shut but still connected for charging. They said that may be fixing this in the future through a software update. Maybe.
USB-C ports however should power down when your laptop is shut.

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I have my speakers connected to the analog output on my TS3+ and have not noticed any hiss or ground loop noise. I haven't had any use for the optical output so I can't say how that works.

Reactions: jagooch

Grogglenoggle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2017
About the headphone jack, do you have the same problem when you disconnect everything from the dock and only connect the headphones to the dock (and dock to mac). Sometimes it's an external device causing interference.

I experienced similar problems with the audio of the TS3+. I'm using a TS3+ and I discovered recently that the optical output has significant issues (audio dropouts, distortion etc). Also, the audio from the analogue output is barely acceptable due to interference. I ended up using my speakers in bluetooth mode as my dock is out of guarantee and it does not seem Caldigit will be helping me on this.

After a bit of digging I found that audio issues apparently are common with many docks, including the TS3+, not sure why. Most likely, the integrated audio interface does not blend well with boards with multiple ports, plus there is a powerful power brick that passes 100W through a small dock (with an external metal enclosure, not sure that helps as well). So when the dock translates the audio to an optical/analogue signal, the same time gets significant RF interference.

You can reduce the interference, but it may not dissapear completely. Follow these steps:

[snip]

if the above do not work, I would contact Caldigit arguing in favor of a replacement, if your unit is still within the guarantee.

If you're not covered by the guarantee, you may find useful a ground loop noise isolator ( its a 3.5mm male to female audio filter) that is fairly cheap (About 15$) that could be of significant benefit. You just stick it in the audio output and you connect your headphones on this, but make sure you get a good quality one.

Another option, that I personally recommend, is the use of an external USB-audio interface, so you could bypass the internal audio interface completely. Behringer U-Control is dirty cheap and gives you multiple choices for audio ports (this little box of magic suggested to me, when I was asking help for my problems with the optical audio port and literally worth every penny). I'm still bummed because I added this in order to get exactly the same ports that TS3+ already has, but performs far better.

I have my speakers connected to the analog output on my TS3+ and have not noticed any hiss or ground loop noise. I haven't had any use for the optical output so I can't say how that works.

Thx for the input all! I already tried removing all other connected devices and eliminating any outside electrical wiring RF sources, but to no avail. I'm still within my two week return period, so likely I'll send it back to Apple for a refund and try to get another one which will hopefully not have the hiss I'm getting on my unit (and which will hopefully not have coil whine either, which is the reason why I was considering living with the interference in the first place).

I can't offer anything on the first point as I don't use headphones or anything like that.
On the second point I am unsure whether the HDD's should stop as they're powered from elsewhere (presumably).
When you sleep the laptop do the lights go off on the TS3+ after a few seconds? It's own sleep mode.
Mine do - the one on the front and the red one on the optical port at the back.

Regarding your second question, it is known issue (again!!!) that the Caldigit TS3+ will not power down the USB-A ports when the computer is shut but still connected for charging. They said that may be fixing this in the future through a software update. Maybe.
USB-C ports however should power down when your laptop is shut.

Yeah, lights actually go out when I sleep or shut down the MBP. However, my HDDs are WD MyBooks and they are connected to their own power supplies (so not drawing power from the host), but they actually lack a physical off-switch. Normally when they are connected to the MBP (directly or through a hub such as the aforementioned powered Amazon Basics USB 3.1 hub) and the computer shuts down these drives will also shut down (I'm not sure how that works internally but presumably they get a shutdown signal from the computer) even if connected to power. Same happens with the USB mic I have attached.

However, when these devices are connected to the TS3+ they never shut down (and at least for the HDDs this is not a case of being powered by the TS3+). Or rather, they seem to briefly shut down (the indicator light on the USB mic goes off for a split second and the HDDs spin down) when the MBP powers down but then come back to life as if the TS3+ gives them a wake-up signal or something.

I have for now connected the TS3+ to a remote-switchable outlet so that I can easily cut the power to the dock itself, but I don't really consider that ideal tbh.

As said above, I'll be sending the dock back to Apple for a refund based on the audio hiss anyway, but now I'm wondering whether I should try a new TS3+ in it's place or to try the OWC 14-port TB3 dock. I like the TS3+'s minimal footprint though, and I can't find any info on whether the OWC dock would exhibit the same USB-A behaviour or not... decisions decisions?

coolajami

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2009
Thx for the input all! I already tried removing all other connected devices and eliminating any outside electrical wiring RF sources, but to no avail. I'm still within my two week return period, so likely I'll send it back to Apple for a refund and try to get another one which will hopefully not have the hiss I'm getting on my unit (and which will hopefully not have coil whine either, which is the reason why I was considering living with the interference in the first place).

Yeah, lights actually go out when I sleep or shut down the MBP. However, my HDDs are WD MyBooks and they are connected to their own power supplies (so not drawing power from the host), but they actually lack a physical off-switch. Normally when they are connected to the MBP (directly or through a hub such as the aforementioned powered Amazon Basics USB 3.1 hub) and the computer shuts down these drives will also shut down (I'm not sure how that works internally but presumably they get a shutdown signal from the computer) even if connected to power. Same happens with the USB mic I have attached.

However, when these devices are connected to the TS3+ they never shut down (and at least for the HDDs this is not a case of being powered by the TS3+). Or rather, they seem to briefly shut down (the indicator light on the USB mic goes off for a split second and the HDDs spin down) when the MBP powers down but then come back to life as if the TS3+ gives them a wake-up signal or something.

I have for now connected the TS3+ to a remote-switchable outlet so that I can easily cut the power to the dock itself, but I don't really consider that ideal tbh.

As said above, I'll be sending the dock back to Apple for a refund based on the audio hiss anyway, but now I'm wondering whether I should try a new TS3+ in it's place or to try the OWC 14-port TB3 dock. I like the TS3+'s minimal footprint though, and I can't find any info on whether the OWC dock would exhibit the same USB-A behaviour or not... decisions decisions?

Any chance you try the optical output of the TS3+ and give us your feedback how it works for you?

Regarding the USB-A power down issue, does your devices still working even if you disconnect the thunderbolt cable that connects the MacBook with the dock? I don't have external powered HDs so I cannot check that, but devices that are powered by USB-A seem to go to sleep in my case.

Brad Smith

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2003
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Do you also experience a hiss on the analogue audio-out port or would it seem something may be may be defective on my unit there?
I've been having issues with audio output/input on the TS3+, as well as with any devices connected either downstream of the dock, or just simply plugged into another port on the MacBook Pro than the TS3+.

The audio/headphone output on the CalDigit TS3+ has a little interference to it (a slight hiss and some artifacts in the audio itself — popping and clicks, sometimes random or somethings in line with adjusting volume output, etc.).

The audio input also introduces a hum and noise to any recordings.

Even worse, though, the TS3+ is introducing some sort of electrical issue (ground loop? other interference?) to any other devices connected either downstream (via USB on the CalDigit) or adjacently (another USB-C port on the actual computer). I've got an SSL 2+ USB audio interface which I use the monitor outputs on. When the CalDigit TS3+ is connected to the computer — regardless of whether the SSL2+ is connected directly to it or directly to the computer — the monitor outputs have a loud hum. This hum does not exist if I remove the CalDigit TS3+ and run the computer instead with the original laptop power adapter, or off battery on the laptop or iPad Pro.

• Wow
Reactions: coolajami

coolajami

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2009
I've been having issues with audio output/input on the TS3+, as well as with any devices connected either downstream of the dock, or just simply plugged into another port on the MacBook Pro than the TS3+.

The audio/headphone output on the CalDigit TS3+ has a little interference to it (a slight hiss and some artifacts in the audio itself — popping and clicks, sometimes random or somethings in line with adjusting volume output, etc.).

The audio input also introduces a hum and noise to any recordings.

Even worse, though, the TS3+ is introducing some sort of electrical issue (ground loop? other interference?) to any other devices connected either downstream (via USB on the CalDigit) or adjacently (another USB-C port on the actual computer). I've got an SSL 2+ USB audio interface which I use the monitor outputs on. When the CalDigit TS3+ is connected to the computer — regardless of whether the SSL2+ is connected directly to it or directly to the computer — the monitor outputs have a loud hum. This hum does not exist if I remove the CalDigit TS3+ and run the computer instead with the original laptop power adapter, or off battery on the laptop or iPad Pro.
Βloody Hell!
I start feeling that I should be happy that my main complaint was the optical audio dropouts.

What you're describing definitely fits the description of a ground loop interference from the Caldigit dock.
I've read quite a few reports of people stating that replacing the power brick of the dock solved the issue (apparently Caldigit is not very resistant to such requests if you're unit still covered by the guarantee).

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
I have bookshelf speakers connected to the mini-stereo audio out without any issues, you might have a defective unit. Do note , as I recently discovered, the Caldigit TS3+ dock does not support the new iPad Pro 11. You'll get all kinds of errors when it's connected to the dock. It works find when connected directly to the Macbook.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I have bookshelf speakers connected to the mini-stereo audio out without any issues, you might have a defective unit. Do note , as I recently discovered, the Caldigit TS3+ dock does not support the new iPad Pro 11. You'll get all kinds of errors when it's connected to the dock. It works find when connected directly to the Macbook.
This is because the TS3+ is purely a Thunderbolt device, and no current iPad supports Thunderbolt. You need a USB-C dock with iPads at this point. Caldigit has the USB-C Pro Dock and the USB-C HDMI dock which support both Thunderbolt and USB-C.

Reactions: Ifti

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
This is because the TS3+ is purely a Thunderbolt device, and no current iPad supports Thunderbolt. You need a USB-C dock with iPads at this point. Caldigit has the USB-C Pro Dock and the USB-C HDMI dock which support both Thunderbolt and USB-C.
It definitely has a USB-C and USB-A port in the front. Looking at the documentation, the front USB-C port is 3.1 Gen 1 and the rear USB-C port is 3.1 Gen 2. Both say "data only" with is fine with me, I only need a data connection.

I'll give the rear port a try.

Cue the "rear port" jokes.

Update: I connected my iPad Pro to the read USB-C port and it's working. I'm not getting the constant "USB... disabled" warnings that I get with the front port. So iPad Pro 11" Gen 2 must require USB 3.1 Gen 2.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 3.19.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 3.19.47 PM.png
    37.6 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
It definitely has a USB-C and USB-A port in the front. Looking at the documentation, the front USB-C port is 3.1 Gen 1 and the rear USB-C port is 3.1 Gen 2. Both say "data only" with is fine with me, I only need a data connection.

I'll give the rear port a try.

Cue the "rear port" jokes.

Update: I connected my iPad Pro to the read USB-C port and it's working. I'm not getting the constant "USB... disabled" warnings that I get with the front port. So iPad Pro 11" Gen 2 must require USB 3.1 Gen 2.
Oh, I thought you were trying to use the dock as a dock for the iPad. You can download a driver for the power output from Caldigit.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
Oh, I thought you were trying to use the dock as a dock for the iPad. You can download a driver for the power output from Caldigit.
I never thought of doing that. I'm still surprised I can connect a bluetooth keyboard and mouse to my Ipad. I'm behind the times.

My displays are 2 LG Ultrafine Thunderbolt displays. I might try connecting my iPad Pro to one just to see if it works. I heard iPad's can drive a single external display. I'm pretty certain that I'd pass out from surprise if it works.

I'd be like "who knew?".

Everyone except me, that's who. :)

Update: it worked with TB cable to the monitor's TB port. It didn't work with USB-C cable to TB or USB-C ports on the back of the display. I was able to use the iPad in "desktop" mode including playing audio through monitor's speakers. That nifty. I don't have a need for it, but it's good to know that that feature is there.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: coolajami

Grogglenoggle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2017
Well, first and foremost apologies for my late follow-up, but I completely forgot about this thread...?

Anyway, to finish the story, I returned the first TS3+ to Apple and was then stuck as new docks were absolutely impossible to get here (for a non-ridiculously eye-watering price at least) on mainland Europe for a while, thanks to the whole Brexit shenanigans.

Once that annoying issue was somewhat in the past I got a new TS3+ unit, but this one too had a (slightly less) noisy audio out, and worse, developed an absolutely unbearable coil whine two days in. So back it went and I tried a third and final one, but again this one had audio-out noise issues as bad as the first one and also had audible coil whine when it was being 'stressed' (2 monitors connected and three hard drives going at it).

A one-off problematic unit I can still dust off as a possible fluke, but three different units all having nearly the same issues strikes me as shoddy QC to be honest. So no more CalDigit products for me from hereon.

In the end I went for the OWC 14-port TB dock, with some trepidation as I read some chilling user reviews, but apart from an issue where the ethernet port refuses to be activated on cold boot/restart everything works smoothly and silently. The ethernet issue is annoying, but using ifconfig and some Keyboard Maestro magic I concocted a fairly easy and failproof workaround that is able to automatically re-establish the connection at login, thus making the issue kind of moot.

BartConway

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2021
For what it is worth, I just got and returned the TS3 Plus, because it wasn't providing consistent power through the USB-C ports to my SSDs. One attached was okay, but with a second attached (on any port, regardless of its speed), problems would start immediately. Write speeds would plummet, and then one of the drives would error and unmount itself. Ouch.

• Sad

Huracan

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2007
I haven't experienced any hiss on the analog audio output of the Caldigit TS3 Plus. I use Sennheiser HD598 headphones with it and I very rarely go beyond 2 or 3 bars of volume on my MacBook. At a slight risk of damaging my ears if there was a sudden and unexpected notification or sound coming from my computer I raised the volume to max to see if I could hear any hiss. Nope, absolute silence. I get pretty good sound quality out of the TS3 Plus analog audio. I wonder whether your issue was related to your specific headphones. Sorry to hear that it didn't work for you. I've had my unit for over a year and quite happy with it. I found your thread while looking for information about the audio DAC/AMP of the TS3 Plus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.